PDA

View Full Version : Fruit from Life and test sketch

robertsloan2
05-23-2015, 03:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2015/70184-5-23-2015_Fruit_From_Life.jpg
Fruit from Life
9" x 12"
Holbein pastels on gray Canson Mi-Tientes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2015/70184-5-23-2015_Derwent_Tests.jpg
Flowering Branch and Derwent Pastel Tests
9" x 12"
Derwent Pastels on plain white drawing paper, imagination.

Yeah, for today so far I've abandoned reference photos. Derwent hard pastels have a distinct texture fun for drawing either lines with the corners or with the square tip flat. Holbeins are softer than hard pastels, more in Rembrandts category and lots of fun.

water girl
05-23-2015, 07:37 PM
You've been busy. I'm partial to the oranges. You've created nice volume there. I have a few Holbeins and enjoy them as well.

blr2449
05-23-2015, 09:00 PM
My favorite is the branch of blossoms. Apple or cherry maybe? The sketch has an Oriental flavor.

robertsloan2
05-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Thank you! Yes I was thinking of apple blossoms, from a tree my daughter had in Kansas that I saw very often. Also of Asian cherry blossom paintings. I was going for something like a classical form and may develop this through some other renderings.

It's easier to tell in person but the blender-blended soft passages aren't as pale as the white-blended stripes, photo evened those out in person.

I had fun with both of these and may do more - being stuck on the irises I just decided to goof with pastels today and let the irises get done when I think of what to do with them.

bobbymac
05-24-2015, 05:27 AM
Love the oranges. They are very rich.

Still-trying
05-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Oooo, do a painting with those blossoms!!

Blayne
05-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Excellent values in both! Those oranges look very good, and I really like the branch with blossoms.

robertsloan2
05-24-2015, 09:32 AM
That's what I'm thinking, to expand that little sketch into a painting. I might want to use a panoramic format too. Most times I just use a rectangle with a normal proportion but the branch ought to be on something wider than usual. Maybe 6" x 12", a double square...

Mettaphorica
05-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Nice! Oranges are eye-catching, for some reason their base shadow made me think of chocolate and so heightened their sense of deliciousness! Perhaps it's the contrast.I too immediately thought the blossoms are pretty and should be expanded on.

I have always wanted to try Holbeins as I love the high key colours (which is not very handy for someone who does mostly animals...oh well..love them anyway...) but heard/read somewhere on here that there is some doubt about their lightfastness.
cheers
Donna

robertsloan2
05-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Donna, thank you for the rumor on their lightfastness. The set I have is 36 half sticks and just perfect for my vest pocket, so I may be using them for plein air. Still working out how to set up plein air in the garden at the clinic, when there aren't good places to sit beside what I want to paint.

I took a look at the branch minus the distracting color tests and posted it on Spotlight, here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2015/70184-5-24-2015_Flowering_Branch_Minus_Tests.jpg
Flowering Apple Branch from Memory
Approx. 7" x 4 1/2"
Derwent pastels on white sketch paper.

That's how it'd fit more or less in a horizontal format double square panoramic - a shape I haven't done much in. This could be a lot of fun. I have fairly big Mi-Tientes Touch in light colors and white that I could use for background and might use Pan Pastels for a smooth shimmering background.

Inspired by numerous Chinese paintings, I'm tempted to use the Pearlized pans as background in dawn colors and keep them that light, if necessary tinting up with pearl white medium. Then do the branch in sticks over the Pans layer. Still planning it. The accidental gradient in the photo gave me the idea though I may change the direction of the colors and values. Dawn's pink-gold at horizon and bluer at zenith. If you think the gradient looks better like this, I can turn the bottom area into a vaguely defined "trees through mist" look.

Norma46
05-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Rob, what do you mean by "blender blended"?

Love the branch of blossoms. They would be gorgeous with the pearlized pans.