PDA

View Full Version : Hubbie

Mamalynn
06-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Did this of my husband. Here is the obvious problem. The camera, as has been discussed here many times, distorted the size of his hand and I need to do another. With iPhones and iPads, I no longer take pics another way. How do I prevent the distortion? or can I? I took it from across the room and zoomed in. This is his typical position so I wanted to include the hand. C&C welcome.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2015/1761517-petepastel_edited-1.gif

Blayne
06-15-2015, 10:08 AM
I love the expression you captured and those vibrant skin tones! The hand doesn't bother me at all except perhaps the little finger looks a bit too large.

DAK723
06-15-2015, 03:12 PM
This is very nicely done!

Distortion can be minimized or eliminated by getting farther away from your subject - and it sounds like that is exactly what you did! So, there shouldn't be any, but since his hand is closer, it might look larger simply due to the perspective. The little finger does look a bit odd. Since we are looking at the hand and fingers from an angle, I would expect too see the angle of each bend in the finger. It looks more like we are seeing that finger straight on. I hope you know what I mean!

All in all, very nicely done!

Don

Mamalynn
06-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks Blayne. I think I can fix the little finger. Hopefully that will help.
Don, I do know what you mean. I think I can show the correct angle. I'll repost. Many thanks for looking.

Still-trying
06-16-2015, 04:47 PM
What a wonderful portrait.

kentiessen
06-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Really nice mood and pose! Hands are as challenging as portraits- the overall proportion is working, but as mentioned, the little finger is too large and it could angle inward a bit. Be sure to look at the wrist structure, too.

Mamalynn
06-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Thanks so much Jay:) Ken, yes you are right about hands. I really didn't give the hand much attention and will do so. I think you are right about the wrist and the palm seems a bit off too.

pastel65
06-18-2015, 07:02 PM
You did a great job. I was going to suggest you have him pose and that you measure size of hand in relation to face, etc. Pam : :wave:

Dillidee
06-19-2015, 12:33 AM
Really good. I love the skin tones.

Mamalynn
06-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Worked on the hand but a challenge still and his face to get a better likeness. I am posting the pic so any suggestions would be great.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2015/1761517-peterpastel3.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2015/1761517-peterreference.gif

Hazartist
06-20-2015, 06:19 PM
Love what you have done! And you captured his thoughtful expression.

pastel65
06-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Looks really good. In the second picture the area inside the ear looks too dark but it's fine in first picture, so I think your first picture shows truer colors. When I flip back and forth between painting and picture nothing stands out as being off. Hold up to mirror just as double check but I think painting is accurate. Pam :wave:

Mamalynn
06-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Thank you both. It's funny how there are certain things I don't see until I post. Not sure why. I agree about the ear and have corrected. Also, I see now that his forehead is too short and one of the eyes needed adjusting. Keep any corrections coming though

neddelta
06-22-2015, 09:30 PM
What a beautiful portrait -- I love how you warmed the light and simplified the background! Just a couple of suggestions: You might want to tone down the right side of the shirt (his right, our left); I thought he was holding something, maybe a white mug. . . . Also, the photo shows that the back of the hand and the arm past the ulnar bone are on the same plane -- it's the wristbone that sticks up. (Ken, is that what you were referring to?) As painted, the hand looks a tad swaybacked.

Best, Evelyn

Mamalynn
06-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Thanks so much Nedetta. I did notice the problem with the wrist. I think the plane of the wrist is OK but I have the cuff at an odd angle, thanks. You know, someone else asked if he were holding a napkin :) so I need the bright part of his shirt to recede. These are really good helps. Much appreciated.

Rockport123
06-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Hi Mamalynn! Just my humble suggestion but I would introduce a few cool colors into your hand. I feel the extreme warm tones in the hand is taking away from the face, and could be the reason it looks large. Again just my opinion, it really is lovely!

Mamalynn
06-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks Rockport--I will give that a try. Good suggestion. Hopefully I'll tackle these repairs this week and repost.

ural jones
06-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Very well done. it is a difficult task but you are pretty good at it.
I like everything about this and the only thing I would add is that most folks (me included) often do not fatten the eyelids enough. If you look closer to the lids, you will have finished, I think.
But evenso ~ good work !