PDA

View Full Version : painting #5 - rope study WIP

shedifice1
05-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Hi,

forgive me wetcanvas for I have sinned, it has been 5 months since my last painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2015/1250692-rope_2.jpg

I decided to get the paints out again! I decided to paint a knotted rope. Am pretty happy with it but I need to work out a better technique for shadows. I tried to create them using a wash but I might try blending the background colour with paynes gray.

Does anyone have any tips for still life cast shadows?

Comments and crit always welcomed with open arms.

Leigh.

ColinS
05-30-2015, 10:29 AM
I think the rope is well done. Now is that trompe l'oeil piece of masking tape below it?

For me, shadows are just luck of trial and error - no magic formula yet. These look pretty good to me in terms of value, but the shadow on the left below the knot seems a little more bulbous than I would have thought from the angle of light and the rest of the shape of the shadow.

LavenderFrost
05-30-2015, 11:43 AM
You are forgiven! Really nice job on the rope. I find shadows hard to do. I guess it's trial and error for me too. Sometimes blending, sometimes washes, sometime dry brushing.

Wassie
05-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Good job on the rope. If the tape is trompe l'oeil then it is excellent. I'm not good with shadows, just trial and error for me.

Lady Carol
05-30-2015, 03:59 PM
I like this. The rope is wonderfully detailed.

For the shadow, I think it should be more even and a little darker. Don't forget, the further away from the element that is casting the shadow, the fuzzier the edge will get. But in this case as the rope is close, then the shadow line should be fairly crisp.

Fox_eNova
05-30-2015, 04:13 PM
well done...doing shadows, ugh! Trail & error, for sure for me.
And what carol suggested.

Bevahlee
05-30-2015, 04:51 PM
good job. I use glazing medium and you might try that for shadows. If you do use glazing medium your section there will be shinier so I spray the whole painting with matte varnish when it's all done

shedifice1
05-31-2015, 05:25 AM
Thanks for all the comments. It is going to be a label below.

I will do more trial and error on the shadows.

Many many thanks,

Leigh

Wassie
06-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the comments. It is going to be a label below.

I will do more trial and error on the shadows.

Many many thanks,

Leigh

But is the "tape" real or troupe l'oeil?

cliff.kachinske
06-01-2015, 04:30 PM
I think the rope is well done; well drawn and painted.

Shadows are hard. I've spent as much time on shadows as the whole rest of the painting sometimes.

The shadows on the rope itself are quite thin and somewhat blended. Looking at the rope, I get the feeling that the light source is somewhat diffuse and shining on the rope over my right shoulder.

The cast shadows don't match. They suggest a light source well off to my right and well above my shoulder.

shedifice1
06-04-2015, 04:00 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2015/1250692-rope2.jpg

Thanks for the feed back. I have tweaked the shadow and feel a lot happier about it now.

Cheers

L