PDA

View Full Version : Eyes

J.D.
05-15-2015, 09:47 PM
I am reading through some information on portrait painting. Hear is some sketches of the eye.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2015/1304943-image.jpg

water girl
05-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Nice job! They appear to be 3 dimensional. There is a particular portrait artist I really admire. Google Cuong Nguyen, Artist, and you will find his website and some videos, if I'm not mistaken. If you are on Facebook you can
find him there as well.

J.D.
05-17-2015, 02:57 AM
Karen: thank you. I will look up that info. Videos are always helpful. And I need help:) I added a few more sketches.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2015/1304943-image.jpg

jackiesimmonds
05-17-2015, 11:51 AM
I see that in every case the socket is very dark in tone. This is not the way we see eyes set Into the face... Did you have a reason for painting them this way?

robertsloan2
05-18-2015, 03:00 PM
It's interesting how you're doing them. Try using a mirror and working from your own eye. Jackie's point is excellent. You're framing them in dark shadows as if they're seen through something round or the cheek's bruise under it. I have deep set eyes and that much darkness above it is one thing, very plausible, but below the lower lid it would go a lot lighter even if there is a shadow. There might be bags under the eyes, there are on mine. On soeone not, it indents and then gradates toward the cheek smoother.

Another point - these are all the same eye, lid structure actually reminds me of a great-aunt. If you work from more than one person it's good to pay attention to lid shape. That's where the likeness is. Not the iris or even the socket but the exact lid shape is unique to a person. It conveys both identity and expression.

Another good source of models is realistic plaster or stone statues. They usually don't bother with eyelashes but portrait statuary will be accurate on the subject's eye shape and expression. You haven't done eyelashes on these and that's fine for a feature study, it's much easier to see the form without that distraction.

Eyebrows on these vary interestingly.

The shadows under the eyes are a bit like stylized "bags under the eyes" but more symbolic than realistic. Deep sockets are great though. Try doing someone whose eyes aren't deep set for variety. Lots of photo references in RIL and of course there's getting friends and family to sit still!

water girl
05-18-2015, 03:41 PM
If you find Cuong on Facebook, he just posted a video of drawing eyes.