PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dry Cafe June 2015

idylbrush
05-31-2015, 11:27 PM
Half way through the year.

Time to wipe the slate clean and give it a go.

My favorite quote so far this year is: "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"

CinderellaG
06-01-2015, 07:10 AM
I really like ypour quote, its kinda like the coffee cup I.m drin king from at the moment..it says " let me drop everything, and work on ypour problem" I think I like ypour quote better though!
For me...I am happy to bring in a new time and the sun that I hope is coming with it!

idylbrush
06-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Did some weeding and fertilizing in the veggie garden this morning. Then watered.

Busy day ahead. Still trying to clean my room, have put off the studio for a bit and the pantry needs some serious attention.

Cancer group today. It never seems to end.

Charlie's Mum
06-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Busy day here too - and it was mostly shopping - a bit like a marathon today!:(

Still strong, blustery winds, showers and bits of sunshine! Not a good start to Flaming June!:lol:

In answer to some posts from yesterday in the May thread -

Colin - Yes, tough as old boots too .......... and I should have said the 'bulls' lugs' go with 'thick as...' as well ........ but not IQ thick .......... that's 'thick as a plank' :lol:

Awww Blue - getting at Meggs again!:lol: ....... if she finds out, she'll be after you!

Better unstick this thread as the June one is up!:)

noodle1
06-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Hi Howard, think I will have to adopt that saying. Haha says it all.

Hi Maureen hard to be energized in kind of yukky weather for me,but shopping does help. Did you get something good?

Hi Cindy looking forward to getting to know you, I've missed a lot in a year away. Hope you have a good day!

Have the nurse coming so sitting around for that. If there's time left I want Larry to take me to the library. Not driving not sure whether to give up my license or not. Tend to like to be a bit independent haha he hates to shop and I'm a shopper lol.

Have a great day everyone see ya all later.

Hugs

Cathryn&Shep
06-01-2015, 02:25 PM
:wave: Howdie All! I'm Baaaaaack!!!! :wave:

...and I'm still plagued by injury! <sigh> I left WC after I twisted my ankle and ended up with a high ankle sprain, started PT for this and stopped after 3 sessions. I wasn't getting better as I was in worse pain the following day. Soft tissue injuries take a longer time to heal than broken bones. Bummer...

Then I had stress fractures in my heel ....

Now I have bursitis in my left hip from walking differently when the high ankle sprain finally allowed me to walk. I was in a wheelchair for 3 weeks.

And get this... I got the high ankle sprain just by walking! I was returning to my car on a trail in a nearby park and a fallen log was in the way. I know that in order to possibly avoid snakes that hide under logs and their bites, I step ON the log, not over it. Left foot goes up on the log, bring right foot over log to place on the ground, and I never FELT my foot touch ground....Cathy falls flat on her face! The first sound I made was, "Ummmph!" cuz I had the wind knocked out of me and the first thing I calmly said was, "Oh darn."

Unfortunately, I'm use to falling a lot. It never is pleasant, just something I got use to. And both hands were carrying stuff, so there was no way to catch myself this time.

I've had both knees operated on and both feet operated on, so osteoarthritis in both knees doesn't help things either.

The last thing the orthopedic surgeon said when I had my final check-up for the ankle sprain was to "limit my high risk activities and wear a lace-up ankle brace." I looked to my husband and said, "Walking is now a high risk activity" for me.

Anyway, it's good to be back and I won't be here daily, yet I'll peek in off and on. And 'no,' Shep's painting never got finished. Constant pain and injuries don't make for a very happy Cathy.

But now it's sunny and being outside doing yard work: transplanting the 'survivors' of winter to the front yard dry stack stone walls, moving large 'found stones' in our yard to make a 'stone circle' and encouraging different mosses to grow where I see them flourish...Makes ME Happy!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope everyone has been doing well and I'll try to take a look at some of your past paintings. I've missed you guys!

Cathy

PattiLou
06-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Wow Kathy, do you need bubblewrap?:lol: :lol: :lol: I think I would have said a little more than Ummmph! :D Glad you are feeling better and able to get out.

We had a thunderstorm a little while ago. Big puddles in the front yard and hail. Could have done without the hail. :eek:

Elaine, Jon does not like to shop either and lately I don't like to. But when I do need to go shopping he likes to drive, so he takes me where ever I want to go and sits in the car reading. :thumbsup: He feels protective that way. :wink2:

noodle1
06-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Cathy I'm Elaine, nice to meet you. I'm back after a year away . So sorry to hear about your ankle then the fall, I can certainly relate. Big hugs I hope things even out for you. I'm in a wheelchair, been a year can't wait to be done with it. Better days coming for us both :thumbsup: :heart:

Hi Pattie, hail and thunder what a combo. When I was living in Bee Cave Austin, the same kind of storm came
through, hail the size of golf balls. Covered the grounds and did sadly damage a few cars,
not ours or Lori's. She goes outside and comes back with a huge pile of ice. Crazy kid of mine wanted to save it in the freezer. :eek: :lol: didn't tho. I would have never thought of hail or tornados in Texas, it's a desert. Finding out differently, but still beats New York weather yet I miss home. Wish Larry sat in the car haha but he doesn't, so I have to listen instead to all the grumblin :lol: Hope your stay dry cutie, catch ya later.

Hugs all round
Elaine

Charlie's Mum
06-02-2015, 05:46 AM
Wish Larry sat in the car haha but he doesn't, so I have to listen instead to all the grumblin
- DH does the same Elaine! - unless we go up to Newcastle for 'nice' shopping, then he finds a seat or waits outside a store while I go looking!
Yesterday was boring food shopping!

Well, this morning it's vivid blue sky, 10C, and a gale force wind! Nearly got blown off my feet going to the shop for our paper!:lol: ..... staying inside now:D

Cathy - nice to see you back - sorry to read about all the mishaps:eek: - maybe Patti is right - bubblewrap!:lol:

bluefish
06-02-2015, 06:44 AM
must be something wrong with me because i love to shop....all types, cloths, food, art supplies, you name it....find new things interesting....:clap:

Lady Carol
06-02-2015, 08:05 AM
The saga continues with the "welcome to sunny Sydney" and the parking ticket we got while in a disabled parking spot displaying a foreign disabled parking permit. They claim that they will honor overseas permits. Our was valid. Finally heard back from them and they now want an affidavit from the rental car company and then we have to file everything again for them to consider the issue. The funny thing is, the person who issued the ticket took a photo of our parking permit and that is online associated with our claim. We also included a photo of our permit, the same one and other disability proof in our original claim.

idylbrush
06-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Good luck Carol.

Blue, I was a fairly avid shopper in my day. That has changed. Most shopping is online except for food and clothing. Those I still like to look at and feel. Even large priced kitchen things are on line.

Raining today and most welcome. i always like a rainy day to clear things out and clean things up a bit.

Charlie's Mum
06-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Carol - they say, 'Never expect efficiency' - certainly seems to be right with the Sydney authorities! Good luck - but how maddening when they already have everything needed - and probably in triplicate!

Howard - you forgot to mention your love of Garden Centres and that 'Container Store'!:lol:

bluefish
06-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Maureen...those items aren't shopping per say....they are Howard's 'necessities of life'.....:thumbsup:

Howard...I do a lot of 'net brousing' but still like seeing/feeling the real thing....

cem
06-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Howdy everyone! It's been a while since I checked in here.
Glad to see you back Elaine! Hope life keeps improving for you!
My gosh, Cathy. Insult upon injury. Bubble wrap does sound like a good idea. Or an inner tube:)
The rain has finally stopped here. The flooding has been terrible for soooo many people. The drought is finally over:) Not looking forward to the Texas summer along with the inevitable humidity. UGH!!
We have 4 new feral kittens, all boys. So stinkin' cute! Maybe I'll post a pic later. They are about 6 wks. old. Now if I can just catch the Mama to get her spayed!

Charlie's Mum
06-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Has the cat family decided to lodge with you Cindy? ....... Elaine was a good foster-mum to her feral kits too!:lol:
Hope the floods didn't do any damage for you :eek:

ColinS
06-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Welcome back Cathy that's quite the tumble you took.

I am not much of a shopper and DW is even less. We do often go together to get important things like furniture, carpets or art, because we know that if we both go "that's it!" then we're on the right track. Plus neither can reproach the other. :lol:

noodle1
06-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Hi all,

To be honest I want those days back when I could go alone or with Karlie or Jess..ya go with Larry and you end up driving down some back road cause he decided he wanted to know where it went, we never get to where we plan :( and if we do it's too annoying listening to him whine. Haha

Maureen don't know why but I wouldn't have expected that from your hubby. Sorry it's blustery that's when all those carts in the grocery store parking lots start rolling into the parked cars.
Stay inside, be safe and comfortable.

Carol how awful. They do the same thing here tho, must be an unwritten law. Hope it all works out well for you, ridiculous if they already have proof. Sorry for the aggrevation.

Hi Cindy and I you. I am very happy to be back, missed it alot and all the wonderful friends I have made. I will keep you in my prayers. I had all kinds of animals over the years, the cats were a handful, nobody want'ed one. Now I have no animals and I wish I did. But they charge you a fortune to have a dog, and a monthly fee as well. :( Not much said about cats, will be looking for your kitten photos.

Hi Howard shopping online is actually easier for me, stores not so much, wheelchair a pain ..haha

Hey blue, you are a rare one! lol Bet you're a good shopper too.

Colin actually you're part of that rare word. Always figured you were a sweetie.

Getting tired so I guess it's time for bed, see you all tomorrow.

Hugs all round
Elaine

bluefish
06-03-2015, 06:01 AM
Elaine...here to keep the carts from blowing around the parking lot, they have cart returns....you put a quarter in to release a cart, shop, and return your cart to get your quarter back....works very well...:thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
06-03-2015, 06:12 AM
Elaine...here to keep the carts from blowing around the parking lot, they have cart returns....you put a quarter in to release a cart, shop, and return your cart to get your quarter back....works very well...:thumbsup:
We have that too - for donkeys' years!!!!!!:lol: .. only it's a 1 coin for us - to deter those who take the trolleys home full of shopping and then abandon them (there's a housing estate nearby):rolleyes:

Elaine - DH grumbles because I keep rushing off to get things from the list instead of staying with him and going oh so slowly up and down the aisles!:lol: My aim is to do it all as fast as poss!.:)

Sunny, less blustery, a bit warmer! Shhhh!:wave:

bluefish
06-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Maureen....my DW was like you....had a list and that was all that mattered....it wasn't until I had to go myself that I discovered all the 'goodies' on the griocery store shelves....:smug: now it's an adventure going up and down the lanes.....if it can go in the microwave, it goes in the cart, if not, back on the shelf....I'm strickly a microwave cooker!....:lol: dine out a lot! :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
06-03-2015, 12:10 PM
:lol::lol::lol: - got it in one Blue ......... about the goodies!!!!;)

I now buy steam-cook bags of veggies (for the microwave) because the 'fresh' veg are rather less than that (IMO!) and we end up throwing them away. At least from the freezer they're fresh and rather nice when cooked!
We actually save doing it this way and no wasted food.
I also like puddings whereas DH doesn't, so when I want a ginger pud or such, I pop it in the micro for a minute and make custard - delish!:lol:

Aligator
06-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Hello everyone. It has been a great week it is my wife's 76 birthday(we been married for 58 years) had a small dinner last night and we are off to Reno, Nv. for a long week-end. Looking forward to visiting with our granddaughter who is a senior at the U, of Nevada Reno with a 3.2 GPA and works 20-30 hours a week to help with the cost. Now does this sound like a proud GF ?

noodle1
06-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Hi blue, there would be a lot of unhappy shoppers of that went into effect in New York.
Noticing tho they don't like putting carts back here either. Microwaves take all the nutrients
out of your food, suddenley I am being made to be aware of food band cooking, not that I pay a lot of attention ..haha I am only 86 lbs. for goodness sake:eek:

Maureen I make a list for everything haha and still come home without something I need.
Never tried the steam bags, sounds like it works good for you. I only buy fresh usually and only for meals I've planned, used up quickly but I should give the steamed bags a try.

Happy Birthday to your wife and congrats on 58 years, my hubby and I are ten years less then you guys. Reno cool, I've only been to Vegas once but you have good incentives I just wanted to see it..haha Your granddaughter sounds worthy of your pride, I'm the same way with all my grand kids too, nice feeling huh?
Have a safe trip and enjoy every moment !

Think I'll go sit outside for awhile, beautiful out today.
See ya later.......

Hugs all round
Elaine

bluefish
06-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Joe ...I'm envious of that 'second honeymoon' in Reno.....Congratulations.....enjoy every moment together....it's a lonely life when they leave you....but we had 55 glorious years together...:thumbsup:

Elaine...veggies in steam bags are nice...and so easy to prepare...even for a 'unskilled cook' like me...she was a gourmet cook and I never got involved..and now ?......thank goodness for all the unattached ladies bringing casseroles to the door...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie's Mum
06-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Elaine, because they're stem-cooked in their own containers, the goodness remains - and the veg are absolutely fresh when packed.
It's good for us but I appreciate we don't all think/feel the same way ..... we don't have any farmers' markets near us and I'm never sure about s'market veg!
Bought some tomatoes on Monday - 'on the vine', a pack of small ones - opened them tonight and half were mouldy - ugh! Won't be buying those again.
That's what I hate about our s'markets, the produce has travelled half the globe by the time it's on the shelf here.

I used to grow toms but as we're now away for days at a time, it's not worth it - they'd die from lack of water ...... can't grow them outside:(

Lady Carol
06-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Update on the saga: talked to the NSW gov people about the parking fine and the person was very nice and she could see that the parking person made a comment on our permit and she could see a pic of it, which was good but there was nothing that she could do until the car company signs over the car to us as it comes with a demerit point on a license. So they sign it over but the car company gives an administrative fee. We are trying to get it signed over ASAP before the fee but I suspect the fee will be applied anyway. We are trying to stave off a notice being filed with the rental company so the fine can be contested now rather than in 4 weeks. Talked with a nice lady at the car company and she is going to talk with the person who does the fines and will call back. So we will see where this goes. In hind sight I should have asked for the # of the lady who processes the fines. Oh well.

Lady Carol
06-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Hey Aligator congrats. That is awesome.....58 years.....awesome

ColinS
06-04-2015, 01:05 AM
Carol what a rigmarole.

It sounds like you need to send a stiffly worded huffy letter to these bureaucrats. The letter should include a description of the disabled person's physical limitations, how much they had looked forward to the time in Sydney, and how this whole petty incident, which reveals a surprising level of callousness toward the disabled, has cast a pall over your visit to Sydney. Photo of the disabled permit that was on the car. Deadline of 7 days. Copy to the car rental agency. Cover email indicating that if you are obliged to send another letter, the next letter will be copied to the Mayor & Council as well. Be polite but firm. Civic bureaucrats do not want to provoke an unnecessary furor. Be a headache with the certainty of worse to come and you'll get some response. :evil:

Good luck.

Mike L
06-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Hello everyone. It has been a great week it is my wife's 76 birthday(we been married for 58 years) had a small dinner last night and we are off to Reno, Nv. for a long week-end. Looking forward to visiting with our granddaughter who is a senior at the U, of Nevada Reno with a 3.2 GPA and works 20-30 hours a week to help with the cost. Now does this sound like a proud GF ?

Congratulations!! Especially on those 58 years of marriage. :clap: :thumbsup: :music: :D

R/Mike (USN, ret)

Mike L
06-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Carol what a rigmarole.

It sounds like you need to send a stiffly worded huffy letter to these bureaucrats. The letter should include a description of the disabled person's physical limitations, how much they had looked forward to the time in Sydney, and how this whole petty incident, which reveals a surprising level of callousness toward the disabled, has cast a pall over your visit to Sydney. Photo of the disabled permit that was on the car. Deadline of 7 days. Copy to the car rental agency. Cover email indicating that if you are obliged to send another letter, the next letter will be copied to the Mayor & Council as well. Be polite but firm. Civic bureaucrats do not want to provoke an unnecessary furor. Be a headache with the certainty of worse to come and you'll get some response. :evil:

Good luck.

From my experiences taking the same type of actions:

Don't threaten further action.
Don't give deadlines.
Do send copies to the elected officials, and, in this case, civilian as well as government sponsored tourism offices. Make sure the list of copied individuals is included at the end just as would be included in any business or official communication (CC)
Don't be emotional, but do let them know how you feel and why.
Well, maybe a little emotional, but NO anger. :mad:
Do tell them what you expect them to do about the situation. (Don't ask for resolution, but don't be overbearing about it, either. )
Do follow up with written letters.
Do keep copies of ALL correspondence - like forever. :lol:

This has worked for me many times, but only when I can keep the emotion out of it.

Hope it turns out well for you.

R/Mike

idylbrush
06-04-2015, 11:10 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2015/36241-image.jpg

Grape jelly today. What next?

At the gym early today. Keeps me on my toes. Worked in the garden today, improvement is a slow process. Did manage to water and fertilize.

Lady Carol
06-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Good idea about the letter. So far we have been dealing by phone and an online appeal.

idylbrush
06-06-2015, 06:20 AM
Carol, sounds quite challenging. Seems tenacity is in order. Sure you will get it sorted.

Found some new stencils. One of these days I might use them.

Today I am going to see if I can rest and take it easy.

susme48
06-06-2015, 12:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2015/51170-A-Smile.jpg

Wow!! Elaine is back, and April is back!! And it's good to see everyone else, too!!

I know I keep kind of going AWOL...just still kind of a down time here. But enough of that...

Trying to find something that grabs me to paint. Obviously not gonna finish the ones lying around here, or at least not right now...:lol: I can't believe how long it's been since I painted...and that's kind of stupid, as it always makes me feel better.

Been reading lots and lots, going thru' books almost as fast as coffee...:angel: I seem to average about 1.5 a day...lots of trips to the library, and lots of research to try and find new authors to try. Wish we had bigger libraries with more choices. :lol:

Off to look at more pics...and try to work up some excitement. :)

Hugs to all!!:grouphug:

noodle1
06-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Hi Sue,

I've tried to call you so many times but no luck. I started thinking I had the wrong number. You sound like me, haven't painted in a year, and the library people know me by name...haha. I read a lot like you,fast reader. But now I'm really getting itchy to paint and being back here has really got me focused, just can't upload from this little table..ugh but I will figure it out. Have missed you cutie. I will pm you my new number, call me and I will call you back, that unlimited calling is a very good thing. Love you.

Hugs
Elaine

noodle1
06-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Sue tried to pm you, kept telling me couldn't find you ....???????
If you pm me might work just to reply.

Hugs
Elaine

Lady Carol
06-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Sue tried to pm you, kept telling me couldn't find you ....???????
If you pm me might work just to reply.

Hugs
Elaine
Did you click on Sue's name and go through that way or go via the message center?

PattiLou
06-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Posted in Facebook but I will post here too....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2015/125378-HB-LilAC.jpg

idylbrush
06-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Best birthday ever is my wish for you, Susan. Hope it was enjoyable.

susme48
06-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks, Patti and Howard!

My present to myself was putting the air conditioners in their windows...:lol: Seems like they should fit like they did every other yr for the last 4...but I guess it was a surprise present...haha! At least they are in, and it is much more comfortable now.

I got a nice call from my son, and my daughter is calling me tomorrow. Tons of great wishes on Facebook...so nice.

And Elaine...I private messaged you. :)

bluefish
06-07-2015, 08:39 PM
hope you have a 'cool' Birthday Sue!.....enjoy your day....:clap:

Lady Carol
06-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Happy birthday Sue. I hope your had a terrific day

noodle1
06-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Wow Sue how could I forget, shame on me.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY. :clap: :heart:

Carol yes I did do that, thought it was kinda strange. I'm going to try it again..thanks.

Today was a beautiful day,lots of people doing the rafting as we drove around after church. Took a double take when I first saw this woman walking in a bikini, turned the corner and there was a crowd in bathing suits and trunks..:lol: Then we crossed over the river tubes galore n of course people in bathing suits on them.

See ya all tomorrow.
Hugs,
Elaine

ColinS
06-08-2015, 02:09 AM
happy birthday Susan!, hope it was a good one!

Quiet weekend here. Beautiful weather so I set up my easel under the apple tree and painted in the fresh air. Very relaxing. :) The poppies are out and the lavender is just starting now. Great time of year because things aren't yet all dried out.

bluefish
06-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Elaine...you'll be in your bikini, rafting down that river in short order :thumbsup: :clap:

noodle1
06-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Not to sure bout that Blue but I would love it. I'm what you would call a stick figure these days...hahaha

Hugs
Elaine

bluefish
06-08-2015, 01:44 PM
a few chocolate donuts before breakfast will help get you back to your lovely figure again...and they will taste so good....;)

Lady Carol
06-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Not to sure bout that Blue but I would love it. I'm what you would call a stick figure these days...hahaha

Hugs
Elaine
Elaine you were a stick figure when I met you.

noodle1
06-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Hahahaha..this is true but at least then my skin didn't just hang over my bones like fabric. :eek:

I am very skinny from the 86lbs. after. I got out of NY hospital
Now I'm still no more then 88 lbs. A year to gain 2lbs how cruel is that haha.

Yes blue lots n lots of donuts haha
For breakfast, lunch, and dinner, oh yeah forgot about snack time.

I'm trying everything I know but it doesn't stay with me :crying:

Hugs all round,
Elaine

bluefish
06-09-2015, 06:27 AM
the loveliest 88# in all of Texas!.....:thumbsup:

idylbrush
06-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Made apricot jam this morning after going to the gym. Then a walk before lunch.
Now to rest a few minutes before my next project.

noodle1
06-09-2015, 02:47 PM
Hi Howard, gym and a walk I am proud of you. Since I moved I lost Joey, my amazing therapist. Each time he came I always felt so reguvenated and actually stronger. Keep it up. Next project hmmmm can't wait to hear what that was.

Aw blue you're a sweetie. I need you to show up on my mirror ya know mirror mirror on the wall...hahaha

See ya later,
Hugs
Elaine

Mike L
06-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Is your June as crazy as Indiana's June this year?

First Church of Cannabis set to meet and worship. (http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/first-church-of-cannabis-founded-in-indiana-despite-being-illegal-to-smoke-in-the-state-10305184.html) :thumbsup:

Any acrylic painters ordained? :lol:

R/Mike

cliff.kachinske
06-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Is your June as crazy as Indiana's June this year?

First Church of Cannabis set to meet and worship. (http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/first-church-of-cannabis-founded-in-indiana-despite-being-illegal-to-smoke-in-the-state-10305184.html) :thumbsup:

Any acrylic painters ordained? :lol:

R/Mike

Mike, I live in Georgia AKA the Comic Relief State, so known mostly for the antics of our politicians, though the general population ranks pretty high on the looniness scale as well.

Mike L
06-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Mike, I live in Georgia AKA the Comic Relief State, so known mostly for the antics of our politicians, though the general population ranks pretty high on the looniness scale as well.

In the mid-70's, when I lived in Virginia, I met a woman from Georgia. She was a real peach. :lol:

Well, learned something new today. I always thought CRS stood for something else. :D

R/Mike

PattiLou
06-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Wow, we have had some Texas size storms for the last two days. Thought I was going to have to call the coastguard come save us and we don't live on the ocean! :lol:

Hi Mike, didn't know Georgia was known for comic relief. Know all about the politicians though, used to live there back when Jimmy Carter was president. When he drove down to Plains he closed down the whole interstate. Of course he wasn't the only strange politician. :D

Charlie's Mum
06-10-2015, 05:20 PM
You mean the UK doesn't have a monopoly on strange politicians?:lol:

Hi all - sorry to be AWOL but the weather has been good and I'm using the time to catch up on gardening jobs - when I turned my back everythhing grew - most of all the weeds and self-seeders!:lol:

Susan - so sorry to miss your birthday - hope it was good and belatedly from me,
Happy Birthday!!!

I'll catch up later tomorrow - hosp appointment for DH for muscle and nerve tests - electro stuff and needles!!!:eek:

cliff.kachinske
06-10-2015, 05:36 PM
I always thought CRS stood for something else. :D

It does. I'll think of it sooner or later. Or ask my wife. She'll know.

Lady Carol
06-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Update on the welcome to "Sunny Sydney" saga. A firm but polite letter has been sent to the council that issued the parking fine. And still,waiting for an affidavit to arrive from the car company that transfers the demerit point to us. Why they would need that when we were renting the car but anyway just another hoop to jump through in contesting this. The car company would not email it but had to send it via snail mail from Oz to US, so we are waiting to contest again. Ugh.

Shirl Parker
06-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Sounds like you need help from The Wizard...

Mike L
06-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Mornin', Pattilou. I didn't know that about Georgia, either. :lol: I live in Missouri, now, but am a Buckeye transplant, also.

Since I've lived here the ST Louis area has received three visits from US Presidents and each time the town is just about shut down. I just stay away from those events.

Stumblefingers, what are you talking about? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

R/Mike

PattiLou
06-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Mornin', Pattilou. I didn't know that about Georgia, either. :lol: I live in Missouri, now, but am a Buckeye transplant, also.
R/Mike
Must have been half asleep and put the wrong name, lol. What part of Ohio did you live in?

Sorry Cliff, I typed Mike instead of Cliff and now we are all probably confused. :lol: I like Georgia anyway, in spite of the politicians. :D

The other day when we had a storm a big (really loud and long) bolt of lightning hit a palm tree in our neighborhood. I knew it hit somewhere close... like to scared me out of my skin. :eek: Didn't know where of what it hit until yesterday but that is the fourth time in the last couple years that it struck so close. I think that is enough already! Last time it was the fence right behind us.

ColinS
06-13-2015, 09:17 AM
BC has the strangest politicians in Canada. They are constantly doing odd things. This week the big uproar was over Premier Christy Clark's decision to shut down a bridge in Vancouver for several hours so that there could be a mass yoga event on the bridge on International Yoga Day. When people complained about the effect of a bridge closing on traffic she tweeted out that they were just a bunch of yoga-haters and that she bet they couldn't wait for international Tai Chi Day.

Carol good luck, what a frustrating thing.

No lightning here but a big windstorm from the Pacific the other night. Took down lots of branches here, but actually took out trees in Vancouver. Still no rain, though. :confused: The gardens are very dry and there are bad fires starting in the Interior.

cliff.kachinske
06-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Taking a quick WC break from dealing with the appalling mess in the garage. Then I'm coming back to look at Wet Canvas. :wink2:

Hey Mike is that a Wookie?

idylbrush
06-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Taking a quick WC break from dealing with the appalling mess in the garage. Then I'm coming back to look at Wet Canvas. :wink2:

I found the solution is to shut the door, then I can't see it. LOL!

Charlie's Mum
06-13-2015, 04:17 PM
I found the solution is to shut the door, then I can't see it. LOL!

Definitely - out of sight, out of mind!:lol: ...... that's my solution to my so-called studio at the moment too!:D

Mike L
06-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Whatsawookie? I'm so cornfused I crs. doh! :lol:

Born 'n bred farm boy from south of Akron. Mailing address for years was RR2, Clinton, OH, but that was before zip codes. The community finally incorporated 20 or so years ago and is now New Franklin, Ohio. If any body knows the area I grew up on W Nimisila Rd.

R/Mike

PattiLou
06-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Well there ya go... you are a northerner. :lol: I'm from mid-Ohio, Preble, Montgomery and Miami Counties. Obviously my family didn't stay still long, just like me. :D If I remember right, Susan is from up around your area.

We all tend to get CRS sooner or later... some sooner than others! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serilium
06-14-2015, 06:46 AM
Hi all,
Im new around here andnI wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jenni and I'm from KY. I used to paint quite a lot but have been on hiatus for several years. Its like i am starting from square one again.

I mostly paint in arylic but recently got a set of oils to play with. We will see what comes of that adventure.
Have a blessed day
Jenni

idylbrush
06-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Jenni, always good to have a new member in the cafe. Glad you decided to join us.

Lady Carol
06-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Hi Jenni. Welcome to our chat thread. We have coffee and cake so help yourself before all the boys eat it and settle in. Oh...all the boys have already eaten it :lol:

Charlie's Mum
06-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Hi Jenni and welcome:) ..... we'll refresh the goodies for your next visit ..... welcome back to painting!

noodle1
06-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Welcome Jennie! Nice to have you join us.

Hi everyone been so busy with doctors n dialysis haven't gotten on. Foot coming along great they took off the machine, thank goodness, now to just wait some more..ha-ha Seem's this past year that's all I do, hint hint I am not medically patient. Hahaha

Mark and Tammi, my son and his wife, were coming down for a
Bar-b-que, woke up to pretty large storm, they are an hour or so away so we postponed it for another day. All this food, maybe I should go knocking on doors and feed the neighbors. LOL
You are all welcome to a piece of strawberry shortcake, We like the strawberries with big slices of angelfood cake n lots of strawberries and their syrup, thickened with powdered sugar,really not overly sweet. but whip cream too of course..ha-ha My one guilty pleasure left for me:D

Been wanting to start that MahiMahi painting but would get pulled away from it so much just have to wait.:rolleyes:
Hope everyone enjoying the weekend. I'm thinking it's time to sample the strawberry shortcake. See ya all sooner then later :crossfingers:

Have a great day.
Big Hugs,
Elaine

ColinS
06-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Welcome to the cafe Jenni. Quick dig into Elaine's strawberry shortcake before it's gone.

Elaine your strawberry & angel food cake sounds delicious. Hope you have a big slice yourself you poor starved thing. :) Nan does a strawberry shortcake on soft fresh baked Irish/English scones with whipped cream. We had strawberries from the garden with our sausage & eggs this morning. I love the home grown ones this time of year.

Went out yesterday to paint plein air and found myself up on Mt Tolmie, in an oak meadow looking through the gnarled trees towards the distant hills. I found a nice shaded spot, and although it was by a trail, no one came by so I had the whole scene to myself. It was great. The paint not so much. :lol: But I got a sketch with the colours and values and some photos so maybe I can do something with it.

Another great day today so I am working in the garden on my DS painting for Maureen. I am much happier outside when the weather is good.

Aligator
06-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Also getting ready for a Bar-B-Q (Sunday), Put rub on baby back ribs, into fridge overnight. Made my home made (my recipe) Bar-B-Q sauce, let it mellow overnight.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2015/985441-102_2301.JPG This is how they look on my smoker.

Charlie's Mum
06-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Too many good cooks here!!!:D
Colin, what you describe is a Cornish (or Devon) cream tea:lol:

Had a lot of rain for 20 hrs or so, gardens needed it ... this evening the sun is shining, nice!

idylbrush
06-14-2015, 07:24 PM
I could use a good recipe for scones. Anyone have one they would care to share?

ColinS
06-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Too many good cooks here!!!:D
Colin, what you describe is a Cornish (or Devon) cream tea:lol:

Had a lot of rain for 20 hrs or so, gardens needed it ... this evening the sun is shining, nice!

:thumbsup:

A long time ago there were two elderly ladies who lived on a little farm outside Victoria. They made their own Devon cream from the milk of their own wee beasties and grew their own strawberries and baked their own light fluffy scones. On summer afternoons they would serve a Devon cream tea with fresh scones in their garden for $3.50 to those who knew. (They also served pie and tea for $2.95 but only Philistines ever had the pie.). They had been doing it for so long and were so beloved that Health Canada ignored them and the fact that their milk was unpasteurized and their kitchen not up to "modern" standards. When Nan & I first started going out she took me there. It was like an enchanted place. The Devon cream was sooo good. :heart:

The Fernie Sisters are sadly long gone. But we loved it so much that we bought the same old English stoneware pattern they had and Nan spent years trying to get her scones as fluffy as theirs'. Of course, we hae nae wee beasties to milk in our backyard, so our Devon cream is imported and comes out of a jar. :lol:

Howard I will try and get Nan's recipe, which she got from my mum. But it took her years of practice to get it "just right".

ColinS
06-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Okay, the recipe is apparently a Family Secret and my mother told Nan not to divulge it outside the family. LOL so she won't give it out.

But I found this recipe on the Internet that is The One, so far as I can tell:

http://www.food.com/recipe/real-english-scones-138760?photo=352783

The only thing DW does differently is she doesn't brush the tops with beaten egg.

No cream of tartar, or lemon juice, or vanilla extract, despite what other recipes call for.

I feel like Edward Snowden revealing State Secrets. :clear:

But if it's on the Interweb, how secret is that?

idylbrush
06-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks Colin, going to give it a whirl.

Made a slaw with savoy cabbage and capers. It is delightful.

Other than that I spent the day in bed and did very little. Where did my old self go, if you find him send him back home.

Shirl Parker
06-14-2015, 11:09 PM
I like Starbucks Cranberry Orange Scones.

Mike L
06-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Jenni, please accept a belated welcome to the funny farm. ERrr, Cafe. :lol:

R/Mike

cliff.kachinske
06-15-2015, 09:40 AM
I like Starbucks Cranberry Orange Scones.

I like the ones from Panera OK, but they seem to take on a doughy consistency after you finish the first dozen.

idylbrush
06-15-2015, 10:11 AM
I like the ones from Panera OK, but they seem to take on a doughy consistency after you finish the first dozen.

It gets back to normal after you finish the second dozen. Hang in there.

Charlie's Mum
06-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Rich Scones:

8oz SR Flour (Self Raising)
1/2 tsp salt (half teaspoon)
1.5 oz margarine (I use butter:lol:)
1 oz sugar
2 tablespoons currants or sultanas (golden raisins in the US?)
1 egg beaten with 75mls (1/4 pint milk)
* * US measurements may be different - e.g we have 20fluid ounces to pint.
... Not sure if you have SR flour, so may need to add baking powder.
Also, you may need a couple of tries to get the balance right if your ingredients differ!

Makes about 10 scones

Method:
1.Mix flour and salt together and rub in fat
2.Stir in sugar and fruit
3.Add the egg/milk liquid, reserving a little for brushing the tops.
4.Mix together and then knead lightly on a floured surface ..... roll out to about 1cm thickness - just under , or about, 1/2 inch.
5.Cut into rounds (then I use the trimmings to make more rounds or triangles).
6.Place on greased baking tray, brush the tops with the liquid.
7.Bake in hot oven - 220C or 425F, Gas mark 7 for about 10 mins - or until golden.

Plain Scones (the type used for Cream Teas, with strawberry jam!)

8oz SR flour
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 oz lard - white fat (over here we use Trex rather than the pure lard).
Milk to make a soft dough.

Method:
Mix as for rich scones - again, approx 10.

I also make cheese scones which are more savoury - delicious if anyone would like that recipe too.:)

bluefish
06-15-2015, 01:39 PM
lard?....every cardiologist worldwide just fainted!....:eek:

Mike L
06-15-2015, 02:14 PM
I've tried scones only a couple times and discovered they didn't tickle my fancy all that much. They seemed dry and were very bland, almost like eating a biscuit without butter and not made with buttermilk. Maybe because they were store-bought. I just might try both recipes. :thumbsup:

Ship's biscuit, on the other hand, is quite an adventure to eat. :lol:

Maureen, self raising flour is self rising flour in the US. Hard to get lard, anymore, but a popular substitute in the US is Criscoe. Comes in cardboard tins or in sticks like butter, and even as an oil.

R/Mike

Charlie's Mum
06-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Mike - we don't use lard either ...... but a friend's mother used lard all the time - for frying, cooking etc .... lived to 95!!!! :lol:

Scones should be eaten with butter! Slice then, spread butter on each half - jam too if you like!:) .. tea-time eaties:D ..... with cup of tea, of course!:)

ColinS
06-15-2015, 06:35 PM
* * US measurements may be different - e.g we have 20fluid ounces to pint.
:)

They use U.S. gallons I think, Maureen. I think for smaller liquid measures they use "demi", "short", "tall" and "grande". :D

ColinS
06-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Mike -

Scones will not be dry when covered in melting butter.

We also eat them fried in the pan with an English/Scottish/Ulster fry breakfast. Cut in half and fried in a little butter (or bacon grease) they are delicious. :)

bluefish
06-15-2015, 07:03 PM
my arteries are closing just listening to all that butter, bacon grease, lard!....:eek: :lol:

bluefish
06-15-2015, 07:18 PM
our 'pints' are 16 oz.......2 pints equal a quart = 32 ozs......4 quarts equal a gallon.....128 ozs......

we do still sell 'lard' but it's very hard to find and has been out of circulation over here for decades......we even have substituted 'butter'= made with polyunsaturated oil....and flavoring.....

maybe a bagel would be more healthy at tea time.....:rolleyes:

eating all those rich scones with tea @ 4 PM would spoil my dinner .....:smug: but we eat our main meal in the early evening vs the European early day meal.....

it's all very interesting and we learn from each other....:thumbsup:

Mike L
06-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Bacon? :eek:
Bacon! :thumbsup:
BACON! :heart:
BACON! :evil:
BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON!!!:grouphug:

I bought some pork belly two weeks ago, gave it a good brine then smoked it over a slow cold hickory smoke. No, I'm not sharing. :lol: Well, maybe if you're nice to me. :thumbsup:

R/Mike

Aligator
06-15-2015, 09:53 PM
As they say on my "smoking forum", no photos, didn't happenhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2015/985441-102_2394.JPG here is mine.

idylbrush
06-16-2015, 06:13 AM
Maureen, thank you for the recipe, will give it a whirl and see what happens. Going to make some cinnamon chips and add that to the mix. Sure does sound delicious.

In the post yesterday, I received some loose tea. A green tea and a peppermint tea. Anxious to give them a try. I have a tea brewer and will have some very interesting iced tea this summer.

I have a pound of lard in the refrigerator. The local market has it in stock year round. New studies are starting to show that lard and butter are better for you than margarine. Everything old is new again. Go figure.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Mike L
06-16-2015, 07:28 AM
As they say on my "smoking forum", no photos, didn't happen here is mine.

Smoking forum?

Being all caught up in the doing and the eating, I never thought to make photos, too.:(

However, here's a ham cooked low and slow on the grill last year:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2015/1971095-140420_ham_800px.jpg

However, you go right on believing it didn't happen - you'll never convince my tongue. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

R/Mike

Aligator
06-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Looks great Mike, if you want info on forum I can PM you, it has a lot of great tips and info.
Joe

Charlie's Mum
06-16-2015, 03:44 PM
New studies are starting to show that lard and butter are better for you than margarine. Everything old is new again. Go figure.
Agree, research is saying these are actually better for you than the supposedly low-fat margarines and substitute butter they've been pushing for years!
Also, eggs are not bad for you any longer ....... and eating an 'English' breakfast is supposed to be better than the Continental ones!
As Howard says, 'go figure'!

All things in moderation is my motto ..... and....... a little of what you fancy does you good!

Today I read that research claims chocolate is actually good at staving off heart attacks and strokes ...... now there's a dream licence!:lol:

Mike - that looks delish!!!!!! :D

CinderellaG
06-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Everyone is making me hungry! Tomorrow I am smoking 4 pork butts and 2 chickens...Still...that ham and bacon look awfully tempting!

CinderellaG
06-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Wow! I just noticed I am a senior member!!!!

Mike L
06-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Looks great Mike, if you want info on forum I can PM you, it has a lot of great tips and info.
Joe
That would be great, Joe. Thanks!

Today I read that research claims chocolate is actually good at staving off heart attacks and strokes ...... now there's a dream licence!
Maureen, the only thing better than chocolate or bacon is chocolate covered bacon with a side order of scones fried in bacon grease and slathered with chocolate. :lol:

Wow! I just noticed I am a senior member!!!!
Cinderella, you'll know you're a real Senior when you CRS. :lol:

And who came up with the bright idea of putting a pork butt on the pig's shoulder? And if that's the butt, what is the part surrounding the animal's nether region?

R/Mike

CinderellaG
06-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Mike..the nether region would be the A __ __ ! And who wants to cook that!:wink2:

bluefish
06-16-2015, 06:57 PM
What is an 'English Breakfast' as opposed to a 'Continental Breakfast.."?.....

I've had Southern breakfast with Hominy Grits.....NYC breakfast of lox and bagels.....but am lost on the two above....:confused:

Aligator
06-16-2015, 07:05 PM
That would be great, Joe. Thanks!

Maureen, the only thing better than chocolate or bacon is chocolate covered bacon with a side order of scones fried in bacon grease and slathered with chocolate. :lol:

Cinderella, you'll know you're a real Senior when you CRS. :lol:

And who came up with the bright idea of putting a pork butt on the pig's shoulder? And if that's the butt, what is the part surrounding the animal's nether region?

R/Mike

A pork butt of course in not the pigs "butt" that's a ham. I was told that in the old packing houses the pig was broken down into different parts, ie hams, rib ect. The pork shoulder butt part was throw into a wooden container call a "butt", that name stuck for that part of the pig. The other part of the shoulder is call a Pork Picnic...who takes a Picnic on a picnic. Call it what even you want Pork Bacon, Pulled Pork and Ribs are great eating.

idylbrush
06-16-2015, 08:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2015/36241-brusselssprouts.jpeg

Roasted and deep fried brussels sprouts, served with a sauce of mayo, lemon juice and Korean sweet n spicy sauce.

ColinS
06-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Food glorious bacon. Howard those brussel sprouts look great.

What is an 'English Breakfast' as opposed to a 'Continental Breakfast.."?.....

I've had Southern breakfast with Hominy Grits.....NYC breakfast of lox and bagels.....but am lost on the two above....:confused:

English Breakfast (and Maureen will correct where I go wrong):

Fried eggs (2)
Rashers of bacon
Sausage
Toast
Fried Tomato
Tea

Irish Breakfast:

Same as above but swap out fried tomato for fried potato bread and exchange toast for soda bread, potato farl or wheaten bread. Add black and white pudding. Add baked beans.

Ulster Breakfast:

Irish breakfast but drop the white pudding. (You have to cut back somewhere :lol: )

Scottish breakfast:

English breakfast but with Ayrshire bacon and oat cakes.

Continental breakfast:

Croissant or bun
Jam
Cappuccino or espresso
Grouchy waiter. :D

cliff.kachinske
06-16-2015, 10:09 PM
I've had Southern breakfast with Hominy Grits.....

No you have not. Even this Buckeye transplant knows it's just grits; hominy grits do not exist.

bluefish
06-17-2015, 06:40 AM
Colin ....thank you so much...very enlightening....:wave:

bluefish
06-17-2015, 06:49 AM
I was staioned in the military in the wonderful state of Georgia, where they served 'hominy grits' every morning.....in the UK they would be 'grytts'.....

the hominy comes from the modern processing of the corn...in Italy it would be 'polenta'......

it may be 'grits' in Ohio but it's 'hominy grits' in Georgia....;)

PattiLou
06-17-2015, 08:12 AM
When we lived in Georgia they called them Grits... we lived there for about 12 years. We also had hominy... from a can, as a vegetable but not for breakfast.

Although grits comes from hominy I never heard anyone where we lived call them Hominy Grits and we have lived in four southern states and two northern states. :D

Mike L
06-17-2015, 08:26 AM
No you have not. Even this Buckeye transplant knows it's just grits; hominy grits do not exist.

New York salesman, Bob, walks into a diner in a small town in Alabama (bet you thought it was going to be a bar, didn't you?) He sits on a stool at the counter and says, "I'd like to order breakfast, please."

Mary Beth, the waitress looks over her shoulder at the short order cook/dish washer, but doesn't say anything about the stranger's accent until he finishes ordering his breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast and coffee.

"Not from around here, are you, Hon?" Mary Beth asks.

"No, I'm from New York City. I suppose you could tell from the way I talk."

"Well, yeah, a little bit. Would you like a real Suthren treat with your breakfast?" Mary Beth asks with as much sultry as she can stuff in her voice.

"What do you mean?" Bob asks instantly excited as well as concerned.

"Grits," Mary Beth pronounces.

"Oh," Bob says feeling let down and relieved at the same time. "Well, sure."

Beth smiles at Bob and asks him, "Hominy?"

"Oh, two should be plenty."

<No straight faced smilies in the que, so none offered>

R/Mike

bluefish
06-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Mike...great story....:clap: :lol:

I'm slightly familar with the South and 'grits'...I donated a small fortune down there...three of my children went to college in the South....

could only afford 'porage' during those years, no 'grits'...:D

we have a historic 'diner' on the Island that does serve 'grits' for breakfast...one of my sons (only one who went to college up North), always has 'grits' when we go there...:smug: this 'diner' was written up in the New York Times and now there are lines in the summer to get in....:eek: ....maybe people are looking for 'grits'....:lol:

Aligator
06-17-2015, 12:19 PM
I was staioned in the military in the wonderful state of Georgia, where they served 'hominy grits' every morning.....in the UK they would be 'grytts'.....

the hominy comes from the modern processing of the corn...in Italy it would be 'polenta'......

it may be 'grits' in Ohio but it's 'hominy grits' in Georgia....;)

From a person from N.Y. with parents born in Italy please don't use Grits and Polenta in the same sentence. Although both are made from corn it is two different types and of different texture. We put pasta sauce on Polenta:) I must add that my wife is from Ga. and she and my sons love Grits.

cliff.kachinske
06-17-2015, 03:36 PM
I was staioned in the military in the wonderful state of Georgia, where they served 'hominy grits' every morning....;)

Your mess sergeant was a Yankee, that's all. :lol: I mean that in the best sense of the word. :angel:

I've lived in Georgia since 1988. Eaten lunch in many a small-town diner in GA, AL, FL, TN, SC and NC because of business travel.

Shirl Parker
06-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Grits played a major role in the movie "My Cousin Vinny" - a great movie.

Mike L
06-17-2015, 07:24 PM
There's a new movie coming out later this year. It's about a Georgia corn farmer (bet you thought it was a cotton farmer, didn't you?). The farmer is hired by a young Italian girl to find the man who shot her Pa.

Can you guess the title?

<wait for it....>

TRUE GRITS:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

R/Mike

ColinS
06-17-2015, 08:28 PM
I have never eaten grits. It (they?) haven't made it up. Haven't eaten hominy either. Or hominy grits. "Grit" is something to be washed from oysters, clams and leeks.

Have tried polenta. It's ok, when done well.

ColinS
06-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Grits played a major role in the movie "My Cousin Vinny" - a great movie.

The Clampetts always seemed to be eating grits as well, as I recall. I always imagined them setting down to a mess of sand and gravel. :lol:

bluefish
06-18-2015, 06:14 AM
Colin...maybe in your recipe you could make 'grit scones' ?....they smear butter all over the 'grits' anyway and that way the scones would be moist!.;)
would be wonderful with that halibut you have up there...great fish!;) :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
06-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Colin, thanks for continuing Blue's education into English matters!!! :) ... I'd add fried bread to your collection for brekkies:) ....... followed by toast and marmalade, of course!!!:lol:

Never had grits (or even grytts as Blue put it!), nor hominy - haven't got a clue!:lol:

Fried sprouts - left-overs from Christmas dinner, eaten Boxing Day with other left-overs, fried, and cold turkey!:D

Shirl - seeing you post, means all is OK in your part of TX? Noticed the storms close to where Elaine lives I think?

bluefish
06-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Maureen....I suppose you fry the bread in 'lard' :rolleyes:

as far as 'grits' or in your neighborhood, 'grytts', y'all aren't missing much IMHO only! :lol: but tons of our citizens really enjoy them....:thumbsup:

just like some people will eat 'pigs feet' and others 'filet minon'....whatever turns you on....but fried bread?..:lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding you...it's all very interesting....:wave:

grytt is the 'old English' word for this type of porridge...you may know it as 'groats'

the hominy is a processing of the corn but down in the low country of South Carolina, the uncooked meal is called 'grist' and the cooked meal is referred to as 'hominy'.......;)

Shirl Parker
06-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Just hot hot hot here.

cem
06-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Just dropped in to say Howdy! Haven't checked in here in a while.

Hubby likes grits, though he never asks for them. I don't really care for them.

The humidity is off the charts here since all the rain/floods. Glad we don't live in a low lying area. We are high ground between Duck Creek and Lake Ray Hubbard. That is the lake that looked like a park because of the drought. It is full once again as are all the lakes here, I think.
Relatives flew into South Texas from San Diego to stay with cousins in Austin while some of the flooding was going on. They are due here tomorrow. Hopefully they can make it. I believe some of the highways are still having flooding problems. One extreme to another here! And yes it is hot. I feel for you Shirl. It really heats up down where you are. Glad you weren't affected by the flooding.

Aligator
06-18-2015, 04:00 PM
It seems that a lot of different cultures have a version of Fried Bread. I am reading a novel and even the Alaskan Natives make fried bread. Mine would be my Sicilian mother's version. fried bread with powder sugar on top.

bluefish
06-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Hobbiest.....do you put "Sunday Gravy" on it?.....:angel:

Mike L
06-19-2015, 07:18 AM
Fried bread is delicious and is a great way to use up baked bread that is getting a bit stale.

Dunk it in an egg batter and fry it until a mottled golden brown. Slather on butter and maple syrup or powdered sugar.

We call it French Toast.

R/Mike

Aligator
06-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Hobbiest.....do you put "Sunday Gravy" on it?.....:angel:

If your referring to Polenta yes, some folks refer to it as gravy we refer to it as sauce.

I make fried bread from "raw" bread dough not left over bread. An easy way is to buy frozen dough at the market, defrost, roll it flat to 1/2 thick and the size of hamburger and fry.:)

Shirl Parker
06-19-2015, 09:33 AM
...I make fried bread from "raw" bread dough not left over bread. An easy way is to buy frozen dough at the market, defrost, roll it flat to 1/2 thick and the size of hamburger and fry.:)
That sounds like a "gordita".

Aligator
06-19-2015, 10:36 AM
That sounds like a "gordita".

We get some wonderful Gorditas here in California but they are made with corn where fried dough(the ones I make)are made with wheat flour, texture very different.:)
Joe

Charlie's Mum
06-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Fried bread is delicious and is a great way to use up baked bread that is getting a bit stale.

Dunk it in an egg batter and fry it until a mottled golden brown. Slather on butter and maple syrup or powdered sugar.

We call it French Toast.

R/Mike

Same here Mike - except it's savoury - no added sweetness:) - it was a regular with our breakfasts at college, a great favourite:)

Shirl Parker
06-19-2015, 02:50 PM
And "fried bread" is essentially what we call "French Toast" - bread dipped in a mixture of egg+milk and cooked in a skillet or on a griddle. I prefer that to pancakes.

Aligator
06-19-2015, 03:13 PM
And "fried bread" is essentially what we call "French Toast" - bread dipped in a mixture of egg+milk and cooked in a skillet or on a griddle. I prefer that to pancakes.

Nine out of ten time we go out for breakfast I order French Toast, however what I am talking about is what is called "Pizza Fritta"(sp) or fried pizza.

Italian Pizza Fritte, Fritta
4 1/2 cups of all purpose flour or bread flour
1 pk dry yeast dissolved in 2 cups luke warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons olive oil

Mix until forms a ball, knead until smooth and elastic, add more flour if dough is sticky , this should not be dry but firm until a ball forms. Rise in a bowl covered with a wet towel, until doubled in size in warm spot, away from draft.... stretch out into circles donut shaped poking a hole in the center, rise on a large cookie sheets lined with wax paper for 1/2 hour, fry in hot oil, check oil by putting a little piece of dough in the pan if it sizzles it ready( you can fry inside or outside on a side burner for the grill in cast iron pan) till browned, see, video at the end. While warm dust with regular or powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or spread with your choice of jams.

Violetta
06-19-2015, 04:06 PM
I remember the fried bread of my childhood. On some Saturdays when my mom made Italian bread, she would save some of the dough, divide it into small balls and then flatten the balls into circles. These she fried in a skillet with about a 1/4 inch of hot oil and drained on paper. Then we made our sandwiches for lunch with them. Delish!

P.S. I also love French toast, something completely different from the fried bread.

cliff.kachinske
06-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Black bear sighted within 6 miles of my house. In the opposite direction from the last sightings.

So I'm surrounded by these things which are coming about a hundred miles too flippin' close.

bluefish
06-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Don't put any 'fried bread' out Cliff or they will never leave....:rolleyes:

ColinS
06-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Black bear sighted within 6 miles of my house. In the opposite direction from the last sightings.

So I'm surrounded by these things which are coming about a hundred miles too flippin' close.

6 miles is good Cliff. :thumbsup: My sister lives on an Indian Reserve on the route the bears like to take to get to the salmon in the river. She gets bears on the deck.

French toast is a popular favourite here. We often use leftover French baguette. With maple syrup of course. :D Very good with fresh raspberries or strawberries.

Charlie's Mum
06-20-2015, 06:17 AM
Bears!:eek: ..... the wildest we get is the occasional fox! .... and pheasants, but they're harmless:D

Fried bread and syrup, with rasps or straws - must try that!:)

bluefish
06-20-2015, 07:12 AM
wow Maureen....we'll have you eating "Yankee Pot Roast" next! :clap:

PattiLou
06-20-2015, 08:41 AM
All this talk about food makes me think I clicked the wrong button and am now visiting a food/recipe site! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like French Toast, a favorite for breakfast with maple syrup and of course bacon! Fried bread is something we looked forward to having at the fair or local summer carnival, yummy, sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar mix. :D

So now you know why it is hard to lose weight, too many great tasting foods to sample. Maybe I will go raid the kitchen... see what's lurking in the cabinets and fridge. :evil:

ColinS
06-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Lots of black bears on the Island so when we go out to the wild parks, we just have to assume they are around and make noise and be alert. I have never seen one, but almost everyone I know has at least once. They are also a nuisance in the mountainside suburbs of Vancouver because they get attracted to garbage. The black bears around here are generally not a real threat if you don't put yourself between a mum and her cubs.

ColinS
06-20-2015, 10:37 AM
wow Maureen....we'll have you eating "Yankee Pot Roast" next! :clap:

I thought it was just Washington State and Colorado that legalized pot, Blue. Have the Yankee States followed suit? :lol:

Our Supreme Court of Canada legalized marijuana brownies and cookies for "medicinal" purposes last week. I expect we'll get "pot roast" soon. :lol:

PattiLou
06-21-2015, 09:58 AM
In keeping with the food theme I baked chocolate-chocolate chip cookies yesterday afternoon. What's better than chocolate? More chocolate! :D

The only threat we have around here is when an alligator comes visiting at your door... or in this case the neighbors door.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2015/125378-100_0371_0008.jpg
Lots of wading type birds visit and they are fun to watch.

Shirl Parker
06-21-2015, 10:11 AM
That gator looks like it was trapped in an oil slick.

PattiLou
06-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Nope, came from the canal close by and dropped in for a visit. The blood on his mouth is from biting the nearby golf cart. I think he felt trapped in the corner and was trying to fight the cart!

Charlie's Mum
06-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Phew - I thought the gator had just had lunch:eek:

Patti - we call those cookies 'doubly choc chip':D - naughty but nice!:)

Got unexpected visitors today - a 'second cousin' visiting from Oz and staying a few days with my baby sister ...... this is what happens when one cousin decides to research the family tree and cousins, second cousins and then the 'twice-removed' strand all suddenly appear!:lol: It was lovely to meet her though and nice to see old pics of grandma's siblings and their children and see familiar features in those we didn't know existed!:)
It must be (have been) quite daunting for her travelling all this way to meet and stay with people she only knows via F/b or email. Nice day for us.:)

idylbrush
06-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Fllorida also has bear, boa's, panthers and coyotes, along with the ever popular coral snake that is deadly. Rumor has it that if you were bitten on the lawn of the hospital you have a slim chance at survival.

Slow cooked a pork shoulder butt, oh is that good. Also put together meat for gyros. That came out close to what I remember it tasting like. Not a big fan of lamb, but, the recipe called for it so had the butcher grind some for me and added that to ground beef. Delicious.

Still no work in the studio. Got a postcard the other day that said how much the studio missed me. Oh well, just one of thos things.

Going to a Jacquard demonstration on Tuesday. Maybe that will get me going.

ColinS
06-21-2015, 01:31 PM
"Alligators ate my neighbours!" :eek:

Howard your pork sounds delicious. Coral snakes sound disgusting. There are rattlesnakes in the Okanagan Valley, but no poisonous snakes on the Island.

Maureen our family is plagued with a second cousin (from Florida, actually, so is probably a neighbour of someone's Patti please send the gator over to her place) who is obsessed with geneology and has 'discovered' our branch of the family. She invites herself to stay (for up to a week) at someone's house and then has to be taken around everywhere to look at things and talks nonstop about all her relatives. No one minds family - even connecting with distant family is great - but on the other hand, you don't need an obsessed non-stop talker taking over the house.

We are hoping no one gives her our email. :clear: Nan would probably pack her bags and leave. She has enough with my big fat family as it is. :lol:

Father's Day breaky featuring scrambled eggs, Ayrshire bacon, Irish scones, and fresh fruit. Sort of a Scottish-Irish-Canadian mix!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2015/1183569-DSCN8289Breaky.jpg

Shirl Parker
06-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Colin, I have a cousin named "Nan" and I hardly talk at all. Can I come stay with you?

Charlie's Mum
06-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Brekky looks delicious Colin ... and so beautifully presented!

Just made D his favourite meal as a Father's Day treat ... Paul isn't in this part of the country to do the honours!

Shirl, I don't talk much either, we'd get on well and have a spare bedroom!:)

idylbrush
06-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Another crappy appointment with the oncologist.

Got some lovely peaches at the market today. Other than that nothing new here.

cliff.kachinske
06-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Coral snakes. I knew a guy got bit by one on the web between the thumb and index finger. The snake had taken up residence in a garden glove and the guy put it on without checking.

Mr. Coral snake can't open his mouth very far and has poor fangs so he has a hard time injecting much venom. Even so, my co-worker ended up with no feeling in the hand.

ColinS
06-23-2015, 02:17 AM
Colin, I have a cousin named "Nan" and I hardly talk at all. Can I come stay with you?

Anytime Shirl. :lol: You too Maureen. You and Nan could swap scone recipes. :D

noodle1
06-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Morning all,,

Belated Happy Fathers Day to all the dads! Mark and Tammie came down for a bar-b-que on
Sunday. I actually felt normal being able to do what I love....cook..ha-ha Eat not so much, I
am a bit too fussie with food, probably why Texas and I aren't doing too well in the food department..ha-ha. I really miss the Italian bread, danish, hard rolls and great pizza and Chinese food, everything down here is Tex-Mex. I miss the mix of all the cultures and the food. Sad to say for me Texas is not all that much unfortunately. But on the 11th of July it will improve, Devon, Jordan and Jessie will be coming..:clap: :clap: Karlie can't make it, maybe in winter she says. Jordan is thinking of coming down and staying which would be awesome. She's like Karlie, very smart and where we use to live, Lakeway the school is geared towards the Jordan's of the world. I hope she does. come to stay. Devon won't
but he and his dad get along better then dad and a girl, Johnny hasn't a clue about girls of any age:rolleyes: we shall see what happens.

I've been running back and forth to the wound care center, two hour drive, foot taking a bit to heal, first they put on a vaccum, now I just gotten my second graft do hope this ends soon. I need to stand up and walk..ha-ha. No flooding close to us but in Whimberly some poor
souls lost their lives. San Antonio got flooded and San Marcos both close around me but we just got, and still, a lot of rain. Warnings about snakes by the rivers. Mark killed one in his back yard, poisonous, others not. Have to admit don't much like snakes but more concerned with the spiders down here, some quite nasty.

Well need to get ready for my day at dialysis, hope you all have a wonderful day. Patti that gator visitor looked grumpy..ha-ha. Wouldn't want. to open my front door and walk into him.

See ya all later, enjoy your day, evening for some.

Hugs all round,
Elaine

Charlie's Mum
06-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Glad you weren't flooded Elaine - I was concerned when we saw the tv pics around San Antonio and others:eek:

This afternoon we saw the sun! Had forgotten what it looked like:lol: .... so I went out to mow the lawn - got stopped for an hour when friends rang, then finished the grass before making dinner ......... we seem to have a lot of course grass this year, it was sending up stalks 8" high and it's overpowering the finer grasses .... must find out why, or what to do about it!
The lawn people who treat it are due next week so I'll be asking why weeds are coming up! Huh - not supposed to!
Had a busy day - hairdresser for cut, physio for D., shopping then the garden - ready for dreamland now!!!

idylbrush
06-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Went to a Jacquard demonstration yesterday. Almost to many products. Did find out that some of their products are archival and agreeable to mix with acrylics. I have been experimenting with this idea for years but now know it is a good thing.

Also picked up a few pens and refillable blanks.

Today is an eye exam. Hoping for new glasses so I have a second pair.

Charlie's Mum
06-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Anytime Shirl. :lol: You too Maureen. You and Nan could swap scone recipes. :D

I'd love that Colin - pity I don't have a passport any longer!:lol:

PattiLou
06-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Ugh! I was out pulling weeds but had to give up... too hot already! Will have to do a little bit every morning, it's never ending. :(

Also planted three more pineapple plants that I started. Soon I will have a plantation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's hoping you heal real soon Elaine. Running back and forth to doctors eats up too much time, and it gets old real quick!

Hi everybody. :wave:

noodle1
06-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Morning Maureen,Howard,Patti, Shirl, all the gang ;)

It was hot here yesterday too, but that seemed much better to me then gloomy rain. No Maureen we were fine with the flooding, although they shut down all the activities on the Guadaloupe, tubbing a big thing round here. My grand kids are all excited about Schitterbahn,huge water park, starting to save for it, rather expensive but what isn't. They'll have a ball so that's worth it.

Thanks Patti, I'm hoping the foot thing will be done soon too.
Sooo many years on one little foot:eek:

Howard new glasses, nice. You will have to show us, please.
My new glasses slide down my nose, don't know if my head shrunk or what:lol: :lol: Have to take them back and see if they are adjustable.

Hey Shirl, how are you? I'll give you a ring, takes me forever to type on this pad..ha-ha Stay dry and cool.

Going to try and paint a little today. Got a small Photoshop program, twas free, but can't find the way to resize pictures. I reeeeally miss my computer. ;)

Have great day, evening will check back later.

Hugs all round,
Elaine

idylbrush
06-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Getting black frames, only half way around lenses. Same style I have just black instead of graphite.

Went to the craft store today and made a few minor purchases. Was in the studio for a while, working on a new piece. First time in far to many months. Going to play a bit on this one.

Made macaroni salad for lunch. Used quinoa and amaranth pasta. Found I like it immensely. Very tasty. Between the pasta, tomato, olives and tuna it is a nicely balanced meal.

Giving up on the garden. Thinking potted plants with automated watering system may be a better choice for now.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Aligator
06-25-2015, 07:27 PM
My new glasses slide down my nose, don't know if my head shrunk or what Have to take them back and see if they are adjustable.

Elaine, I have the eye glass place put new rubber caps on my nose piece, and of course adjustment.

Charlie's Mum
06-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Thinking potted plants with automated watering system may be a better choice for now. -works well - until the system breaks down:( .. made life easier when it was working!:)

Like Patti, my weeds just pop up soon as my back is turned - hot and humid today (well, hot for us! - 23C and overcast) ....... inspected hedge and felt very disgruntled - it's mostly beech, with some laurel and the laurel leaves are being attacked by something, don't know what, but all discoloured and curling ......... maybe the neighbours have used some weedkiller!!!!!!! :lol:
Also has high nettles growing through and I can't get to the base of them to dig or pull ....... then, in another area, brambles coming through from outside - can't get to them either. Will try a spray killer as soon as I know it won't rain!
On the plus side, roses and clematis are starting to bloom and at last, the geraniums are opening.

My specs slip down my nose too - even after adjustments! Grrrr. I tried taping little bits of sponge on the bit that goes behind the ear - does work!:)

Aligator
06-26-2015, 04:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2015/985441-20150625_182531_resized_2_1.jpg

My Grapes are getting away from me, growing up the trees.

Charlie's Mum
06-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Need a step ladder Joe?:)

Aligator
06-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Not a problem, when my Grapes, Figs, Pomegranates and Lemons are ready I get a lot of "help" from friends and family.

idylbrush
06-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Joe, the grapes appear to be very healthy.

Thinking pomegranate and fig in pots may be in order. If I plant them in the sand I have for a yard they eventually die. May even try an orange tree or a fruit cocktail tree at some point.

Aligator
06-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Joe, the grapes appear to be very healthy.

Thinking pomegranate and fig in pots may be in order. If I plant them in the sand I have for a yard they eventually die. May even try an orange tree or a fruit cocktail tree at some point.

Howard, I think I would try to dig a BIG hold in your sand and fill it with top soil, compost and such and plant a fig tree. Its hard to kill a fig tree. I bet you could make some great fig jam.:)

idylbrush
06-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Joe, Have done that many times but the organic matter disappears in a matter of months. It has taken me 40 years to get something that resembles soil in the front yard. I don't have that kind of time left.

Aligator
06-30-2015, 11:29 AM
When you have a garden/fruit trees its always something. After all the work I did to get my garden soil "right" even soil testing it looks like I am lacking in Calcium. Had some old Calcium pill that we were not going to use so I dissolved them in water and treated the garden, we will see if it helps. We spent last Sat. at the West Sacramento(California Swim Meet, two granddaughters did very well and my son is the coach. :)