PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 15, 2015 Pendulum styles MI

dabblerdot
05-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks Old Rock Chick (LOVE that handle) for hosting, and the wonderful refs.
Peculiar day... went from very controlled whimsy, to loose and intense, between these two pieces.
I took a whole lot of liberties with the first one, and decided the knight was ready for action, so I sent him and his steed off at a gallop. 40 mins, sketch pad 7.5x9" (19x23 cm), pencil sketch then two colours of Pigma pens. I enjoyed this far more than I probably should have lol.

The second is done on 500 grit U Art sanded paper, using Sennelier 'very soft' pastels. 9x11" (23x28 cm), took 1 hr 40 mins. I have a thumb/hand brace on right now to rest my thumb tendon, and forgot to take the now-insecure grip into account as I repacked the foam and lid back on the pastel box - they slid off the table and hit the floor, shattering more than glass... nearly every one of the 80 'half-sticks' is broken into shards. That rainbow floor made me want to cry.
So there are my pendulums (penduli??) for today... both my approach to the art, and my emotional state. I'll be fine...:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2015/38898-WDE_May_15,2015_tiny_knight.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2015/38898-WDE-May-15.2015-Bluebell-wo.jpg

Valri Ary
05-15-2015, 09:29 PM
I am in awe that you could just take a standing horse pic and make it gallop!! Do tell, how many horses do you have??
I love the trees. So serene. Shhhhhhh.....don't break the silence

DominicM
05-16-2015, 03:01 AM
beautiful

Marie-Thomas
05-16-2015, 03:44 AM
oh my... my heart plunged to my stomach when I heard you dropped your sennelier soft pastels.
I have the same box and although I prefer painting in oils they are somehow a bit sacred to me. The colors are so vivid intense. Every now and then I will just have a peek inside and sketch something just to see their colors, the blending, .... So sorry you broke them. big hug from france.

That sad, they went out with a bang because the forest painting is so lovely. The shadows and lights are full of beauty on that forest ground. Wonderful.

breadmerchant
05-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Wonderful work on both Laure n, sorry to hear of the 'shards' but your forest is lovely, nice and vivid. I also adore your sketch you brought him alive.

Charlie's Mum
05-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Oh dear Laure n, you are truly in the wars right now! .... a poorly, strained tendon, a war horse at a gallop and then shattering glass and pastels in one go :( (the loss of the pastels, not to mention the mess, would break a lesser spirit though - but not you!!!):) .... was it the horse careering wot-dun-it?:)

Love the action horse and knight and then the masses bluebells - lovely!

Hope you recover thumb and equilibrium quickly!:)

tyree
05-16-2015, 11:29 AM
oh my,..what a horrible day....but, ..what fabulous works...that galloping horse is brilliant...please get better ! tyree:wave:

Paulafv
05-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Love the two-colored sketch of horse and rider. The horse really looks fierce and terrible and raring to go. Blue bells woods are lovely. Sorry about your pastels. The small ones don't usually shatter. Must be a hard floor :) If you mix the dust you can make some nice grays. Understand they are easy to do. Check out the pastel forum. Good grays are a treasure.

ams
05-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Laure n, sorry to hear about your pastels...

I like both of your drawings. My favorite is the knight on the horse.

Anne

jlloren
05-16-2015, 08:51 PM
I love the contrast between the 2 works. While the Knight rocks and is full of action, the landscape evokes peace and tranquility. Great job on both!

coaltip
05-16-2015, 11:51 PM
I want to see more of the knight and horse :) beautiful line work! Sorry to hear about the shattered pastels... I be broken if my precious pencils suffered similar fates and sometimes though rarely they do.

oldrockchick
05-17-2015, 12:44 PM
A true artist interprets, which is exaclty what you have done with the knight charging off on his steed. The movement of the horse is so well done considering he was standing.
Lovely interpretation of the bluebell woods too. Sorry about your pastel upset. Maybe you can scoop them up into something and make mixes and apply with make up brushes like with pan pastels.

mariese3
05-17-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm loving both of these. Pastels scare me. I have many sets but just bet confused. The best I do with them is sometimes enhance a watercolor. Nice job on. Oth!

KareBear94
05-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Nice renditions of both....
The woods look like a place to go and sit quietly...

Sorry about your pastels....

Karen

skappy
05-18-2015, 02:10 AM
very good drawing full of action lovely pastel too
Robert

sundiver
05-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Ouch! Mix the shards with distilled water, shape them and let them dry.

Your knight looks like he's all set to be in a video game- very cool style.
Your woods looks lovely but sorry about the story that goes with it!

surob
05-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Lovely peaceful bluebell scene. The steed, super cool.

dabblerdot
05-20-2015, 07:52 AM
Don't want to 'bump' this post, but I wanted to tell you all how much I appreciated your kind words and support following my Sennelier disaster. I have not experienced an incident of that nature before, and realize it was probably inevitable just because that's just how things work - gravity always wins ! And hey, it was only pastels... not a big thing at all in the overall picture of life. If that's the worst thing that happens in a day, then I'm batting 1000 ! And Sundiver, I will try to create some new greys if I can get the chips to bind together. :wave:

connievanwinssen
05-20-2015, 10:33 AM
LOVE that knight!:)

KreativeK
05-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Full of fabulous motion and emotion here with the galloping steed then you dropping your pastels. So sorry! Lovely work as usual.

rozzi
05-20-2015, 10:32 PM
You are good!! I'm glad you could make a bluebell masterpiece before your disaster. And the linework on your horse is wonderful. Super work.