PDA

View Full Version : Palm Tree

sketchNpaint
05-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Well this is a commission piece, biggest I think I've ever done at 24X48" and I'm pretty pleased with the turnout, now hopefully the commissioner will be, too! Crossing fingers :crossfingers: various artist-grade acrylics on canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2015/116170-Palm_Tree_small.jpg

bluefish
05-16-2015, 06:30 PM
love the background....:thumbsup:

idylbrush
05-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Delightful!

Leroy Umland
05-17-2015, 05:55 AM
very nice, I like the way tree is shaped and leaves look very natural looking, and like the colors also......Well done!

Bevahlee
05-17-2015, 07:50 AM
I almost didn't open this thread because I expected the usual corny kitschey green palm tree with sunset or blue sky, but this is a very nice piece with lots of bits and pieces to entertain the eye. Great job

Charlie's Mum
05-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Lots of lovely movement in this - great idea for the b/g and like the leaves.:)

ColinS
05-17-2015, 08:49 AM
I love how you approached this. The Palm is nicely painted, without being overdone, and the background is excellent. There is a freshness about the colour choices and style that is very appealing. I am sure the commissioner will love it.

Lady Carol
05-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Nice!

sketchNpaint
05-18-2015, 09:10 AM
ColinS - it is sometimes a challenge to apply the cools and warms in a way where they don't compete. I was going for a beachy look in the background but not in an obvious way. I am to deliver the painting this week and luckily, she doesn't seem too hard to please; thank you for your complimentary reply!

Charlies Mum - I was thinking "movement" when I applied those circular sweeps, not quite sure if it was going to work or if it was to end up making it look cheap. I learn something every time I paint and I think I'll use the technique again in the future when needed because I really think that's what made the movement in this piece.

Bevahlee - I'm glad you opened the thread, too! Thank you for your observations. I love having this site to bounce things off other artists...I'm not so sure I would've clicked on this thread either with the subject line I chose. I need to give this piece a better name :lol:

Lady Carol, Leroy, idylbrush and bluefish - thank you all for taking the time to give me some feedback :wave:

chammi kaiser
05-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Sharla, great background and I , too like the leaves and their movement. Good one.