PDA

View Full Version : Sunset scene - before & after (2 years after)

lanaballot
05-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Hello, everyone! I have not been posting here much lately but I've been stopping by every now and then.
I want to post two images here of a painting I did about 2 years ago (top) and its final updated version (bottom).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2015/1116602-DSC00849_early.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2015/1116602-DSC02681_final.JPG
I painted it right after the vacation in St. Martin, while I was under the spell of the tropical paradise. Yet, even though I signed this painting, it did not seem strong enough, something was not working and I could not figure out how to remedy it, so I just wrapped it and put it aside.
Recently, I've been going through my boxes of older works and looking if I can see what was not working in them and if I can now fix that. This is a low stress approach - obviously, I sort of gave up on those paintings a while ago, so now I can be bold making changes without any fear of ruining them, if my new changes don't work out. This painting seemed to benefit from a looser technique and small tweaks in the composition.
What I'd like to say is - don't throw out your paintings you are not happy with, give it time (it does not have to be 2 years!) and come back to them with fresh eyes and more painting experience behind you.

AnnaLisa
05-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Hello Lana,
what fun to see you here!

I just love your paintings. I had a look at your website also, and wow what nice
paintings.

Your colors in the sky are just awesome, and the way you paint the water as well...and everything else:)

Its lovely with those colors in sky, it really gives a nice mood, feeling.

Good to see that you used an old painting. I use to put aside a painting before its finished and I start another painting, because sometimes I am not sure if it will be a good painting, but after a while one can look at it with fresh eyes as you say and with more experience it can be a good painting after all.

Lucky you who could be in a tropical paradise. I suppose I would get inspired to paint outside scenes if I went to a paradise like that:)

Thank you for sharing your paintings.

Still-trying
05-19-2015, 04:53 PM
This is eyepoppingly splendid! I thought the first was super and I'm so so impressed with the changes you made. I'm going to study the paintings side by side.
Thank you for showing us. What a great idea..be fearless and bold because you're not afraid of ruining it. Super!!

water girl
05-19-2015, 07:04 PM
You have brought to light something that plagues all of us. What do we do with all the half finished or disappointing paintings we saved. I agree with Jay, that your first version was beautiful. Now, you've give it that punch that takes it to another place. Outstanding and nicely done! :clap: :thumbsup:

DAK723
05-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Very nice! The changes are small, but very effective!

I recently updated a painting from 2005, so some paintings do take time to "mature."

Don

lanaballot
05-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Thank you, AnnaLisa! I appreciate your comments! Iím glad that the mood I tried to create in this painting seem to be working :)

Thank you, Jay! Yes, thatís exactly the idea - it's easier to be ďbold and fearlessĒ in this situation. I do a lot of thinking first, of course, about why itís not working, but once I think I get a good idea, itís easier to try things out.

Thank you, Karen! The first version was not bad, but it just did not have enough life in it, at least that's how I see it. Itís too smooth, too clinging to the photo reference. Lately, Iíve been moving things around easier, changing colors if needed, so the second version reflecting that.

Don, what a nice way to put it - some painting do take time to ďmature.Ē I like that! Thanks!

pastel65
05-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Outstanding painting. You definitely brought out the focal area and the value contrasts. Pam

raxu
05-20-2015, 02:35 AM
I have heard stories about the studio fairies finishing paintings over night... next morning an unfinished one does not look unfinished anymore :). Yet this is a marvelous example of how you have grown as artist in only two years - and how to "rescue" a early work. I have tried that in watercolors, yet due to the technique it only makes it worse and you loose the transparency. In pastels it's possible. This is ver encouraging, thank you for sharing. The painting is smashing!

Blayne
05-20-2015, 07:54 AM
You gave it real sparkle and interest in the redo!

lanaballot
05-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Thank you, Pam and Blayne! Thatís what I was going for when re-working it.
Thanks, raxu! I know what you mean about those studio fairies, but they visit so rarelyÖ I still have to do most of the work :) Yes, with watercolor paintings, I would not even try to make any big changes, that is such an unforgiving medium! So much easier with pastels!

Dedrian
05-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Really cool to see what a bit of time and perspective does for these paintings!! I think we all have a "few" of these pictures tucked away. Thanks for sharing!!

Bethany_Fields
05-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Oh I love the added choppy marks in the redone painting. The first is very pretty, the second is stunning! Wonderful work and words and advice! :)

Donna T
05-22-2015, 05:42 PM
The original was beautiful, Lana, in a soft and quiet way but the changes you made give it so much more life! I love how you made the light glow in the sky and on the water! I need to revisit some of my older work. Maybe time will allow me to let go of what the scene really *was* and allow me to create what I want it to be.

lanaballot
05-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Thank you, Dedrian, Bethany and Donna! I really appreciate your comments!

robertsloan2
05-23-2015, 04:53 PM
I love the changes! It has so much more character now. The rocks are much more lively, the trees in the distance and those gorgeous clouds. Awesome!

Mel D
05-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Really like the re-do! You added vibrancy (is that a word?) to a tranquil scene, well done.

jritner
05-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Your tweaks made such a huge impact! So lively! Beautiful work

lanaballot
05-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Thank you, Robert! Thatís what I feel too - the first version was quite timid, the second painting shows more character. That seems to be a general direction Iím going in :)
Thank you, Mel and Joel! I like ďvibrancy,Ē I think thatís what the first try lacked. Thank you so much!