PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic over pencil drawing

serefosa
06-19-2015, 11:03 PM
I have a pencil drawing that I would like to redo in acrylics. It is already drawn on a white canvas. I know I can use fixative but will I still be able to see the pencil lines underneath for guidance when I paint. I had planned to back it with burnt sienna but think it's too late.
Ideally, I would like to start off with pencil drawing on it's white canvas,
then fixative,
then light wash of acrylic burnt sienna,
then acrylic picture over drawing.

What do you think

KareBear94
06-20-2015, 02:04 AM
All my paintings start with pencil drawing on canvas... Fixed with crystal clear... Then use transparent glazes of acrylic... so far its worked pretty well for me. :)

hunterpaul
06-20-2015, 06:01 AM
I never use a fixative.. I use a very light wash of yellow ochre.. it fixes the pencil, and is light enough to see through.. gets rid of that horrid white too..

Lady Carol
06-20-2015, 08:58 AM
I fix my pencil drawings with glazing medium. It is clear.

Davkin
06-20-2015, 03:33 PM
I do the same as Carol, except I use the glazing medium with paint and tone the surface at the same time, but I paint fast and loose, the initial drawing is just a loose guide for me, I'm not precious about it. If you've drawn it once you can draw it again....with a brush. :D

Idlewilde
06-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Saw this and had to comment.
I use Hairspray and it works very well. You can spray quite lightly and it dries very quickly. The acrylic goes over the top easily and holds well without picking up the graphite granules from the pencil. Even soft graphite dose not come through. Relatively cheap fix. The brand is Alberto VO5 extra hold.

Should work for you too,
Cheers, Ian Wildey.

serefosa
08-05-2015, 05:43 AM
Hi all,
Sorry about the delay in replying. In the end I decided I was being too precious and exacting with the drawing (Davkin) so started from scratch, using a bit of the original design. On a dark background I roughly outlined in yellow ochre (Hunterpaul) . Thankyou all for your suggestions. Handy to know these tips. I intend to try them all out. Thanks Serefosa:wave: