PDA

View Full Version : boat, FINISHED, I HOPE! C and C please? x post marine

Still-trying
05-26-2015, 01:01 PM
I was asked to do this exact photo. This profile of the boat. This is a first for me, first boat, first request.
I had to use pastel pencil for thin lines on the boat; I'm not thrilled with the way that looks.
I'm having a hard time with this. Showing the white boat with the upper portion flared out. Is it working?
This is PastelMat, 11 by 14. Mostly soft pastels, Great American and others, and some pastel pencil.
Thanks for looking.

Jay

Blayne
05-26-2015, 01:20 PM
I suppose you'll have to get a definitive answer from the boater hubby, but it works for me! Just seeing it makes me smile, remembering happy boating experiences. The ocean is fantastic in this painting, and I like the sky and background as well. I love it!

water girl
05-26-2015, 03:08 PM
That is quite a challenge and you've done it justice..:thumbsup:

Still-trying
05-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Thanks Karen.

jackiesimmonds
05-26-2015, 03:54 PM
please post the photo then we can tell you if there are any errors or not.

Still-trying
05-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Here it is Jackie. Thanks for looking.

Nick7
05-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Hi Jay,

I really like the painting :) Especially the shape of the boat - the rounded side. I am not sure how to say it. It looks like it would be really nice to run your hand along the side from the bow to the stern :)
I remember what it took to make sides and bottoms of our boats to be really flawless and smooth. Hours and hours with sanded paper and a lot of elbow moves :D

Colorix
05-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi Jay, the photo helps, thanks for showing it.

You've got nice movement in the water in your painting!

I feel it is a bit too light, the painting (unless it is a photo thing, light pastels can show up too light in a photo). "White" isn't usually as white as we might think. What really gives the boat its shape in the photo is the sense of warm sunlight at the pointy end (right, is that 'stern'), and the deeper blue-ish that represents white-in-shadow.

Your sky is much better than the one in the photo, much more interesting!

Still-trying
05-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Hi Nick. So you know boats! Lots of work. Yes, the finish of the boat is smooth like glass. That boat is 17 years old! Thanks for stopping by.

Charlie! How nice to see you. The pointy end is the BOW. I'm glad you like the sky. I think I'm ok with sky and water but the boat itself has me puzzled. Just something. That's why I posted for the more experienced painter to see. I may be just at the edge of my skill here. Thanks for stopping and commenting. So nice to have you back

Jay

palettetalk
05-26-2015, 08:07 PM
The overall painting is great but you need more contrast. I suggest you add more colour to the stern using the reflection of the darker ocean colours. Don't be afraid to take a sharpened, (soft) charcoal pencil and use a rule to define the rigging more. In the photo they show as having a dark underside but in your painting they are barely visible. Use the charcoal to define the line along the side of the boat too. I think it's a great picture just needs a bit more definition.

Still-trying
05-27-2015, 05:54 AM
Thanks Palettetalk. Thanks for commenting. I can easily darken the outriggers. I appreciate it.

pastel65
05-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Great job. Enjoyed reading suggestions and comments and will keep an eye on your posting since I also like to paint boats but need some experience with them. Leaving NJ for Ireland Friday if all goes as planned. Pam :wave:

mudfish
05-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Don't be afraid to throw some color on that boat - it'll just make it look that much whiter & give you better contours.

Still-trying
05-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks Pam. Have a wonderful trip. Love to hear about it.

Mud fish...that is exactly what I'm afraid of!! I'm afraid that if I add color, I'll make the boat get lost. I wish you could show me on photoshop. Thanks so much for commenting. I appreciate the suggestion.

raxu
05-28-2015, 02:37 AM
Jay, what a challenge! As a beginner I don't give you any advice, yet enjoy reading the different views here. At the first glance, I fell in love with the water and the sky (don't know much about boats). I think the most difficult task is to make everything united, so the boat is "fused" to the water...?

Still-trying
05-28-2015, 05:22 AM
Ah, Raxu. Thanks for looking. I like your idea....United and fused. I wish I knew how to implement that idea.
I'm going to do a few little versions so see if I can figure out how to keep the boat white, show the contours and set the boat in the water. The subtle contours of the boat are the hardest thing for me in pastel.
Feel free to show me if you would like. Shall I add a fox?

raxu
05-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Jay, you must be kidding - first I should learn how to paint water with pastel powder! Then I should learn how to draw that graceful boat! I only can offer my fox for steering :)
Seriously, I have no idea how to make all elements united. There are so many wonderful pastel artists here, and after all: you are the boss for this painting! You can do it; you can achieve anything you want!

Still-trying
05-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Raxu, you're the best. Thanks loads for the vote of confidence. I'm going to practice a bit when I catch my breath from gardening. (But I'll bet you could show me! More skilled than you think you are.)

robertsloan2
05-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Jay, this is great except for what Charlie pointed out - the values of the modeling shadows on the boat. The stern is way too close to white and that flattens it. It even looks a little overexposed in the photo, if this was mine I would go a half step or full step darker than the shadow tone in the photo and also shift the blue one step more violet or gray than the water.

On white objects the shadows can actually reach a mid-value sometimes without losing its reading as white. Also the shift in the gradient helps to define the curve and volume. What I'd do to get that is take the photo in Gimp and use Hue-Saturation to make it one click darker and then check values, look at how the soft edge shades and where it goes to what level. The gradient looks long rather than just a soft edged shadow.

Hope this helps!

Still-trying
05-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Robert, thank you. I put the photo into an edit program and brought it up under "noir". It is showing me more clearly where I have to get darker (read braver, please.). I am so afraid of ruining at this point.
I just spent about an hour looking at photos of this type of boat, looking at how to show the beautiful flair out behind the bow. The light in this photograph is the worst for showing the shape. Your idea was very helpful. Along with the other suggestion, maybe I can try now. Thanks
Thank you EVERYONE for the help you have given me.

Still-trying
05-28-2015, 01:22 PM
I think this the best I can do. I hope I've not ruined it now. In any case, I think I should I'll leave it alone for a while. I did not touch the sky or the water so if they look different it's the light or the camera or the photograph. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I never did darken the outriggers. (The owner said that the outriggers were fine the way they were.) C and C still welcome. :crossfingers:

Still-trying
05-28-2015, 02:28 PM
I think this might be truer color. Thank you again everyone. It's amazing how every answer contributes to the whole of being helpful. Just amazing. Thank you again. I just would like to say that if we are supposed to stretch, I think I grew two inches with this one.

Blayne
05-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Lovely shadows! Don't be afraid--you're doing great!

jritner
05-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Nice work, Jay! Your value/temp adjustments within the hull look much stronger now. Well done!

Still-trying
05-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Thank you Blayne and Joel. Can I breathe now? My goodness that was hard!

jackiesimmonds
05-29-2015, 04:48 AM
You have done well. Just beware of too many light areas on the side of the boat, it has light reflecting from the foam, but not a lot. Also, check the perspective of the rear end, I don't think it is quite so sharp.

Still-trying
05-29-2015, 07:36 AM
Jackie, thank you. And thank you for the more detailed critique that I did get to see. (It came emailed from Wet Canvas before you changed it. I didn't see the illustration, unfortunately...that did not come in the email. You were kind to spend the time observing and that is just what I need!) Thank you.
good luck with your open studio tour. I wish I lived closer.
I'll study the painting over the weekend with your observations in mind.

jay

Colorix
05-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Much better, Jay! You could still go darker on the shaded sides of the boat, though. As it is now, it has much more 3D feel than the first incarnation.

And, most important of all, it looks 'alive', it is rushing on, and that clever sky of yours really help that sense!

Aren't you glad they didn't want the people in the painting...? ;-)

'bow', thank you! (I don't even know the correct terms in my own language, I use front, rear end, left, right... )

Still-trying
05-29-2015, 11:07 AM
Oh my goodness Charlie! Darker still? Thank you for liking the sky and saying it looks more 3 D. I am happier now but still "chicken"!!!! to change it. Have to let a day go by to give me courage.
As to the people...don't even THINK about it!!!
The rear of a boat is called the stern. The front is called bow, rhymes with cow. left has four letters and so does Port. Starboard is the right side. Now you are seaworthy!
Thanks for coming back to comment. I think I do have too much reflection so you are Jackie are both right about the sides needing dark. (Oooooo, scary!)

jackiesimmonds
05-29-2015, 12:44 PM
How odd that you got my long post as an email. I thought i hit something and it disappeared off my screen, so I just gave up in despair!

Yes, you can still make the side of the boat a touch darker in tone.

raxu
05-29-2015, 01:05 PM
I love the way it looks now, even you have got some further smart suggestions from the professionals...this really is a helpful site! I understand it gives you the creeps (hope the expression is right) to touch this anymore, as this is not for yourself. I feel this is now "united", the boat and the sea are "fused" in a very natural way. Well done!!!
(P.S. I told you so!!! :))

Still-trying
05-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Jackie, I had subscribed to the thread so I get a notice if someone posts. I suspect you must have it "reply" so the message was sent to me with your initial reply...all but the illustration. I'm sorry I didn't get to see that after you took the time to make it. Thanks again.

Still-trying
05-29-2015, 03:13 PM
:eek: :eek: Raxu, yes you did! You had confidence!

And your comment about the boat not being fused with the water helped me. Thanks. We can read something six times but suddenly our mind is ready to receive the information.
Yes, gives me the creeps, :eek: :eek: is the correct expression. I got my confidence by using a soft brush to brush on some terry Ludwig pastels. Gave me some control. I'll try again on Monday.

Thanks for stopping back. Have a great weekend.

raxu
05-31-2015, 06:07 AM
Jay, thanks for thanks. You are ready to do the next one, maybe in this quiet setting :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2015/171274-m_IMG_3085.JPG

Still-trying
05-31-2015, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the photo, Raxu. Is it yours? May I use it for a painting? It's lovely.

I see what you mean about the unity of sky and water. Thanks

raxu
05-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Yes, it's my photo and yes, you may use it :)
Unity in paintings s something I am battling with... I know it in theory yet when painting I mostly forget it... who said it should be easy... :)

Blayne
05-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Well, I, for one, say it SHOULD be easy! :lol: It's just smearing a colored stick on paper, right?

Pretty photo, raxu!

Still-trying
05-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Thank you, Raxu

And Blayne, I'll be watching for the stick smearing. Like putting on lipstick!

kentiessen
05-31-2015, 05:03 PM
You've done well with this one in pastel and relatively small in size! Boats are so clean in shape and usually white in color. This makes them a difficult subject technically and artistically in many ways- the drawing must be right.

I did a large commission of a Rinker cruiser a while ago- it was in oils and 36" wide, a large painting for me. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256602) The large smooth curves and value/colors were very important.

Still-trying
05-31-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks Ken. Means a lot.

You're boat is well done. I'll study those colors and values. Thanks.