PDA

View Full Version : Archway, Walls and Tree scene

robertsloan2
05-23-2015, 04:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2015/70184-5-23-2015_Archway_and_Tree_Sketch.jpg
Archway, Walls and Tree Scene
9" x 12"
Derwent pastels on white Canson Mi-Tientes paper rough side
Loosely after a Johannes Vloothuis tree in class.

Watching him do a Mission n Carmel scene, I took two elements - an archway and a tree that leaned over a wall - and pretty much made up the rest. It started mostly as my following the tree shape while he talked and then I did the rest to play with perspective and finish the page.

Just another fun pastels sketch, a study.

blr2449
05-23-2015, 09:04 PM
I like it. I wish I was better at sketching. It seems I'm too analytic and closed to be spontaneous. LOL

robertsloan2
05-24-2015, 12:07 AM
I get loose like this when I'm just relaxing and goofing around, especially on unsanded paper. I'm still hung up on the iris on the nice sanded paper, though may have a solution for it with new pretty darks that arrived today.

Blayne
05-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Nice, loose sketch, and your values look pretty accurate I think.

robertsloan2
05-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Thank you! I did mess up one thing on values, the sky should be lighter than the pavement. But this is just a sketch and I didn't realize that until I was done. Sky isn't quite that dark except in New Orleans and htat looks like a white pavement... which could create that effect.

So now I think that's a white pavement acting like a snow scene, lighter than the wall!

Eh, next time. This was mostly imagination. The value of the sky blue pastel even used lightly and blended is pretty strong, lightening at horizon would take going under it with white and then blending over with white. I could do it but it'd be the same as lightening with any of these hard sticks.