PDA

View Full Version : Paint + media: how do you mix 'em?

cliff.kachinske
06-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Back when I took art lessons, we made our own brushes by gnawing on the ends of sticks.

I was taught to put the, for example, Damar varnish into a palette cup, dip the very tip of the brush into it, then load the brush with oil paint. I was assured that the proportions would come out fine and in fact they did.

So now I'm going to use blending medium to get soft edges between adjacent colors.

Faced with this task would you use the dip and load technique I described or would you pre-mix the medium and colors? Or would you do something else entirely?

Thanks.

Davkin
06-10-2015, 03:15 PM
I mix on the palette.

Mike L
06-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Back when I took art lessons, we made our own brushes by gnawing on the ends of sticks.

And I thought I was old! I do remember, however, the introduction of acrylic paints. Well, not really - I was only 5 at the time. :lol:

I mix on my pallet. I can't get my paint to stay wet enough long enough to mix on canvas. Although I suppose using a stiff brush to lightly move paint to produce a smoother transition could be considered mixing, so I guess I mix on both.

R/Mike

Lady Carol
06-12-2015, 08:23 AM
I mix on the palette like David. Also i have mixed on the canvas, whatever works to get the deipsired effect.

Steve Orin
06-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Chewed sticks... But it works when you want the effects such give! Such as painting a field of mixed colors & varying plants. Good funny though.
I also recall being shunned by folks who disdained my use of the new acrylics. I was around 15.
There is no one way to use paints. Better to envision the look you want & imagine what it'll take to get the paints to give it to you. You might lay down an area of clear so you can work into it from both sides. You might add a bit of retarder to slow the drying. Everything the guys said above & more.