PDA

View Full Version : Is Suburban Urban?

Mike L
06-17-2015, 10:42 AM
There is so much beauty and so many things to draw and paint where I live - flowers, gardens, homes, and all the other stuff of small towns - and I'm going to give it a go over the next months, maybe even years.

Is Cityscapes/Urban Art the correct place to post them or would some other forum be more appropriate?

Thanks.

R/Mike

AnnieA
06-17-2015, 02:17 PM
There is so much beauty and so many things to draw and paint where I live - flowers, gardens, homes, and all the other stuff of small towns - and I'm going to give it a go over the next months, maybe even years.

Is Cityscapes/Urban Art the correct place to post them or would some other forum be more appropriate?

Thanks.

R/Mike
Hi, Mike! I think it would depend. The blurb at the top of the forum suggests that it's just about cities - larger ones, it seems - but personally I'd give it a wider definition, basically to include most of the built environment, except maybe very rural scenes. If it's a painting of just flowers or a garden, or an isolated farm house, etc. then it would probably not fit here. But paintings that show congregations of people or buildings would fit. At least that's my take...maybe others will see it differently. But we do seem to have other work here already that's of a more suburban nature.

You also might want to post your work in the Landscapes forum. There are a lot more people posting there than here, because our Cityscapes forum is a lot newer and many haven't yet discovered it. But we're slowly building up a nice group of artists.

:wave: So welcome to Cityscapes, and have fun painting! We'd love to see your work. :)

opainter
06-24-2015, 07:04 PM
First, I will attempt to answer the question as it was posed in the title of the post, viz., "Is suburban urban?" I would think that this depends on the nature of the area. Cities often have lots of sprawl that extends well beyond the borders of what is usually considered to be "urban." Oftentimes as these metropolitan areas grow in population, the notion of what constitutes its urban center remains the same even as what may have been bedroom communities grow to become more urban. This has happened with the suburban sprawl outside Chicago. Many of the cities that ring Chicago were once "obviously" suburban, and even had a rural flavor about them. But the whole Chicago area (which is known to locals as "Chicagoland"), including these "suburban" areas, has grown so much that many of the suburbs look very urban and suffer just as much from the types of problems that Chicago itself is sometimes, unfortunately, known for.

Second, I will attempt to answer your question in terms of what you are probably trying to get at. We don't have a "suburban" forum here at WetCanvas, so where is an artist to post their suburban artwork? (This is actually a different question, but I suspect that it is what you are really after.) Maybe a good way to look at this is to consider whether your art has more urban elements in it or whether it has more rural elements in it. Urban elements would include offices, factories, cars, and so forth. Rural elements would include barns (that's pretty obvious!), waist-high wheat, and ducks that waddle around streams. Don't get hung up over trying to answer this question, because much more important things - like showing off your art, even if you're not sure if the forum is best for it - should occupy your time!

Dcam
06-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Right smack in the middle of the country out here in North Jersey or Penn. You may see a big old factory, or refinery, perhaps a complex filling station that would fit right in.
:) Derek