PDA

View Full Version : "Embrace"

thevaliantx
05-18-2015, 03:26 AM
1611" Assorted pastels on Mi-Teintes

These are from flowers my son and I bought my wife for Mother's Day. Every day is a holiday for an artist. :)

Blayne
05-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Gorgeous flow and patterns in this! I find it interesting that, although you recently bought new, more vibrant pastels, your palette has remained quite muted and soft. A couple of suggestions, very minor, would be to make the inside of the yellow vase a color other than orange, because orange is making it look transparent, as if the background wall is showing through. A darker yellow might go towards green, which would also be a cooler, receding color. And perhaps the inside of the white cup could go towards blue, the complement of orange. I think the gray color is rather flat. But I like this painting a lot. Very nice composition!

thevaliantx
05-18-2015, 07:34 AM
I think the reason we are seeing little of the chromatic set is that it is basically different shades of yellow, orange, purple, blue and green.

The muted colors you are seeing is because of the blending. With blending the luminousity is destroyed.....the colors become muted. The color of the paper is gray.

In order for me to cover up the color of the paper I am forced to blend. I haven't yet been able to force myself to let the paper show. If I were to let the paper show, and not have so many compressed layers the colors would burst....and I think the paintings would look a bit more jagged... loose :)

Thanks for the pointers, Blayne. It gives me some things to think about and correct. I hope to soon produce work that I can try to sell. A local (well, 30 minutes away) flower shop saw some of my paintings on my phone and told me they would love to hang some of my work and sell it. They might just be blowing smoke.

robertsloan2
05-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Very nice! Tip on the ellipse, the bottom of the left side vase should curve a bit more than the lip but otherwise elegant. If you want more brilliant color in the final, blend the first layer. Block it in and blend to kill the white specks, then work over it without blending for a different texture. That's how I handle it since I'm not usually fond of white specks. Sometimes I leave them though.

Still-trying
05-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Deborah Secor, in her free book, talks about putting a tone of pastel all over and blending in with a sponge brush from the hardware store. Rubbed everywhichway. That gets rid of the paper color and gives a base you can work with. Nothing to say you can't color various parts of that base in different hues. Then you wouldn't have to blend later if you didn't want to.
Sweet painting. Reminds me of work from 1930s. I'm not sure why. I like this very much

raxu
05-19-2015, 03:22 AM
Nice dreamy painting, these flowers will stay fresh forever! Like what you say about every day being a holiday for an artist:thumbsup: