PDA

View Full Version : (Black) Gesso Advice

Andre Yusin
05-30-2015, 08:48 PM
But first: is leaving gesso areas exposed in paintings generally a bad form?

And to the point: in my craft shop I am looking for a black gesso with a nice look, touch and feel that I could use instead of having to do the same with black paint. I've only tried a couple of brands for now with one simulating black paint pretty nicely and the other one, while a better gesso maybe, also being matte, ash-like and bone-dry.

lowesguy
05-30-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm not an expert yet,but a clear coat finish should make it pop,acrylic polymer varnish,I mean its black gesso.

old_hobbyist
05-31-2015, 12:24 AM
My experience is only with Liquitex black gesso. I found that it tends to go matte. Don't understand why you don't want to use black acrylic paint. It comes in many finishes that range from matte to gloss. A while back, I did a semi-abstract with black background, part in shiny gloss, part in flat matte. Obviously using two different cans of hardware store acrylic paints. Loved the effect.

Andre Yusin
05-31-2015, 08:06 AM
I'm not an expert yet,but a clear coat finish should make it pop,acrylic polymer varnish,I mean its black gesso.

Thank you. I've been looking at some artists' offerings on eBay and I see many of them emphasize their acrylic artwork being finished with a varnish coating for "longevity and protection" as I think they put it. So if this is something that solves my gesso problem too - even better.

Lady Carol
05-31-2015, 08:07 AM
You can leave the gesso exposed. It does not matter. It is your art. If it gives the desired effect why not leave the gesso exposed.

I have liquitex black gesso. I find it to be ok. After the piece is varnished, differences in mat/semi-mat/gloss of the paint is all evened out.

Andre Yusin
05-31-2015, 08:18 AM
My experience is only with Liquitex black gesso. I found that it tends to go matte. Don't understand why you don't want to use black acrylic paint.
This is more of a craft item that I want to produce on 1.5" profile gallery wrap canvases starting with sizes as small as 4" x 4" so I need to cover the sides nicely. My intent is to make this a somewhat mass-produced item too so the material and the labor cost-effectiveness is very important. One thing I didn't mention is that my shiny - paint-like gesso was Art Alternatives and the ash-like to the touch gesso was Utrecht.

Andre Yusin
05-31-2015, 08:28 AM
You can leave the gesso exposed. It does not matter. It is your art. If it gives the desired effect why not leave the gesso exposed.

I have liquitex black gesso. I find it to be ok. After the piece is varnished, differences in mat/semi-mat/gloss of the paint is all evened out.

Thank you. So varnish it is! Do they all come pretty much equal or vary just as much as the black gessos? :)