PDA

View Full Version : "Mirror"

thevaliantx
05-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Currently a work in progress. I think this is going to be my best piece yet :)

1611" Mount Vision Pastels on Mi-Teintes

DAK723
05-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Looking very good so far! All the elements are very well rendered!

Don

raxu
05-28-2015, 02:40 AM
mmm and I am going to eat that apple :)
Looks very promising!

thevaliantx
05-28-2015, 03:29 AM
What scares me is foilage. Petals I am not worried about.

Still-trying
05-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Why not keep this all glass? It is looking good.

thevaliantx
05-28-2015, 08:53 AM
I feel there is too much dead space to just leave it as glass. They're flower vases :)

What I would LOVE to be able to do is paint foilage, with a pastel, the way Richard Schmid does with oil.

robertsloan2
05-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Oh yes this will! On foliage, why not choose a branch of something that has only a few distinctive leaves or something on it, like those japanese lantern branches or a branch that has only a few leaves? You can then treat each leaf like a flower showing its shape, curl, twist and angle. Not a lot of foliage just a couple of well chosen branches.

Maybe orchids in one of the vases curving off into the open space.

Make sure stems are distorted in the clear glass.

Where this SHINES is your ellipses look good! All do! Very clear and rounded! A great foundation. Copy the lines so you can do variations on this one with different things in the vases maybe.

thevaliantx
05-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Robert, as always thank you for offering suggestions to help me move forward. I am quick to draw, slow to aim. Think Barney Fife :) Anyway .... I was wondering whether the vase on the far left on the back should look distorted through the vase in front of it. If I changed my positioning in viewing things there was distortion, but I couldn't be sure. I tried to paint in the distortion, but freaked out and changed it back.

thevaliantx
05-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Do you all like the wall color? Is it too high key? Should it look like stucco? Wood paneling? Maybe a checkerboard or other geometric patterning?

raxu
05-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Follow your inner vision, it will show you the best way :)

thevaliantx
05-30-2015, 07:54 PM
I couldn't believe that someone on Facebook yesterday told me that I should just look to purchase "Painting Packets" to do my paintings. That burned me up. :(

robertsloan2
05-30-2015, 08:39 PM
I would show a little of the distortion, yes. Look through it and measure it carefully. Do some studies of the distortion if you aren't sure, this is where quick tonal studies are good. I like the wall color, it could be stucco texture or drywall, it's fine. People do paint walls like that, so just be careful the texture strokes don't halo around the objects and you're fine.

raxu
05-31-2015, 06:00 AM
I couldn't believe that someone on Facebook yesterday told me that I should just look to purchase "Painting Packets" to do my paintings. That burned me up. :(

Sorry to read this... I know how you must have felt. I'm sure by now you have realized it might have been Envy that was talking :) . Anyway, we can never please them all... as I said earlier, trust your best friend, it happens to be you :wave:

ural jones
05-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Hi George,
You have a style which is yours and I wouldn't want to cause you to change.
However, you might look up Pierre Bonnard and study his still life work.
I think your work is somewhat in the style of his.
The wall may need more attention, maybe you could be inspired by him.
You are doing great George, you have good critical thinking also.:thumbsup:

thevaliantx
05-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Ural, thanks for the kind words. I admit that part of my problem right now is that I am just burned out on still lifes. I have always been that way, going all out on something and then coming to a screeching halt. Was it you that some time not long ago said my work was sort of like Bonnards? ;)

Well ... here is my new favorite artist:

Sergei Bongart

ural jones
06-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Well then George, if your interest now is in Sergei Bongart, you need to look at objects in a different way. The method you are using is to layout the objects in line , then proceed to add color....I think you will find his method is quite different.
But just remember, no person is a born artist. Everyone has had to learn how to paint. Just keep asking yourself the right questions such as: how does the light flow? And or how can I form the shapes ?
You only need to keep working at it until you are satisfied...It is my belief that mystery is the key to interest. But then, it is only what I think. You have the ability.

thevaliantx
06-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Even though I have not really been doing this for long, I do feel that line drawing and filling it in with color is suffocating to me. It feels so restrained, but I am not sure how much of that, if anything, has to do with being bored with still lifes and painting scenes on the living room floor. If you have a second drop over in the Acrylics forum and check out my "Some Fruit"effort. That or adding line work for accents or bringing subject matter forward is the direction I am trying to go in. Something along the lines of viewing a scene through a steamy or glass window, or recalling a dream where only certain things stand out.