PDA

View Full Version : Paper?

kaz
06-20-2000, 11:35 AM
A question? I`m trying to find a good over all paper that`s good for drawing and then watercoloring. The 140 weight paper of cold prees and hot press just does`nt work to well. It alway`s pull`s up or start`s to wrinkle as soon as I apply water to the paper, does someone have any suggestion`s I`m new to this medium any tip`s would be greatly appreciated, It`s truly frustrating, I`ve destroyed two very labor intentsive drawing`s because of my lack of knowledge So I turn once again to my Wetcanvas advisor`s,please help!

------------------

[This message has been edited by kaz (edited June 20, 2000).]

Lynda Mortensen
06-20-2000, 04:38 PM
Try sticking it down onto your drawing board with masking tape along all four sides before you paint - it will still cockle a little, but will dry flat - this is a good technique to use en plein air, when you want to travel light. Alternatively, if you are careful you can 'stretch' the drawing, just as you would blank watercolour paper - Soak it for a few minutes in a tray of cold water, then place on a strong drawing board and seal the edges down with gummed tape (not masking tape). Leave it flat to dry, then you can paint over your drawing without any cockling at all. Of course, it's better if you stretch the blank paper before you draw on it if possible!

Yorky
06-20-2000, 05:32 PM
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Text</FONT f>Why not try using a watercolour block. This is a pad with all four edges glued together.

The only drawback is you have to remove your painting to get a the next clean page.

A compromise is to fix all four edges of an ordinary w/c pad with masking tape before you start to paint.

oleCC
06-20-2000, 06:17 PM
hot press paper (300#) tolerates water and will be easy to draw on. cold press (300#) has texture, but also tolerates water more than 140#. I tape all edges regardless of the weight - keeps the buckling down but also provides a neat clean edge to the painting.
Good luck, hope these suggestions help!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol

ameliajordan
06-21-2000, 04:20 PM
Cheap Joe's carries a 200 lb. Waterford paper. It is much heavier than 140 lb. but MUCH cheaper than 300 lb. Lots of us in my class like it for wet on wet. Might be what you're looking for.

Burkeman
06-21-2000, 08:35 PM
You can also stretch it by soaking in water and stretching on either plywood or over stretcher bars and either staple or use thumbtacks to hold it down. When it dries it will be tight as a drum and won't buckle.

kaz
06-21-2000, 09:42 PM
Thank`s everyone for the help, also like the idea of stretching it tight as a drum being a percussionist and what not.Thank`s for tolerating a novice. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------