PDA

View Full Version : Wild

oldrockchick
05-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi there :wave:

I've always had 'issues' with the dry pastels which put me off them. i do have some and don't like them on the flat coloured so-called pastel papers but have started to enjoy them on sanded surfaces. I actually won an award in the pastels class for my 'Zebra Kiss' at the local arts festival. First award I've ever won and 10 years ago would never have considered it would be in pastel.

However, I still struggle with the:wave: dirt and dust.
So lately I've fallen in love with pastel pencils. I've had some for a while but they were Derwent and the wood is hard to sharpen. I can't hand sharpen due to lacking strength in my muscles and arthritis so I stopped using them as couldn't sharpen them

Anyway, I have since tried a selection of other brands which sharpen a lot more easily and I'm loving them.

I also bought some Hahnemule velour for me Coloured Pencils but don't like it much for them as I fins it flattens the colours. So I've tried it with pastel pencil and I think it actually brings out the colours.

So here it is...

'Wild'
Hahnemule Velour
Approx 12" x 14"
Various pastel pencils with a little tinted charcoal

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2015/179312-1000px_watermarked-Wild_PastelP_Hahn_Vel_14_x_12_ins_may_15.jpg

Blayne
05-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Wow, you did a great job! I love the intent look on his face!

water girl
05-13-2015, 06:31 PM
There you go! You have found a surface you like and now have success. I have several pencil sharpeners and find some work better than others on certain pencils. You have gone to the dusty side of art and I hope we see more.

Shirl Parker
05-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Excellent, brilliant

robertsloan2
05-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Great wolf! Velour is fantastic for doing animals, especially in pastels. I love working large on it too. Gorgeous painting, love the depth in the muzzle and those beautiful eyes.

oldrockchick
05-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Thank you all for feedback. Comments always give me feelings of support which helps me to gain confidence in what is a new and experimental medium for me.

I didn't like velour for CPS. I ordered this pad with a book by Vic Bearcroft who endorses it for wildlife art. Trouble is there weere only 2 colours, grey and sandy. I don't really like grey and it deadens the colours for CP.

Colorix
05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Lin, it is wonderful, looks so vigourous.

fingy
05-15-2015, 02:54 PM
I used velour but found it too hard for my pastel pencils, I use Faber Castell pencils ....then I found Pastelmat which is much better & now I use it all the time .
Wonderful wolf by the way.....congrats !!!

Barbara

sketchZ1ol
05-15-2015, 04:35 PM
hello
this works for me :)
- the figure comes forward from the paper/surface b/c the pigment in the pencils .

i'm guessing that CP's have a soft ' glow ' b/c of the wax/binder for the pigment ,
kinda like waxing a piece of furniture ... ?

i like paper because it can take only so much material and look fresh
= not grinding more sticks into a surface when the concepts/tech hasn't been thought thru .
the gray on gray looks good -
tones down the markings/colour in the fur .

Ed