PDA

View Full Version : Books N Books WIP

Rockport123
06-09-2015, 03:09 PM
I haven't posted here in a while, been very busy painting and teaching. This is a WIP of a portrait of my Aunt. I don't usually like to work from photos, but unfortunately my dear Auntie has no patience to sit! HA! So one day I just happened to have my camera when I entered the room and caught her in between speaking. It's the type of portrait I love doing, that "in between" time, or pause. It leaves the viewer questioning, what will she say? I also love the composition of the arms and hands, as well as the blue shirt, as well as the way the figure goes off the edge! A few stages into it I realized that the background needed something more than color, it needed a more interesting design, without of course overtaking the subject. I decided to include a shelf of books forming geometric designs on the shelf behind her. I'm calling it "Books N Books" because all her life she has been a self-employed independent free thinker, always learning!!!

Hope you like it so far, it's 16"x20" on 400 Uart paper. The first pic is the actual ref photo.

C&C's always welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
Marlene

water girl
06-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Wnderful! Your composition is working and her expression is priceless. It doesn't look like you have much more to do.

Still-trying
06-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Very special feel to this. Nice.

mercbill
06-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Great!

neddelta
06-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Wow -- what a fantastic portrait! You've captured the billowiness of her hair, and I love the richness of colors and interesting mark-making.

Best, Evelyn

pastel65
06-14-2015, 12:39 PM
This is great! Love the colors. I'm actually take a break from a dog painting where I am painting the fur in purple, blue, green and orange. So much fun and I've received a lot of compliments from previous ones done in bold colors. Wish I had your skill in portraits but I'm still working on mastering the basics of pastels so need a lot more experience. Pam :wave:

Rockport123
06-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Thank you all so much!!!
Pam- I don't think we ever "Master" our art, I know I'm never satisfied and am always working hard to improve my skill. Keep at it, sounds like you're on a roll!

Rockport123
06-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Here are a few more updates on this portrait. They are a little dark and yellower, due to the bleak weather here and having to rely on indoor lights. I'm continuing with the build up of layers and starting to introduce detail. Hope you like it so far!

C&C's always welcomed!
Thank you all for looking!
Marlene

ArtistMelinda
06-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Oh WOW - really interesting! I am going to save as a favorite - I hope she loved it!!

Rockport123
06-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Thank you Melinda, it's not finished yet, I should have an update soon. Hopefully she will like it!!

kentiessen
06-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Love the loose quality of the surrounding elements (her blouse, hands, and background) in the early stages- a great touch with color and pastel overall!

Mamalynn
06-17-2015, 11:26 PM
Oh this is marvelous! Very Degas like in some of the color combinations and strokes. Love that scribble stroke you have. I want to be you one day!

Donna T
06-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Loose and so full of life! Really great piece!

Dillidee
06-19-2015, 12:35 AM
I love this style. Great facial expression too.

Rockport123
06-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Thank you all so very much for your kind comments! I will have an update soon.