PDA

View Full Version : Buttercup

bobbymac
06-03-2015, 07:01 AM
I created this pastel painting from a photo in the reference library uploaded by Eohippus. This is on 10x14 La Carte Pastel Card. I used Rembrandt sticks and a few CarbOthello pencils. C&C welcomed. Thank you for looking.
Bob
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2015/1154176-buttercup_800x600.jpg

Norma46
06-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Lovely. I love the way the buttercups (not the horse if so named, but the flowers) fade out in the distance. Great example of atmospheric perspective.

jritner
06-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Nice work!

...aaaand now I can't get 'Build Me Up, Buttercup' out of my head, so thanks for that.

:)

bobbymac
06-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Thank you Norma. I wanted the title to be ambiguous. The flowers are indeed buttercups and was the title of the ref photo but thought viewers might want to apply it to the horse as well.
Thank you Joel and now that you mention it, I can't get the song out of my head either. :)

Blayne
06-04-2015, 06:59 AM
Very nice! I'm not lingering on this page, though, because I don't want to get infected by that song! :)

Still-trying
06-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Awwww, I love this. What a sweet gesture of the horse the flowers are lovely. Nice work.

Jay

bobbymac
06-05-2015, 04:49 AM
Thank you Blayne and Jay. I hope that the bidders like it too and that it brings a good price for the charity.

robertsloan2
06-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks, Joel, now I can't get that earworm out of my head either. lol

WOW! Wonderful atmospheric painting. The aerial perspective on the field is perfect, misty and evocative. The horse is right in my face so near I could touch him, caught in a gentle lazy moment grazing. Beautiful and fascinating.

Check the width of the neck. I'm not sure if it's an effect of the angle of the neck or whether it's a bit too narrow, horses' necks are a broad triangle shape much wider than the head. But narrow in cross section, which is why I'm really not sure on that anatomical point. Other than that, finite perfection. Seriously. Frame this and sell or hang it!

bobbymac
06-08-2015, 05:36 AM
Robert, thank you for your nice comments and your crit. I felt the same about the neck too. I checked the painting against the ref photo and I believe that it is accurate. I think what is confusing us is that the upper portion of the neck goes off the painting not allowing us to see the large triangle as you say.
I framed and matted the painting a few days ago and I am dropping it off today for the charity auction this weekend. The charity is for a good cause so I hope the painting does well.
Bob