PDA

View Full Version : 2,260 tons please

vegaskip
05-31-2015, 12:06 PM
RFA Wave Prince, HMS Belfast and destroyer HMS Concord.
Part of the West Coast Support Group during the Korean War.
Jim

Trumper
05-31-2015, 12:10 PM
You ARE a master of your craft and i feel really lucky to be able to see these works of art on here.

vegaskip
05-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Thank you for your remarks. Please don't be put off painting by what you see on this Forum. All sorts of people paint, none are good just as none are bad. The results are all in the eye of the beholder. Some earn their living by painting, and more power to their elbow. But millions paint for the sheer enjoyment of it. So don't think you are 'not good enough'. It's up to the individual whether they post on here or not, but I'm sure any one who does, will get an honest opinion if they want it, of course you don't have to have C&C.

Jim

gollum
05-31-2015, 03:41 PM
C&c ?

vegaskip
05-31-2015, 04:11 PM
Please your self , won't do any good, what's done is done. I'll tell you one thing though!, there seems to be a bit of controversy re the funnels. Most photos make the aft one look thicker than 't for'ad one. The model ship fraternity don't seem to be able to agree, with different firms producing different shapes. She had two major refits, and there are differences. This guise is pretty much just post WW2 and prior to the '59 one
Also forgot the after end of the bridge on the RFA.
JIM

faminz
05-31-2015, 06:11 PM
brilliant sea! one of yr best mate!

Gray539
05-31-2015, 09:05 PM
I agree, your sea is really well done.

PaulsPaintPot
06-03-2015, 04:02 PM
The colours capture the feel of the moment so well, with the cold and shifting waves and those ironclads steaming onwards. Basically, nice work.

Terry 904
12-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Hi Jim,

Absolutely beautiful bit of work this, quite apart from the historical interest in the Belfast, it captures fully the essence of "the cold deep". Congratulations on your skill. I have been following this area of interest for sometime now, the quality and skill on display in this forum is simply breathtaking. I was always put off by the necessity of water. Your comments to Trumper were really encouraging, and acted as the trigger, so having decided finally to try and get my head around water, I've set up a likely merchantman to begin with, from a reference photo I got off Shipspotters.com.

For some time previously I have been very much into the 1940's, 50s, 60's pinup girl art after admiring the work of people such as Vargas, Elvgren, Petty, Frosh etc., still love seeing and doing them, modernised versions, but there is so much else I want to explore and grow into as well.

Used to do or rather try to do, medieval type illuminated manuscript before that, a bit of illustration and so forth, but had to pack it up completely for 15 years because my work took up quite all of my time. ( I was a long distance truckie, running roadtrains into the Pilbara and other mines of Western Australia). I've retired now, and believe me when I say that I never want to see another truck, or travel into the desert again.

Anyway, thanks for the inducement.
Terry.

vegaskip
12-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Hi Terry, thanks for your comments. Don't be afraid to have a go, and post on here, plenty here who can advise you.
I have an 'e' friend in Canada who is into the old 'pin ups' ' he collects them and tidies them up digitally. He does the same with my paintings. I get a pinup just about every day, I must have several hundred. You must have some cracking stories from your job.
I managed to visit Aussie a couple of times in the 60's when I was in the RN. I have a cousin in Armadale, so I managed to grab some leave a couple of times.
Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Jim

Terry 904
12-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Jim,

I think you would find OZ a very different place today. Your cousin is only just up the road then, 1/2 an hour by car.

I absolutely love the pinups, I think that they began on WW2 military aircraft and spread from there to playing cards, calendars, and advertising. Today they are often seen as offensive to feminine sensibilities, so I don't really show my work about.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2015/1976429-image.jpeg I did managed to screw up sufficient courage to upload my first post yesterday in Drawing and Sketching. Just a simple graphite I did almost 25 years ago. To test the waters so to speak preliminary to uploading other things in other styles and mediums which I had been preparing. It was a withering experience and I haven't looked in again since. I think I'll ask Ken Sparrowhawk to delete it, and continue to work here quietly.

I do indeed have some stories based on my experiences in the outback. I began in the early 1970's and the characters one met some of whom became mentors and friends were a uniquely genuine type of of the 2nd generation bushy now gone, and noticeable by their absence. As I've said, it is all different now. But I loved it and lived it honestly and to the fullest possible. After reading about others, I actually posted a description of the life in a thread of RobinZ's, "Who are you, I'd really like to know", it's on page 49 in case you are interested. But I'll attach a photo of my last rig in any case. It was taken about 3 years ago at the height of the iron ore boom, and the location is approx 250 kms east of Marble Bar heading into the Great Sandy Desert loaded with machine parts for the workshops and stores of Woody Woody and Nifty mines. Hope you like.

And thanks again.
Terry

Shamrock15
12-18-2015, 10:18 PM
I presume emergency stops just don't happen with rigs like that Terry!

25 years ago is a long time. There are good people on this branch of the site who know a lot about the trade. Ask them for C&C - let them know you are looking for guidance and you will do well.

Gray539
12-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Now that's what I call a load, Terry. Definitely fits the term, train.

vegaskip
12-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Hi Terry, you couldn't park that in my street, it isn't long enough (the street that is!)
You are right about not recognising Armadale, from recent photos I've seen it is completely different. It was a bit 'out backy' with dirt roads. When I was there, my first stop after getting off the train from Perth was the Station Hotel.
Jim
Ps we have a thread here 'Off Piste no aircraft' so you can post more or less anything there.

Terry 904
12-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks Jim, I remember that time also, and Tks for the help.
53.5 metres normally 120-140 tons with 3 on. KW T904 heavy spec 170 ton rated Prime Mover Caterpillar C16, Eaton 20 speed 22 series.A crash box no synchro and shifted without using the clutch to save on wear, on six rod suspension new cost all fitted out desert spec $600,000. Plus trailers, dollies (the set of wheels carrying the turntable, and detachable under the front), the tooling etc. if anyone is interested. And yes negotiating towns and cities where roadtrain routed is challenging, and most people never can learn to reverse 3. Took me 12 years to figure it out, although we all can in time master 2 as a matter of routine. Had 4 on many times at around around 170 tons and a highly illegal 64 metres.

Thanks for the tip D'Arcy, and yes emergency stops do happen all the time, cattle, camels, tourists falling asleep on those long hot empty outback roads, or pulling out without looking. Pneumatic Maxi braking system, so there is a long delay 1- 2 seconds on most, where nothing happens then sudden sharp braking effect, can very easily and often does if your not careful, lock up wheels and instantly destroy the tyres by flatspotting. Steers cost minimum $1,000 each, drives around $430 each, and trailing $300 each. So try not to hit the brakes, much better to find a way around if at all possible. This configuration has 62 wheels and carries 6-8 spares. In other configurations some have less, and some more. Normally we coast to a slow or a halt to enconomise on fuel, save the brakes and the tyres. On a flat road and fully loaded if you come off the fuel at 100kmh, and roll in neutral, after having traveled so for 5 km, you will still be doing 60 kmh. To roll to a slow before halting on flat ground, I would cut the fuels out 8-9 kms before hand.

I am giving the briefest but fullest possible answers to questions now, because the Canadians mostly were much interested.

Tks Terry.

vegaskip
12-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks Terry, very interesting. My cousin was a news agent, now semi retired. He recons he goes through a set of tyres for his 4X4 a month more or less.
Jim

Terry 904
12-23-2015, 01:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2015/1976429-image.jpeg 450 km of this, each way. And not so harsh, at least there is a road to follow.

Hi Jim,

I can believe that, once off the bitumen here, the dirt is not only abrasive, but the sharp rocks chip a pierce tyres shockingly. The miners, and construction workers LV's reckon to change a set monthly, though I have heard complaints over 1 week lifespans. Mind you they expect us to run over it at 120 tons or more.

We are compelled to significantly drop tyre pressures both to relieve the shock absorbers in friction generated heat as well as to help tyres conform better to absorb rocks, thereby limiting piercing. However this brings a new set of problems because the additional internal friction in the tyre causes temperatures to soar. If you've ever had to change out multiple flats in bull dust and 50C ambient temps you will know just what I am talking about. But pumping them back up on a 62 to 78 wheeler rig is a 3 to 4 hour chore in itself.

Sounds like your cousin likes to get out and about in the outback. Australia is an amazing place for this kind of pastime, though it is not cheap, by any means it is popular and as well as the interior there is the softer option of the vast coastline.

Should you ever get the chance, and can cope physically, it is well worth experiencing.

As an aside, I have been showing some of your work about. A friend of mine, retired Lt. Col. New Zealand is blown away by the watercolour work, don't know if you take on commissions? But will speak with you about this when the new year has settled.

Cheers, Terry

vegaskip
12-23-2015, 05:38 AM
Thanks for all that Terry, a different world!. Must admit, when I left school I just wanted to get out there and travel. It was only when I got married and the kids came along that I settled down abit. I think I made up for the traveling by joining the Fire Service ( fire fighting had been part of my job in the Navy) so I still had the 'wonder what will happen today' feeling when leaving for work.
I managed about ten years before I was off again, this time the Shetland Islands for 4 years ( Sullom Voe Oil Terminal) then a short spell in the Falkland Islands building the new airport, both jobs were on the Fire Section.
74 now settled down , but I can still take my self out into the North Atlantic, or up a river in the Philippines, when I feel like it!
Commissions, yes, now and then, but too old for the stress of deadlines and all the other business stuff. Wife says I should have done this 20/30 years ago!
Anyway we'll see after the Festivities. Off to the shops for some last minutes Christmas shopping
Jim

Terry 904
12-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Cool Jim, catch you after Christmas.

Best regards Terry.