PDA

View Full Version : I need your help with Underpainting rose

Gina dada
06-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Hello people.

I need some help from those who know how to paint. I want to paint a rose with underpainting technique, but I barely know that I have to paint with a background tone and render my rose picture through all its tones in monochrome painting. Please, tell me what monochrome painting (acrylic) I should mix before and yet underpainting is done what colours (acrylic too) could I paint with.

This is the photo reference:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2015/1178834-rose.jpg

Thanks I wait for your comments !

Andrew
06-21-2015, 04:30 AM
It all depends on what purpose you want the underpainting to serve.

If you want to cover the white and set down a value pattern as a guide, then something in a grisaille or an burnt umber or burnt sienna would be a great start.

Now if you are going with more transparent layers, then you have more options. Personally, I would go with a chromium oxide green underpainting for the rose, and an earthy red for the foliage and background. But if you want the shadows more violet, then a warm blue (like ultramarine) for the rose would be a good start.

Andrew

Charlie's Mum
06-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Here are a couple of WIPs which might help you -

In the Red (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324320)- by Nitsa

The Rose (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165721) by Odge

both are in our Hall of Fame sub forum, above the main forum page.

Gina dada
06-21-2015, 11:53 AM
It all depends on what purpose you want the underpainting to serve.

If you want to cover the white and set down a value pattern as a guide, then something in a grisaille or an burnt umber or burnt sienna would be a great start.

Now if you are going with more transparent layers, then you have more options. Personally, I would go with a chromium oxide green underpainting for the rose, and an earthy red for the foliage and background. But if you want the shadows more violet, then a warm blue (like ultramarine) for the rose would be a good start.

Andrew

Hello Andrew.

You are very kind by reply me.
Let me ask you something.

I'm not very familiar with underpainting technique so this is total new for me. You suggest that I beggin painting the rose on thin layers of oxide green or blue If I want violet shadows. So the goal is get the colors by its complementary ? So I have to paint progressively thin layers of red for the foliage until I get the green ? If so how many layers should I apply ?

Thanks again !

LavenderFrost
06-21-2015, 01:11 PM
There are many ways to do this. I guess you should choose what appeals to you. From my experience in painting with red I will just add one thing, that red is usually very transparent. I have under-painted the mid-tones and found it was too dark later. If I really want something to be red I leave it white underneath and just under-paint the dark areas. Then paint the lightest areas last.

Charlie's Mum
06-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Did you check the links I gave you?
Michelle is right about the transparency of red, so avoid going too dark with the underpainting.