PDA

View Full Version : rainbow lorikeet and blossum 16x20

outsidemywindow
06-01-2015, 09:15 PM
learning learning, first background, WIP http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2015/141142-lorikeet_resized.jpg

robertsloan2
06-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Oooh you've seen these little beauties in the wild! i love rainbow lorikeets. Great pose! Very natural and not the usual pose at all, very striking and real! Love the feather textures, especially those sharp vaned tail feathers are so real and true. Back and beak and chest wonderful. Bright eye looking up at me. I remember the bottlebrush flowers too! Recently I got to see one in life that someone planted as an ornamental here in San Francisco.

That simple background beyond the plant is perfect. It could be mist or a rock wall or sky or anything. You might develop the flower right under his beak a little more, but don't overwork it. Other than that, stop! Stand back from the painting! Maybe start another one! That loose background is perfect and so is that well rendered, lovely bird! He's come alive!

water girl
06-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Beautiful! Would you mind sharing the size, paper and the pastels you used on this? Yes, don't overwork the flowers. Keep the background flowers soft, with little detail.

outsidemywindow
06-02-2015, 01:34 AM
thankyou so much, yes I think the foreground bottle brush and a couple of leaves I will hit with a bit more detail, I am totally loving pastels, they seem to just gel for me, I suppose it is a little similar to oils in so much as darks in and blending,, well for me anyway. I would like to get crisper lines but that will come with practise. We are always our worse critic lol, oh the paper is mi tints Tex, the pastels are mainly Toison Dor and pastel pencils poly chromos and size is 16 x20 inch

Blayne
06-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Rich and colorful--it's gorgeous!

jritner
06-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Nice work!

Still-trying
06-04-2015, 07:02 AM
Lovely. I love the pose