PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor paper and/or acrylic paper; opinions?

cliff.kachinske
06-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Pros and cons?

Love either one? Hate it? How come?

Has anyone used both? If so, what's your preference?

Charlie's Mum
06-19-2015, 11:09 AM
I'm not a lover of Acrylics paper tho' it's useful for quick try-outs or sketches (that's my opinion only!):)
I do also work on w/c paper - which I prefer to the 'canvas' paper.
I particularly use w/c paper for the acrylic inks - it can stand the soakings it often gets!:)

bluefish
06-19-2015, 11:33 AM
some of the nicest paper for acrylic work was 'fiberglass paper' but they took it off the market.....I still have one sheet that I'm saving for that 'special winner'...:clap:

300-400 lb WC paper is nice...hot pressed for detail work and rough for 'barn scenes, florals, etc.' :thumbsup:

LavenderFrost
06-19-2015, 11:52 AM
I like acrylic paper, though I'm not sure what it is that I like about it. lol I just enjoy painting on it. I never used to like texture but now I do since I am less interested in high realism and more into a painted look. And it's good sturdy stuff.

Davkin
06-19-2015, 12:32 PM
I prefer a firm, flat surface with little texture that doesn't move on me, so I only paint on panels and boards, I even dislike canvas, but paper is even worse since it buckles and won't stay flat. I do love texture....the texture of the palette knife and brushstrokes. I don't like the mechanically produced texture of canvas and paper.

KareBear94
06-19-2015, 02:38 PM
I've used both... My problems were probably more related to the fact that I haven't really had much experience with WC paper, and am fairly new to the acrylic medium as well, being a self taught 'artist' I have had to go by trial and error, and "Google" which led me to this site :clap: :clap:

WC paper I've used is only 140lb Cold press.. I had some problems with buckling and curling of the paper, then I learned about 'sizing' the paper... I mostly use for learning techniques atm. Also, I probably don't have the "best" quality WC paper out there....

Acrylic paper I have is Acrylic Canvas paper, it is nicer to use because it doesn't buckle or pill with lots of water like the problems I've had with the WC paper.

I hope this helps... but like I said, I am a relative "NEWBIE" to using acrylics and paint media in general..... So hopefully more experienced artists will comment as well and we can all learn something about this :clear:

Karen :cat: