PDA

View Full Version : a couple of watercolour tips...

Lynda Mortensen
06-23-2000, 02:13 PM
Just thought I'd post a couple of tips for us thrifty watercolourists! The first one is to store both palettes of squeezed out paint, and your tubes of paint, in the fridge. First add a few drops of clear water to the palette, cover it with cling-film or the palette lid, and they will stay moist and mould-free until the next time you use them. I am going on vacation for the next couple of weeks and am experimenting with putting my palette in the freezer to save my paints for that length of time, I'll let you know how I get on! If you keep your tubes in a tupperware container in the fridge, it will help stop the lids sticking with dried out paint.

The second tip: I always carry a tiny watercolour set around with me, which fits in a small 7" x 5" 'bumbag' (I think you call them something else over here in the US, but as that's quite a rude word in England I'm going to stick to what the Brits call it! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif ). Sketchpads suitable for pencil sketching are not suitable for any wet techniques, and proper small watercolour pads are expensive to buy - especially at the rate I get through them! So, in a flash of inspiration this morning, I decided to make my own. I have a 100-sheet pad of Fabriano 72lb paper (13" x 9 1/2") which is fairly useless for painting on at full size, as it's not heavy enough and cockles unless stretched - but for smaller sketches it would be ideal. I cut 5 sheets into quarters, and stacked them on top of a similar sized piece of strong card (6 1/2" x 4 3/4"). Then I glued along the top and both of the short sides with Aleene's tacky glue, wiping off the excess before it dried. I also glued just the centre portion of the bottom, leaving both bottom corners unstuck. Thus I had made a small watercolour block. I then added a thin card cover to protect the top sheet. I have worked out that I can make twenty 20-sheet blocks from my Fabriano pad for the silly price of about $1.50 per block - a really good saving on what you would pay for a ready made one. Incidentally, I got the Fabriano pad from Hobby Lobby for about $30 - but you could just as easily cut up imperial sheets of paper. When I have completed small sketches, I put it them in self-adhesive photo albums, which protects them, is easy to refer to and allows sketches to be organised into themed groups.

Best wishes! Lynda

scottb
06-23-2000, 02:27 PM
Lynda, thanks for your contribution to our community (and welcome!).

For the sake of consistency, I am moving this particular thread over to the watercolor forum, and closing it here in the WetCanvas! Site Discussion forum... http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Cheers.
Scott

Lynda Mortensen
06-23-2000, 02:39 PM
Thanks for sorting me out Scott - I wasn't quite sure where it should go! Maybe we should have a 'tips' forum?
All the best, Lynda