PDA

View Full Version : HMNZS Gambia - again

faminz
05-31-2015, 06:21 PM
btw are ships ok to post here in aviation forum.. im assuming yes from seeing them of course (and i do love to see them)

ive just been asked to do a large A2 size colour painting (acrylic) of the hmnzs gambia. i did a mainly b&w drawing ages ago but and have been asked to scale it up and use more colour.. i found a book with a colour cover that ill use as reference but if anyone has any other colour references id love to see them!

ive attached (i hope) a pic of my drawing and the book cover. they are almost the same attitude! should be a breeze apart from the size.

I had the drawing printed (very faded out) onto an A1 piece of canvas as a guide so really to be honest it'll be almost paint by numbers but its what was requested and will give please to the commissioners dad for christmas (I hope). His father sailed on it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2015/1063042-image.jpg

gollum
05-31-2015, 06:36 PM
I followed your thread on the drawing....I was kinda left speechless....post it here again so the others who missed it can see what an incredible drawing it is

And the new one you are doing as well :)

napier
05-31-2015, 06:40 PM
will watch this with interest.

Gray539
05-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Awesome looking drawing, faminz.

vegaskip
06-01-2015, 05:05 AM
If the new one comes out as good as this it should go down a storm. Make sure you have all the information in the brief, it's all very well some one asking for a picture of a particular ship, but like humans, ships tend to change as time goes by. Some ships are almost unrecognisable ( QE class battleships even lost a funnel!.) most changes are less obvious, diferent radars, anti aircraft guns etc.if a client just wants a named ship, that's fine. If it is one they were on, that's where your reference source gets difficult. The best source is of course the client them selves with personal photos taken while the were serving.
Looking forward to the out come.
Jim

PaulsPaintPot
06-03-2015, 03:54 PM
I love that pencil sketch and i'll be watching this one closely.