PDA

View Full Version : Fulton; C&C welcome as always.

cliff.kachinske
05-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks for looking.

Fulton, as in the county in GA. Viewed from across the Chattahoochee river. Hope you enjoy it.

16 X 20 on panel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2015/1965263-DSCN0052.JPG

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
I like the way you block-painted the bushes and trees - you'd probably see more of this type of shape in the reflections though - and similar colour, just subdued a bit!

cliff.kachinske
05-27-2015, 01:19 PM
I like the way you block-painted the bushes and trees - you'd probably see more of this type of shape in the reflections though - and similar colour, just subdued a bit!

Thank you Maureen. I'm still trying to puzzle my way through the reflections on the water thing.

cliff.kachinske
05-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Looks more like the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2015/1965263-fulton.jpg

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Cliff, I'm wondering why there's a band of blue and also yellow below the bank, separating the reflections from their source? :)

Found a ref (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=180685)in the RIL to show 'similar' reflections in a slow-moving river - might help show some general reflected colour (as in your bands) and then some more detailed reflections, and how movement of the water breaks the surface and allows sky colour to interrupt the shapes in places.

Hope it helps a bit!:)

cliff.kachinske
05-27-2015, 04:01 PM
I just realized I could turn the darn thing upside down, cut off the bottom six inches and call it "Sunset on the Snake River" or some such and it would be a better painting. :lol: :eek: :(

Thanks for the pointer to the RIL. ;) That is a terrific foto. Very helpful.

The band of blue is a foto artifact. On the painting it blends better with the dark shadows from the underbrush just above.

The yellow is a little nearer orange. In the actual scene the shrubbery on the far bank casts a shadow there. The water is fairly clean, so you see the mud bottom. That orange was the placeholder for the mud, but I decided I liked it and that's why I left it.

The mud bottoms on these southern bodies of water are a real headache. The color tends toward ugly and is a bear to mix.

But enough whining for one day. At least this one is better than my other bad painting this month. Which I will not post.

gaykir
05-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Quite frankly I love it. I love the color block style and the palette is very pleasing. I'm less concerned about the reflections I am just plain fond of it.

ColinS
05-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Good painting. The trees and bushes make me think of Cezanne.

sidbledsoe
05-27-2015, 10:43 PM
I really like the colorfulness and simple scene!

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks Cliff - different parts of the world, different geography!:lol:

I see what you mean now :)

cliff.kachinske
05-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Would have looked more natural had i glazed over the orange with pt green

chammi kaiser
05-29-2015, 09:20 AM
I would like to see more of the turqoise blue in the reflections but otherwise I really like this. Gives me a happy feeling.:)

jocko500
05-31-2015, 07:36 PM
what they say above is cool. the painting is cool also

cliff.kachinske
06-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Gayle, thank you. Glad you liked it. Stay tuned, there are more in the pipeline.

Colin, I can't quite get that Group of Seven thing out of my head. Not that I want to. I believe it was a Cezanne I saw at the Guggenheim, up close it looked like a washed-out tired thing. But from across the museum it jumped off the wall at me. I couldn't believe it.

Sid, thank you. Simplicity doesn't come easy to me, I guess I'm too much of a simpleton. Some day I may break the rules and post my second-favorite painting. It's an oil, but it conveys the simplicity toward which I aim.

Chammi, glad the painting pleases you. Sorry about the turquoise; it got lost during the struggle to keep the other reflections from being too garish.

Jocko, thanks. Someday you will be famous for depicting the musical life of Cajun Louisiana. Like Toulouse Lautrec in the Moulin Rouge.