PDA

View Full Version : Almost Real: Paper Flowers Still Life

Violetta
06-14-2015, 01:35 PM
I haven't posted a completed painting in quite a while but I just finished this one and decided to share it. It's a bit experimental (faux frame done with light molding paste), based on a reference by KreativeK and done on 16 x 20 gallery wrapped canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2015/102127-Paper_Flowers_Still_Life_IMG_2104resized.jpg

I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks for looking.

Bob in Florida
06-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Hi Judy,

I think it's a nice painting. I like the impasto effect on the flowers and they have good color. I like to frame my paintings also but have never thought of using molding paste. Looks good.

My critique would be that I think the flower pot needs to be grounded better and perhaps some shadow on the wall in conjunction with the shadow on the ground.

I've been away also and need to post some work I've done.

annaspasky
06-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Nice, and nice technique. I'm going to give it a try.

mellybean
06-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Wow never thought of using molding paste as a frame! I don't think I'd be brave enough to use it in that manner, though. Great job on the flowers and pot!

Violetta
06-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Thank you Bob, Anna and Melly for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate it.

Bob, I will take another look at possible shadows or reflections on the wall and better grounding on the bottom of the vase. Thanks for the suggestions and your kind comments.

Thank you Anna and Melly for your kind comments. I can't claim the faux frame as an original idea. I saw a similar painting online with no explanation on how it was achieved and decided to try light molding paste. There may be other pastes or gels that would work but I like working with the light molding paste.

This was a fun painting to do. I'm so glad you like it!

LavenderFrost
06-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Very pretty.

chammi kaiser
06-15-2015, 01:04 PM
I like it a lot. Cheerful, colourful and the frame works well. Good advice from Bob re grounding the vase.

joao_hvp
06-17-2015, 02:14 PM
bright color, I like

Violetta
06-17-2015, 04:59 PM
I have now better grounded the vase with a shadow at its base and painted a swatch of color on the right wall as a shadow. Thank you Bob for your good advice. Your suggestions made it a stronger painting.

Thank you, also, to Michelle, Chammi and Joao for your kind comments. I now have the painting hanging where I can see it frequently and so far I'm liking it.