PDA

View Full Version : Rasta Elder - Xposted from WDE

oldrockchick
06-01-2015, 02:33 PM
I have been building up my pastel pencil collection over the last few months and now have a lovely range. These are really growing on me. I'm also experimenting with using them on different surfaces.

I do have the normal pastels but I get in such a mess with them and I work in my armchair with a drawing board on my lap.

this is from a ref by lisik in the RIL and was one of the options for the WDE over on AMAE for 29 May,

I decided to do him with pastel pencils which I recently acquired and have been having good results and they are lovely to work with.

'Rasta Elder'
14" x 11"
Canson Mi-Tientes
Pastel pencil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2015/179312-WDE_29_May_15_lisik_ref_-_Rasta_Elder_pastel_pencil_on_Mi-Tientes_14_x_11_1000px.jpg

water girl
06-01-2015, 07:56 PM
You seem to be doing just fine with pastel pencils. This is colorful and very interesting.

robertsloan2
06-01-2015, 09:44 PM
He's great! Love the skin tone, sky reflections on his forehead and cheeks, excellent features. Strong character and great rendering. Even his beard texture's perfect. Your pencils sing, Lin! Well done!

oldrockchick
06-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Thanks all

I love the immediacy of pastels and I can work quickly with them, but the dust is a problem for me. With them in pencil format it makes them more usable for me. I sometimes augment larger areas with a couple of 'ordinary' stick pastels.

I'm loving the Caran D'Ache pastel pencils. So soft and they have a great colour selection for portraits including various %age of Dark and Light flesh tones. they also do a very useful Violet grey which is good for light skin cool areas.

Still-trying
06-04-2015, 07:05 AM
Great portrait. I'm amazed hat you did it in pastel pencil.
Thanks for sharing the brand. Always good to know of something that allows us to work in another way and less dusty too.

Jay