PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic painting Finish: Liquin

MarCo-R
05-26-2015, 08:08 AM
Hi,
i have to varnish an acrylic painting, but the water based varnish i have is not that good.
It's very sticky and i can't lay down fluid strokes onto the canvas: the result is awful, it looks like glowing wax that is unevenly applied...
So i was wondering if i can use Liquin Original (i know, it's a medium for oil paint) to give a finish (not a varnish) to my painting and then spray a gloss picture varnish when it's dry to get a thin coat of proper varnish.
My questions are: can i do it? would i damage the painting with time? does the paint smear when i brush the liquin? if i can't spray acrylic varnish after the liquin, can i consider the painting "protected" ?
Thank You

Davkin
05-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Why would you want to add the liquin layer? I just use the spray varnish, that's it. The varnish itself gives a nice finish. If you have to give it a finish layer before varnish use gloss medium instead.

idylbrush
05-26-2015, 09:49 AM
You may want to consider a different approach with the acrylic varnish. Have you thought about thinning the varnish.

Here is what I do. I apply an isolation coat of thinned gloss medium. Allow to dry thoroughly. (give it a few days if possible). Then I spray a removable varnish (I use ammonia removable varnish but there is also a mineral spirits removable varnish). Spray vertically, then horizontally and finish with a diagonal. I use a cheap paint spraying unit (generally about 5 to 6 USD). It has a replaceable gas unit. I get them at places like Home Depot and or Lowes (Preval Spray Unit). Sometimes Ace Hardware is a good choice.

bluefish
05-26-2015, 12:59 PM
why not just brush on acrylic gloss varnish.....two thin coats (verticle, then horizontal)...use a soft mop type brush....Lascaux (2062) and Liquitex (high gloss varnish) make very good ones(IMHO)......works like a charm....looks great!....of course, they are not removable.....but when are you ever going to remove them?...

easy clean up...just wash the brush in warm soapy water...:thumbsup:

MarCo-R
05-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Why would you want to add the liquin layer? I just use the spray varnish, that's it. The varnish itself gives a nice finish. If you have to give it a finish layer before varnish use gloss medium instead.

The liquin in my mind would work as a gloss medium, because i need that "fresh" look that with just spray varnish i wouldn't get

You may want to consider a different approach with the acrylic varnish. Have you thought about thinning the varnish.

thinning the varnish with.. ? i'd assume water, since it's water based, but i'm afraid to smear the colours

why not just brush on acrylic gloss varnish.....two thin coats (verticle, then horizontal)...use a soft mop type brush....Lascaux (2062) and Liquitex (high gloss varnish) make very good ones(IMHO)

i'll check them! probably i didn't find a gloss varnish that is not water based at the time.

i'm not aware of all those wonderful products in the sector, i always discover something new!

idylbrush
05-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Yes, with water. Preferably distilled water.

Charlie's Mum
05-26-2015, 03:30 PM
If your acrylic paint is absolutely dry (a few days) then the paint should not smear unless you use something like alcohol!

Davkin
05-26-2015, 04:05 PM
I'm really baffled by the need for an extra coat for that "fresh" look. A good varnish alone will do that. I just use Krylon archival spray varnish, looks great.

MarCo-R
05-26-2015, 06:32 PM
If your acrylic paint is absolutely dry (a few days) then the paint should not smear unless you use something like alcohol!

believe it or not but when i used the previous varnish the brush took away a bit of colour... i'll check the chemical composition when i'll come home this friday

I'm really baffled by the need for an extra coat for that "fresh" look. A good varnish alone will do that. I just use Krylon archival spray varnish, looks great.

that was the point: the "good" varnish wasn't that good for that purpose, so i tried to find an alternative.
The spray felt a bit too thin, and it doesn't gloss the surface evenly, and every store told me that acrylic varnish are water based, and i don't like it for the reasons i wrote before.
Since i'm messing around with Liquin, i tried to solve the problem with what i have.
Furthermore, i'm interested on learning if i actually can use liquin on acrylics (from a chemical point of view), or i am not allowed to, (theoretically).

JimR-OCDS
05-26-2015, 07:26 PM
I use Golden Polymer Varnish.

I first apply Golden Isolation coat of Golden Soft Gel Gloss and let it dry for a day.

Then add one coat of the varnish.

Both the isolation coat and the varnish have to be cut with water, follow the instructions.

It's worked very well on both of my paintings.

Jim

maryinasia
05-26-2015, 07:40 PM
hmm, I don't think I've ever varnished, unless I was painting on furniture...

JimR-OCDS
05-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Keep in mind that this is water based varnish, which can be cleaned up with water.

I also brush on both the isolation coat and the varnish.

They both come out smooth with no brush marks.

Jim

lowesguy
05-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Yesterday I called Dick Blick and talked to one of their experts and they recommend Golden acrylic polymer varnish,done!

JimR-OCDS
05-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Yesterday I called Dick Blick and talked to one of their experts and they recommend Golden acrylic polymer varnish,done!

Just be sure you get the correct isolation coat per Golden's website, not Blick Art.

I got the wrong one, but didn't know until it came in and stated on the jar, do not use for isolation coat.

I believe it was the semi-gloss, but don't remember.

You can get the correct one through Blick Art, it's just that their website doesn't tell you the restrictions on isolation coats.

Jim