PDA

View Full Version : Portrait -- Two Light Sources

Bongo1
05-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Please let me know your frank thoughts on this painting. I always appreciate honest C&C. If you see a likeness, please let me know who you think it is.

Thanks!!

water girl
05-17-2015, 02:17 PM
OK, I usually get these, but I have to be honest and say I don't know all the people in the media or news. Just like I listen to all the popular songs, but could never name the artist or group. I like the simplicity of this portrait because my attention goes to and stays on the face. The only crit I have for you is the eyes may not be looking in the same direction. It seems to be off just a bit. As always, I look forward to your new paintings.

mudfish
05-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Maisie Williams? Agree on the eyes.....but very nice!

bobbymac
05-18-2015, 04:55 AM
Arya Stark from 'Game of Thrones'. Recognized her straight away. Very painterly. I love it. Except for the direction of the eyes, this is very nice work!
Bob

robertsloan2
05-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Well done! Very painterly. I don't know that the subject doesn't have one eye wandering while the other makes eye contact. My son in law's eyes do that - so it's not necessarily in error. I don't recognize the model or assume she's famous, her features are distinctive.

Strictly as a portrait, as a painting, if likeness isn't important her wandering eye is meaningful to me as a disabled man. People aren't physically perfect. Not everyone has all their features and organs in healthy condition but for sloth, but sometimes it seems that way in art and entertainment. I like her wandering eye, her small chin, her quirky features. She's real, not an idealized young woman but a natural person with a common natural minor disability. If you did it by mistake, please consider leaving it so for serendipity since that sends a powerful message.

Dea
05-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Yep, recognized her straight away too, Arya Stark
Deanna

haimon
05-19-2015, 03:29 AM
Valar morghulis bongo!!
very nice portrait

Bongo1
05-21-2015, 08:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2015/129788-Aryamed.jpg

Okay, how about this one?

Watergirl, Mudfish, Bobby: what do you think of this version? I tried to adjust the eyes so that one is not wandering. Thanks for the compliments. And yes, it is Arya Stark!!

Robert: I very much see your point. But the subject has straight vision so it would be unfaithful albeit more interesting to have one eye wandering.

Dea: Great!! Thanks.

Haimon: Valar Dohaeris! Thanks.

glass
01-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Is their a forum for physically disabled artist

*Deirdre*
01-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Is their a forum for physically disabled artist
Hello Glass...welcome to the forum! :wave:
In answer to your question...no there are no specific physically disabled forums....art is for everyone....physically able or disabled. Many of our members are disabled to varying degrees...and find that Wetcanvas is a very supportive site regardless of ability or disability...therefore no need to segregate the forums.
The main forums are either Subject or Media specific...and there are a few that focus on other areas...like business...or even Photography...to name a couple.
Hope that helps answer your query?

sketchZ1ol
01-30-2016, 09:02 PM
hello
- following your threads , this presents a development to an attractive and distinctive painting !
-- your marks appear confident , deliberate , and well-thought to create the image .
id est : ' you've got some chops ' :)

i look forward to seeing more threads , and will comment when appropriate .

Ed

Anja B
02-01-2016, 12:36 PM
I recognized her immeditaley! She seems to be a popular motive these days :wink2:

jackiesimmonds
02-05-2016, 08:02 AM
I think it is an amazing likeness, well done for that.

Now a couple of painting technicalities, hope you won't mind.

1. Colour. I find the "orangey-peach" colour looks unreal and a bit too much like a plastic doll. I would recommend you take a look, if you can, at adjusting the skin tones somewhat to bring in some more naturalistic local colour. look at this image by Alicia Sotherland, see how the skin tones are much softer and look very natural

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2016/1805-IMG_3137.JPG

This chap has a darker, more "orangey" skin, (and there are two light sources, making the lighting more like yours) but there is quite a bit of temperature and tone variation within the colours which is worth studying
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2016/1805-IMG_3042.JPG

Ifyou do not have it, Chris Saper's book "painting beautiful skin tones with color and light" could be helpful.

Also...take a look at the neck, and how the neck meets the clothing. Nobody has a perfectly "round" neck like a pipe...in particular there are tendons which run from behind the ear down towards the collarbone which can usually be suggested as they often pick up the light - these will give the neck some character. A painter needs to be careful not to use marks which "revolve" around the neck, these will add to the "pipe" feeling.

these drawings show what I am talking about, and even if the photo you used does not show the neck like this, it is useful to "know" exactly how a neck is structured.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2016/1805-neck_drawings.jpg