PDA

View Full Version : frisket ?

MissMouse
07-02-2001, 10:18 PM
OK so it has been damp and rainy here in upstate New York. I just went to take the frisket off a painting and it is a sticky damp mess. Any hints on how to get the residue off ? I am using 260 lb paper if that helps any.

Eliz
07-03-2001, 03:29 AM
I'm not sure if this will help or not, since my bad frisket experience was in a desert, not high humidity, but since no one else has responded...

Last March I was painting in Joshua Tree national park, and I had used masking fluid on one of my paintings. Same bottle that I've used before and since with no problem. For some reason, on this particular painting, the masking fluid went weird. It turned into the texture of really gooey used chewing gum, and smeared around instead of peeling off. I finally was able to remove most of it with a kneaded rubber eraser, using fast light strokes to avoid smearing it into the paper.

I'm not sure what happened, it wasn't even particularly hot out, maybe in the 70's, and the fluid was only on the paper 2 days. My only guesses are that I had been painting in direct sun all day, and maybe there was some strange effect of UV. Or maybe, a chemical reaction with the pine needle I used to get fine lines of the fluid...

Good luck!

Rod
07-03-2001, 04:27 AM
A kneaded rubber is usually the answer. You could try drying gently with the hairdryer first, that may help.
Rod.

ameliajordan
07-03-2001, 09:42 AM
This is tricky because some kinds of frisket bake into the paper if you use a hair dryer and some are OK. I know a hot sun can bake it right in so it won't come out. Is the frisket in an area that you can sand with sandpaper? Of course you can't paint over that. My worst frisket experience was on the soft Waterford paper where the top layer of paper came off when I took the frisket up. Now I use Incredible White Mask and have been having better luck.