PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on water - anybody else notice this

cliff.kachinske
06-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Looking hard at my reference photos, it seems like the darker reflections run horizontally while the lighter bits are vertical. This is on relatively calm water.

Has anybody else noticed this?

ColinS
06-06-2015, 01:07 AM
I have definitely seen when there are light coloured things being reflected in vertical patterns.

But even the light colours can go in chopped 'horizontal' tiles when the sea is rippled.

And darker colours can be vertical in blocks under some conditions like this building reflected in the Seine:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2015/1183569-ParisDSCN0040.jpg

Mike L
06-06-2015, 08:01 AM
You can tell I'm the newb. I've looked and looked at that photo ColinS uploaded, and I just don't see "horizontal" or "vertical" in any of the reflections on the water. :o

What am I missing? Is there another way of looking at it?

R/Mike

cliff.kachinske
06-06-2015, 10:08 AM
You can tell I'm the newb. I've looked and looked at that photo ColinS uploaded, and I just don't see "horizontal" or "vertical" in any of the reflections on the water. :o

What am I missing? Is there another way of looking at it?

R/Mike

What direction brush strokes do you think would work best?

cliff.kachinske
06-06-2015, 10:13 AM
I have definitely seen when there are light coloured things being reflected in vertical patterns.

But even the light colours can go in chopped 'horizontal' tiles when the sea is rippled.

And darker colours can be vertical in blocks under some conditions like this building reflected in the Seine:

Maybe it's just the way the water was behaving on that particular day, then.

Davkin
06-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Every body of water looks and acts different and even from minute to minute, there are no hard and fast rules. This is why study from life is so important.