PDA

View Full Version : Old Hotel

ural jones
06-20-2015, 02:34 PM
This is a study I am trying to get the light and shadows working. I scanned this piece and it seems quite different than IRL...but, we all fuss a bit about that.I did this little sketch in my spare hours.

:rolleyes: I wonder what ya'll think ???

I've been away working with the g-son w/ summer camp. I am trying to get Don's sunset photo done for this month's Spotlight.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2015/1032892-Old_Savannah_Hotel.jpg

Blayne
06-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Your "little sketch" is awesome! You've captured the serene, quiet mood beautifully. I really like the warm colors of the building contrasted with the cool greens of the trees. There are some perspective issues (which I'm not qualified to address) but, as you said, this is a sketch rather than a finished painting. I hope you show us the finished piece!

D.Burns
06-22-2015, 07:02 PM
I like the movement from shade to light. My eyes are drawn to the overhanging foliage, with the brighter yellow signposting the position and angle of the sun.

blr2449
06-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Oooo, I like it! It has a very summery feel to it. :thumbsup:

Rockport123
06-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Nice!

Still-trying
06-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Ural, I like his very much. My first thought was.."how welcoming this hotel is." And then..I started to notice interesting undercurrents. And the hotel became mysterious. I'm certain I saw someone lurking by the window. (I'm only kidding. I love it!)

ural jones
06-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks Jay, I love the mystery aspect, thanks for the compliment.
Rockport, I appreciate it!
Barbara that feeling goes with our climate these days, thank you!
D. Burns you see exactly what I am striving to paint.

I knew the perspective needed attention but thanks Blayne for the heads up on that. I was working on getting complimentary colors and the light just right. I'll take more time with the final piece.
I think it needs a little more blue sky too. But the real problem is getting the time to work on it.
These summer solstice days are worse than the 'dog days'of August!