PDA

View Full Version : en plein air effort today

thevaliantx
06-15-2015, 10:34 PM
"Connersville" 1210" Acrylic on Canvas ... well, today I got my first taste of trying to paint in rain. The first episode of rain was a hard drizzle. It ended as quickly as it started and I wasn't too upset about because it replaced my spray bottle :)

Just as I was toward the end of the painting it absolutely poured. I turned around to check the condition of the paint blobs, and when I looked at the canvas again I could have cried. Oh, I was upset. Now, mind you Connersville is thirty minutes away but it sure seems that no matter where I move all the rain occurs in the town I used to live in. Where was all this rain for my garden this year?

Anyway, the rain ran the trees at the top down into the barn, and the colors on the barn ran right down into the shed. My bad luck wasn't over, though. I packed up everything and went stomping back to the car, cursing the Gods for taking the ONE day I go out painting into this mess. I got into the car. My wife knew by the tone of my voice what had happened. She looked at my painting and say "oh no ...".

Our dog looked at the painting and hopped up into the passenger seat next to my wife, where it was safe. The next thing that happened was that I yelled that I hated acrylics and that if I could not resolve the drying issue with the paints (not going to bother with retarders) that the acrylics were never leaving the house again. I then threw one of my tubes of paint against the window ...

I know, I know, my temper got the best of me ... thinking the window was closed. But it wasn't. The tube went flying out into the parking lot. The church parking lot. Today was a lesson in tribulation.

Did I tell you how the day started? Think of a stay-wet palette with a super soaked sponge and sealed for days.

ColinS
06-15-2015, 11:43 PM
Yikes George - painting en plein air is supposed to be fun.

But I really like the greens and blues of the fields in your painting. The fields in your landscape have a pleasant watery feel that you mightn't have obtained under a blazing sun. The barn is very dominant in the composition, and because it is so dark it kind of absorbs some of the energy from the fields. The small white buildings are a good scale for the composition and I like the cows dotting the view. Overall I think you did well.

thevaliantx
06-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Colin, LOL!! I did have fun, it's just that few things come easy for me, yet I strive to take it all in anyway. If my boat is going to sink I hope it never happens in calm waters :)

bluefish
06-16-2015, 06:02 AM
George....it's one of your best.....very Monet style.....you're a natural 'Impressionist".....finally a 'style'.:clap: ....love the cows!:thumbsup:

thevaliantx
06-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Bluefish, thanks for the encouraging words :) You know, it's funny. I have been growing out my beard as a special homage to Monet. Like Claude I want my studio to be 'out there'. I can't tell you how many times I have watched "The Impressionists" while painting. I can't seem to get my picture to upload to use as my avatar. The beard in that picture isn't as big as the one I have now, though I do grow a slow, scrawny beard. Maybe I need to gain some weight and wear a white 3-piece suit while painting.

LavenderFrost
06-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Maybe I need to gain some weight and wear a white 3-piece suit while painting.

Yes, you should do that. lol

Well, at least you tried. I won't lol. I just snap photos to add to my collection for later and paint inside with no weather, or bugs, to bother me. This turned out pretty good though, I wouldn't guess that it got rained on.

Davkin
06-16-2015, 12:03 PM
I've been caught in a storm while painting before, my colors didn't run like that though. The only reason I packed it up is my pochade was so filled up with water that my paint blobs started floating.

If the drying time is such a problem for you then maybe you should try water soluble oils instead, at least for plein air.

thevaliantx
06-16-2015, 01:58 PM
David, I have regular oils that I use and will probably use more as I try to get myself out of the house. They dry very slowly.

I am just one of those folks who naturally adds fire to the fuel :)

That woul be hilarious to see the paint blobs floating.

brusher
06-16-2015, 06:41 PM
George, it looks very good, considering the adverse conditions you have described. Plein air is always fraught with problems, anyway it seems to me. If nothing else, the light is constantly changing. But I like the aerial view that you did, overlooking the buildings, land and cows. It looks idyllic, which I suspect is what you were going for?

It could have been worse - we hear so many stories of plein air painters freezing in the bitter cold, or surrounded by friendly flies or hungry mosquitoes. At least the rain kept the bugs away (I hope!)

What an entertaining tale! Hopefully your next adventure will be on a bright, sunny day! :)

Cathy

thevaliantx
06-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Speaking of flies, look closely at all of the cows :) As for my intentions, I can't take any credit for that. At this point in my journey I make an invisible telescope with my hands (works better than a viewfinder for me) and I scan the landscape until I find something that has what I feel provides a good balance shapes, tones and direction. After that I wing it. All my life I have been on the outside looking in, this piece probably explains me better than any other piece I've created.

brusher
06-16-2015, 10:08 PM
WOW! I see a real fly, masquerading as a cow!!
How'd you get him to sit still :) to be in the photo? A touch of real wildlife :) in your work!

Cathy

bluefish
06-17-2015, 07:05 AM
I thought that was a mosquitoe.....have to make the flies a little larger George...:lol: :lol: :lol: