PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at a demo by Liz Haywood-Sullivan called "Bridger Gap"

Jay-bird77
06-02-2015, 08:41 PM
I wanted to try this demo again on a sanded surface.
I used Golden's fine pumice gel on Tiziano 75lb.(160gsm Fabriano paper surprisingly though the paper warped very little I put a few books on top for a few days after it dried of course.
Then I used Mungyo pastels dimension for my foundation then finished with Rembrandt and Selinelier and Mount Vision pastels. 9 1/2"x13"
I used an alcohol wash for the underpainting.
I think it's better than my last attempt.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2015/1190917-IMG_20150602_203027.jpg
This was my first one...actually I can't post from my Google drive on this phone....sorry but take my word for it it's better!

water girl
06-02-2015, 10:39 PM
This is quite an ambitious demo to take on... mountains, trees, buildings in shadow and snow. I really like the light and shadows in the snowy area near the curving road.

Norma46
06-03-2015, 09:05 AM
I recognize the scene ( I think). I grew up in Bozeman MT and Bridger gap is the road to a very fine ski resort. Nice job. It is, as a I remember it, under snow cover about 8 months of the year.

jritner
06-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Nice! Excellent job on the light/shadows on that middle range in particular, Jay!
Well done!

pastel65
06-03-2015, 04:14 PM
I like this a lot. Great colors. Pam

jackiesimmonds
06-08-2015, 06:41 AM
there is a little more sense of depth in the original because of the careful painting of details in the snow in the middle ground.

although this is a dramatic image, I personally would question the similarities in the darkness between foreground and the tree line some distance away. I think Liz has gotten away with it.....because of her experience and understanding of what is needed to make it work, which is in fact quite subtle.......but from a learning point of view, I dont think it is very helpful. It is better to begin learning landscape by using a gradual recession of tone values to help imply "aerial perspective".