PDA

View Full Version : "Carpet Painting"

thevaliantx
05-13-2015, 12:37 AM
129" student grade pastels on Pacon Heavy Duty construction paper. The living room is getting more crowded with still life wares all over the floor.

pastel65
05-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Can tell you are having fun. Colors are exciting. Since on construction paper you could make gift bags, decorate brown gift bags etc. that people would treasure. Would probably have to use fixative. I've seen greeting cards where you can insert your work under plastic. Sections of these fun paintings could be perfect. Pam :wave:

thevaliantx
05-13-2015, 09:13 AM
You mean use sections of the paintings to make a pattern on a bag? I am having fun, but these are intended to be paintings, not cute illustrations on paper bags :)

pastel65
05-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Oops sorry, I thought you were saying too many overtaking home so just suggestion. Pam

thevaliantx
05-13-2015, 09:44 AM
No.....wares as in objects used in still lifes.

robertsloan2
05-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Right, your living room's piled up with still life objects everywhere you go! Love the concept! Great color harmony and a good study.

You also have an interesting perspective issue that I could not describe till I set up objects on my own carpt to see it. The jars are in good perspective. The plate should be an oval, flattened a bit (not a lot, maybe about 1/6 shorter) in the same direction as the angle of the jars. I could not fgure that out, literally had to lay a lid on the floor next to a jar at the same angle to see what that does to a plate flat on floor.

There's a tool I bought, a plastic proportion divider that is two double ended flat sticks that connect in the middle and can adjust how far from the ends they are that I use to estimate things like depth on ovals. It's really great both for transferring proportions on photos or just holding up at arm's length to check proportions on a still life setup. You can enlarge or reduce with it, just use one end to measure what you see and put the other end down on the paper to scale it.

I got it at Jerry's Artarama but I can't remember what it's called... it's a Prospek measuring tool.

But that perspective thing is only a minor point and more relevant if you redo it on archival materials. For the study it is, wow, spectacular! I love it and you could easily develop it into a serious painting. Gorgeous color and the clear jars are fantastic. Love that bit of plaid couch. It really is a kind of slice of someone's life, having breakfast without benefit of a coffee table!