PDA

View Full Version : Painting On Wood

Chezzy-chick
05-16-2015, 12:18 PM
I am looking at painting on wooden boards with my acrylic, and i am trying to find the right type. My brother has a laser cutter so he can cut any size for me quite quickly and easily (Bless Him). He has Birch laser ply that is 3mm thick which does not contain Formaldahyde, do I need to treat the wood with gac100 before adding my layers of Gesso? My other question is I am only looking to paint up to 20x16, more usually i will paint miniatures and up to 12x10, will 3mm be thick enough and should I Gesso the back too? Sorry for bombarding you all with questions but i just want to get on with painting and i want to find the right surface first.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

cliff.kachinske
05-16-2015, 02:01 PM
It's best to seal wood, MDF, hardboard to prevent discoloration. GAC100 is one good way.

A panel that thin is almost certain to warp as the layers shrink on drying. Coating the back will help. I would coat the back at the sealing stage and maybe at the gesso stage too.

Chezzy-chick
05-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much Stumblefingers, I was panicking no one would reply! What thickness would you recommend to avoid warping?

Charlie's Mum
05-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Chezzy - you'll nearly always get help - just takes time for people in different parts to log on!:)

I think Cliff is probably right but I'm just thinking that canvas boards are about the same thickness and they're OK:) (warping-wise!)
Personally, I'd play safe and seal both sides.:)

cliff.kachinske
05-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Veneeer is so thin on plywood now that water gets into the lower layers and they swell. The veneer is too weak to hold it in place so the panel warps.

cliff.kachinske
05-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Read this thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227402

Chezzy-chick
05-17-2015, 04:43 AM
Thank you everyone for getting back to me! Thanks Stumblefingers for pointing me to that thread, very helpful. There are so many choices that it can just seem overwhelming lol