PDA

View Full Version : The Rose Garden

KarinaRose
06-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Here's a new 9x12 acrylic.

I packed up my gear and rode my bike to this beautiful neighborhood park in Portland for a lovely afternoon of painting.
Then back to the studio to finish it up.

The smell of the roses was heavenly in the afternoon sun. Such a romantic setting.

I find I enjoy doing these detailed scenes. It's a bit like doing a puzzle somehow. fitting the pieces together. It takes patience, but its very peaceful to me. I know this type of realism isn't really trendy, but them I never have been one to follow trends :)

All c&c most welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2015/62041-The_Rose_Garden_800.jpg

ColinS
06-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Wonderful painting, Karen.

Trendy or not, I think it is so great that artists capture scenes like this, because time changes everything but you have so beautifully preserved a slice of one place and time..

Artchrispy
06-20-2015, 06:47 AM
Great work Karen. I'm wondering if the photo isn't bringing out all the contrast present in the painting in real life. I always have to correct my photos for contrast. Beautiful work, especially for plein air. That's a lot of info to process on site . Well done!

bluefish
06-20-2015, 07:19 AM
Karen....just beautiful.....trendy?....millions of people, worldwide, visit museums every day to see gardens like yours....and floral paints always have and will continue to sell well....you do wonderful work :thumbsup:

'blue :wave:

maryinasia
06-20-2015, 07:32 AM
I like how the pair of trees echo the couple.

gaykir
06-20-2015, 09:10 AM
One of my favorite places! Good job"

KarinaRose
06-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Thank you Colin, I do love to capture that "slice of time"

Thank you Christopher. Yes, I do adjust the photo for contrast and color cast to try to match the original as closely as possible. It's never perfect. In this case, the mid ground trees on the left have more goldeny warmth in them, and the fountain isn't quite as blueish. But such is the nature of the computer! At least the monitor :) And yes, too much info to process in one outdoor setting. It was started on site, and then finished in the studio.

Thank you Blue. Encouraging words!

Thank you Mary, you saw that! Cool! Yes, I liked that too. Almost left out one of the trunks because it looked a little odd, then I saw the couple thing and decided to leave it :)

Thank you Gayle - it's a beautiful city we live in!

LavenderFrost
06-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a wonderful time, and the painting is beautiful. Love the water fountain.

mellybean
06-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Beautiful! Love the detail you got... And plein air? Impressive! And I wouldn't care about trends either, it's more about what makes you happy! I do hope to have the skill to paint realistically some day :)

stapeliad
06-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Oh beautiful! I missed our rose garden this year...... glad you got to go! :)

tomtex
06-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Nicely done. I am fascinated by your technique with the water spray. Very cool.

FoggyMountain
06-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Wow, that is fantastic!

KarinaRose
06-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Thank You Michelle!
Thank you Mellybean. It just takes practice!
Thank you Stapeliad! It's always a treat to be in a rose garden...
Thank you tomtex. One thing I noticed about the water fountain this time. A lot of the area is just slightly blue/greyed from the mist of the water, without a lot of definition - especially where the streams of water are coming down...
Thank you Lynn :)

Margaret 59
06-21-2015, 03:21 AM
I,m a big fan of yours anyway Karen and I always admire your trees, flowers and grasses so this painting is right up my street.
I don,t think you can go wrong with your high quality paintings.:thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
06-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Love this beauty Karen!
I think more people like this kind of work than the 'conceptual' and so-called modern art of the 'authorities'!

KarinaRose
06-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Thank you Margaret and Maureen! I really appreciate the encouragement :)