PDA

View Full Version : Nearly outdoor painting-storage

Rhonlynn
06-08-2015, 10:28 AM
I paint on a screened in, or totally windowed porch. It gets hot, unless I have the windows off the screens. I use both Liquitex, Golden and also Patio paint on stones. I also have my easel out on the porch. Should I be keeping my paint on the porch, or should I bring in my paint inside during the night, only bringing it out on the porch when I paint?

When does it get too hot for acrylics? I use it, and paint about 4-5 layers per color but I'm not intent on replacing it due to heat damage.

Aligator
06-08-2015, 11:53 AM
I am not experienced enough to advise you but I understand your situation. I have my art setup in my garage, most of the time it works out great BUT today it will get to 102 degrees. I leave everything out there and it does not seem to cause a problem other then when I try to mist with water. I am at a point that the only time I can paint is between 6-8 AM. I think I will make less of a mess inside if I try some pen and wash during these hot days.

Mike L
06-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Checking the MSDS for your paints might give information that would help you decide.

One factor is hot - what is the temperature range day and night? If the temperature doesn't affect the paint while you are painting, then storage overnight in the same environment shouldn't be too big an issue. If unsure, though, taking them inside might be a first choice rather than gamble on losing your paints to Mother Nature.

Unless you have hundreds of tubes and brushes and such, putting your supplies in something easy to carry shouldn't be to big a chore. I moves stuff around, and sometimes even store, paint and other items in small plastic buckets. :thumbsup:

Wait a bit and I'm sure some more experienced and knowledgeable artists will respond.

R/Mike

Rhonlynn
06-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Nothing like answering my own question, right?

I went to Ikea and bought 2 plastic tote baskets that are large enough to hold my patio paint bottles, and the other for my Liquitex/Golden bottles and tubes. It's 96-104 today. At my lunch I easily bought them in. It does the brushes good to get air, I left them out. I'll start doing it daily. Once the windows are off the porch windows, it'll be a tiny bit cooler. But I'll check on my paint at my lunch. I work from home. I went on the porch to get my paint and the porch smelled of acrylics. So it was time to bring it in.

Wassie
06-09-2015, 12:12 PM
I would bring the paint inside.

Rhonlynn
06-09-2015, 03:13 PM
The paint is inside. Good thing, too. it's 104 outside and I won't be painting stones on the porch.