PDA

View Full Version : Painting on PVC panels

cliff.kachinske
05-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Several posts in another forum discussed using PVC panels for painting supports. So I thought I would try it. I got a 4X8 panel of Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) wallboard from Home Depot.

The price point is very good. It comes out to $2.75 per 16 X 20 panel.

The stuff is .090 in thick. At that thickness it rolls up for transport and is not too heavy to carry out to the parking lot.

It cuts esily with a fine tooth pull saw.

So far I've done some smaller experiments painting on the relatively smooth back wihout gesso. Two observations so far ...

1. The surface has a slightly pebbly texture that can show through thin paint applications.
2. The non-porous surface slows drying time, especially impasto applications.
Extra bonus observation: keep the water ratios low. This stuff has very little tooth.

Charlie's Mum
05-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Interesting - but I'm not sure what you're talking about!!!:lol:

Have you a picture so we can see what the equivalent might be over here?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance!!!:lol:

stapeliad
05-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Can you post a pic? I'm also interested.
To increase surface tooth you could gesso over it.

Jon Bradley
05-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Sounds cool and durable. I'd just make sure to sand at it so it isn't glass-smooth.

Pics?

cliff.kachinske
05-19-2015, 03:10 PM
:) Let me see if I can upload a foto from this el cheapo android tablet. hooray, I think it worked.

This is the front side. The foto is side lit, so the depth of the texture is exaggerated. The surface is white. The fish belly colors are my camera over saturating the brights.

Jon B, sanding is pretty much a necessity for knife work. But I think I would rather sand this than sand gesso.

The back is mostly flat, but a little of the front texture telegraphs through. It shows in thin paint. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2015/1965263-IMG_20150519_145704.jpg

bluefish
05-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Cliff...I'm not sure about PVC and acrylic bonding.....I know it won't bond to PE....I've used PE disks for my pallet for years because the acrylic comes right off....also the life of PVC is limited, so even if acrylic bonds, the painting will have a limited life because of the PVC life....HDPE will last 50 years but will deteriate after that...so be careful....talk with the chemist @ Golden....they have a wealth of knowledge....:thumbsup:

cliff.kachinske
05-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Blue, I'm planning to do peel tests, sanded, unsanded and sanded with gesso.

Also I have learned that PVC stability is much better than other all-purpose plastics. I have requested information from a chemist at the European PVC society.

So we shall see.

jocko500
05-19-2015, 09:27 PM
that goes into a bathroom.

cliff.kachinske
05-19-2015, 09:33 PM
It does.

jocko500
05-19-2015, 09:51 PM
that where i see these all the time. next time you go to a rest room when you out and about walk into the rest room and look at the walls. most likely you see this stuff on the wall.
if you going to paint on it you have to prime it with xim you buy that at any good house paint store. bet they rest room will have this on it also

jocko500
05-19-2015, 09:54 PM
use the xim outside as it if very strong and get you high very fast. plus sick also. so ware a mask you can buy at the paint store also. with xim you can paint on glass if you wish or your counters in the house. i used it to paint on glass and counters as a house painter.

mseymour
05-20-2015, 10:02 AM
PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is a thermoplastic. (Melts when heat is applied.)

Polyester is not a thermoplastic but a thermosetting plastic. (Exudes heat while setting; will not melt when heat is applied.)

bluefish
05-20-2015, 10:53 AM
be careful with PVC...in 2007, three Japanese car companies,Honda, Toyota banned the use of PVC for car interiors....outgassing and a known carcinogin....

Dcam
05-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Paint on it and let it sit for a day or two. Then take your fingernail and see if the paint scratches off.
To me, this looks too pebbly. I find the best bargain at the Depot and Lowes to be hardboard at around $6 for 2 feet by 4 feet panels. Cuts very easily and it holds the prime and the finish coat for many years. :) You can now get the tempered stuff which has no harmful acids like years ago......perfectly acid free.
Derek:)

cliff.kachinske
05-20-2015, 02:57 PM
My chemist contact got back to me with bad news. The life expectancy falls way short, so it's no go.

Derek this completes the circle because I have now bought every kind of panel available in the big box stores. My main hope was to get away from sealing and gessoing. Gesso is one of the 20 most annoying fluids on the planet.

bluefish
05-20-2015, 07:08 PM
going back to when I started utiizing acrylics (yes, I voted for Lincoln:) ) we painted on untempered masonite, never tempered....and if my weak memory serves me correct, we didn't gesso it but painted directly on it...Derek, can you add anything to this?....it's been a long time ago for me....I paint on canvas now, preferring linen.....:thumbsup:

Cliff..take a look @ untempered masonite....without gessoing it....:confused: