PDA

View Full Version : In great need of much help!

Andre Yusin
06-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Hey, y'all! Need a little help here.

Long story short I came up with this design that I thought was the best thing since sliced bread for certain purposes. Or maybe it still is. The question is how do I bring it to life though?

Finally tried to paint it yesterday and it surely looked quite still-born to my eye. Keep in mind that I've never painted anything in my life before though and this is pretty much my first attempt. Now, I do understand some of the complexities involved and do see where many of the problems are coming from. Like this is just the first layer; I'm painting on black; background turns out not to be there altogether; the paints - although an artist grade - are just hues and hence substitutes to what the true paints and colors should be, etc. Still nowhere near the end result and process too that I envisioned. A disaster, to put it mildly. Totally lost and not a hint of satisfaction while doing this. Couldn't feel a brush stroke if you know what I mean.

Looking for any good practical advice in order for this thing to pop up: a specific painting technique or tow, the paint, brush, finish recommendations, etc. Used a size 6 Flat Princeton brush btw. And his is a small painting - on a 5" x 5" gallery wrap canvas, but be doing it on even smaller - 4" x 4" format for now to see if I even need to go bigger. This is a craft project so great many variation suggestions are welcomed as long as they can possibly lead to an awesome wow result. The color, size, and some shape variations are already there since conception anyway. Thanks a lot! :)

Dcam
06-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Hi: because acrylics are pretty transparent, it it hard to cover that dark background. Perhaps you should have started on white especially to make the yellow pop.
Also as in the old days of "hard edge" painting, you need to apply painter's tape and burnish the edges of the tape to get that crisp look. You pull off the tape after the paint dries.
Good luck.
Derek

Davkin
06-04-2015, 01:16 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly what I think you need to do is add more layers to get the paint opaque or just start on a white canvas. Acrylics are inherently translucent, even when listed as being opaque so it takes several layers to cover something that's dark.

ha ha, cross posted with Derek, great minds think alike. :D

Dcam
06-04-2015, 01:24 PM
:) hey Dave.

Andre Yusin
06-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Great! Thanks guys! Painter's or mask tape has been advised before but I don't know how practical this can be considering that the canvas is tiny and that I need to produce a lot of these in order to stay afloat. But I will try to achieve that hard edge through a stencil if I can. Also, I get the transparency thing but in, practical terms, what do I do for a nice colored background and better brush strokes? I'm looking for a good flow here. I abandoned this particular painting because I realized that no matter how many layers I applied it still wouldn't look quite good. And I do need something looking very good.

Davkin
06-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Maybe you need to be more clear about the results you are looking for. Do you want it look just like that computer generated graphic? Meaning very straight and clean edges, totally smooth and totally clean color? If that's what you want you need to do three things, 1. Start on a white surface. 2. start on a smooth surface, not canvas but rather a gessoed and sanded board or maybe illustration board. 3.Use tape like Derek mentioned.

Andre Yusin
06-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks again. As for the results that I expect I am open to any suggestions as long as they bring something that's workable, looks like art, are not very cost-prohibitive, and can be achieved even by a painting novice as I am. For now at least. If over my head I can always try them later. A different surface suggestion is interesting, I will consider those if they come in the right sizes. Since the art is so simple I am looking for the smallest of these as I think that's where I can get the best results. But again, as the size is rather small I don't think that the masking tape approach is very practical. Or maybe I simply already anticipate that I won't have enough patience for it. But as said before I could try a stencil method instead. In fact I already did, just looking for the best way to apply it.

Jon Bradley
06-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Cool piece. Yeah measuring out lines and taping like Dcam suggested is the way to go.

If your coverage isn't so hot, maybe try a little more dry consistency of paint, or paint with more body/medium in it.

~JMW~
06-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Looks like the paint is being thinned too much, try it thicker and you might get the bolder brush strokes that you mentioned..
Thick paint , heavy loaded on brush ,light touch, lay down the color and leave it alone..

Have you tried a chisel edge brush? I don't have this brand but the edge & bristles are similar.
http://www.yarnellschool.com/shop/products/161-dynasty-brush-set-chisel-edge.aspx

jennifervs
06-04-2015, 11:19 PM
I was going to suggest using a fluid acrylic or one that had more flow to it - if you want to have a painting without a lot of texture. Also you may want to consider the acrylic inks. Some have decent coverage and opacity.

Definitely a white surface for this painting! And alas, tape or frisket like airbrushers use.

Andre Yusin
06-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Great, thanks! Love the suggestions, keep them coming please! Looking for all the variety that I can get. I'll posting with pics to inform you on the progress.

Andre Yusin
06-07-2015, 11:14 AM
My latest expose. The paint felt much better and it's a different paint as you very well can see. Pretty much the same technique if I may call it so as I'm trying to develop the one I could stick with I think. Still not anywhere being happy with the result, I think I should have thinned the paint with water and it would come out a lot better. And oh yeah, forgot the halo.