PDA

View Full Version : Color Charts

Mike L
06-04-2015, 09:48 AM
I noticed in the Where You Work thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380714) that there is something missing from all (including mine) the work spaces so far shown - color charts. Oh, I don't mean the ones from books and/or manufacturers, but the ones we create for ourselves from the paints we use.]

I've also noted over in the Oils world that many experienced and able artists poo-poo the idea considering it a crutch used in place of a good eye or faux scientific methods of mixing. Just as many consider them to be one of the most useful tools in there box. I am not trying to start an argument, but in light of the lack of those tools in 100% of the photos of acrylics studios, I got to wondering if there is some other way of visualizing the colors needed for realistic painting. Or any other kind of painting.

I realize that one's palette is a personal preference, but am I the only one who thinks those custom charts are a wonderful tool? Or is it really an unnecessary use of time for acrylics painters? :confused:

I'm starting mine today and laying off any works in progress because I am so tired of mixing the perfect color/hue only to have it shift after drying. I'll make a photo of it and post it in this thread when it's done - maybe tomorrow or Sunday. :thumbsup:

R/Mike

idylbrush
06-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I keep a large key ring with chips that are color samples, techniques and any painting related reference material I see necessary.

LavenderFrost
06-04-2015, 12:03 PM
That's funny Mike, I was thinking that there were too many empty walls in some of those photos. I do have colour charts on the wall by my craft table, some colour combination of the paints I have. It's good to have.

cliff.kachinske
06-04-2015, 12:42 PM
There's no such thing as too many color charts. Even for a simple palette like mine the combinations are infinite.

I think the mixes should be made in very small increments. For example, I made a phthalo blue + ti white chain that yielded 15 distinct tints between pure blue and a cold white. Granted, from a distance some of those tonal values run together, but the hope is that people will approach the painting for a closer look.

Davkin
06-04-2015, 01:13 PM
I made some color charts based on Richard Schmid's palette but in acrylic or as close as I could get to it but then never hardly ever used them. Since then I've changed my palette so they wouldn't be very useful now anyway. I think it's more important to pick a set of colors and don't change them so that you get so used to them you just know how they mix.

GeorgieB
06-05-2015, 10:49 AM
I confess...I am also a closet color chartist. I have many charts, acrylics, water colors, water mixable oils on all kinds of surfaces. They are all now in storage while our new home is being assembled (mobile home) but my plans are to take my favorites, mount them on medium-gray poster board and hang them on a wall in what will become my new studio.

I especially like the series of limited palette charts that I did after watching and studying the works of Liam Rainsford (liamrainsford.com). Those will be the first ones mounted, and if this thread or the other about workspaces are still active, I'll post a photo or two there.

Good. Out of the closet at last.

Jonathan S
06-05-2015, 12:07 PM
That's actually a great idea and I really should do that...

Mike L
06-05-2015, 12:23 PM
As threatened, here is my first acrylic color chart. Rather than boring anyone with an entire page of how and why and where and what, I'll just show the chart next to the reference photo.

R/Mike

PS. Won't be using any of the greens.

Charlie's Mum
06-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I make colour charts whenever I buy new materials, whatever the medium, so they're all available, just not on show!:) I dont, by and large, need to refer to them once I know how a colour will react with others. .... I do like making them though!

Mike L
06-05-2015, 03:09 PM
I make colour charts whenever I buy new materials, whatever the medium, so they're all available, just not on show!:) I dont, by and large, need to refer to them once I know how a colour will react with others. .... I do like making them though!

I wasn't criticizing the lack of charts in posted photos. Over on the Oils side I see the same thing. I was mostly curious why they don't seem to make it online.

I think creating color charts is a smart thing to do whether for a series of colors or for the palette for a specific painting. It is time consuming, but even my little one taught me a lot about the colors I plan to use and myself. Not bad for an ol' fart, eh? :thumbsup: (which they had a 'stinky' smilie :lol: )

Perhaps, after 40 or so years experience I'll discover the magic formula and I won't need need them. :crossfingers:

OK, time to drag my pencils outside. I might even use them for something other than doggerel this time.

R/Mike

cinderblockstudios
06-05-2015, 03:22 PM
I did a color mixing chart with (most of) my paints late last year. I actually found several mixes that I wouldn't have tried before. I think everyone should make one!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2015/1393892-acrylic_color_map.jpg

KarinaRose
06-05-2015, 11:02 PM
I think color charts are a really key thing to do! I have a full sheet of watercolor paper one in my studio! Plus a bunch of small ones.
I tend to get stuck using the same mixes, and it really breaks me out of the habit to do them. Just finished a greens chart and reminded myself once again that I can mix pretty much every tube green with the colors I keep on my palette!

ColinS
06-06-2015, 12:57 AM
The shot of my workspace at Post #10 in the other thread actually shows a colour chart I did in a workshop last fall. Quite helpful for mixing greens from a variety of yellows and a cool & warm shade of blue.

Mike L
06-06-2015, 07:29 AM
I did a color mixing chart with (most of) my paints late last year. I actually found several mixes that I wouldn't have tried before. I think everyone should make one!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2015/1393892-acrylic_color_map.jpg

Great chart! What kind and brand of paints?

R/Mike

Mike L
06-06-2015, 07:32 AM
The shot of my workspace at Post #10 in the other thread actually shows a colour chart I did in a workshop last fall. Quite helpful for mixing greens from a variety of yellows and a cool & warm shade of blue.

I stand corrected. Now that I've looked again, I remember thinking the chart was a printed publication.

I'll blame it on my eyes. :lol:

R/Mike

chammi kaiser
06-07-2015, 07:08 AM
I make colour charts when I am in a rut and don't feel like doing a painting. I find making them really therapeutic and sometimes a really exciting mix inspires me to paint something where I can use the mix. I do tend to stick to a certain palette but am always open to change.