PDA

View Full Version : 'Lilac' - new still life WIP

Theodorablau
05-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Hi all, I've been away for a while, was busy with visiting children, guests and a trip to Venice with my mother-in-law.
I have begun a new still life, probably my last painting before my trip to the US and the IAPS convention in Albuquerque. I have to start sorting through my pastels and decide which ones to take to the workshops (sally Strand and Stan Sperlak!!!).
I LOVE lilacs, so planted a lilac bush in our garden two years ago. It is in bloom at the moment and had to give up a few flowers for this set-up.
I am working on black AS Colourfix board, size is 12"x18 ".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2015/1115812-Lilac1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2015/1115812-Lilac2.jpg

beetee
05-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Lovely painting so far Theodora :thumbsup: ,
Go quick those lilac won't last forever:)

All the best
Brian

water girl
05-12-2015, 11:04 AM
I love lilacs, but it's not cold enough here to grow them here, only up in the mountains. I can almost smell their fragrance. I know this will be beautiful and I'm looking forward to the finish.

raxu
05-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Love to follow your approach, love lilacs, too! I'm sure the scent will inspire you and this will be another winner. Already looking fascinating! (Our lilacs will bloom later, in about 3 weeks from now).

Theodorablau
05-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Thank you, Brian, Karen and Raxu!

pastel65
05-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Beautiful! My teacher and a fellow student are going to IAPS also. Stan lives not far from my home (about an hour away) but I haven't made it to any of his classes yet. Have a wonderful time. Pam :wave:

Still-trying
05-12-2015, 04:47 PM
I caught my breath when I scrolled down the page....the glass, the water, the stems, the background! Oh I LIKE this!

Blayne
05-12-2015, 09:52 PM
That's going to be absolutely lovely, Dorothea! (And it's great that your lilac bush bloomed after only two years! I have three that bloom but another is ten years old and has never bloomed.) Your upcoming trip sounds wonderful!

Theodorablau
05-13-2015, 02:35 AM
Pam, Jay and Blayne, thank you! Jay, I LOVE painting glass, to discover all the colours it contains and bring it to life with the final highlights.
Pam, Blayne, I am so looking forward to the IAPS convention. It sounds wonderful! In addition to the workshops I have registered for demonstrations by William Schneider, Lorenzo Chavez, Alain Picard and Barbara Jaenicke. So much talent in one place!!! And the candy store!:clap: More Terri Ludwigs!!!:smug:

Mettaphorica
05-13-2015, 05:28 AM
The glass ,the stems, the fallen leaves...they caught my eye and I'm thinking Wow, such simplicity and how beautiful. The fallen leaves make me feel a touch melancholy or wistful....nice!

Your trips sound wonderful (I would like to visit the US again, I loved it)...all the best for that.

Donna

Theodorablau
05-13-2015, 06:47 AM
Donna, thank you very much! Beauty IS transient; my lilac are already starting to droop. What a good thing that there's art to conserve it!!!

Theodorablau
05-13-2015, 08:41 AM
I think it's finished:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2015/1115812-Lilac_finish.jpg

robertsloan2
05-13-2015, 11:31 AM
This is so incredible! I loved lilacs all my life, as a kid I used to pull off florets to suck the tiny bit of nectar out of them. Their smell is overwhelming and joyous. You got the leaves perfect, that blazing clear yellow-green of smooth heart-shaped small leaves! Love the ones on the table. Gorgeous water and peeled woody stems just as I remember them, cut lilacs don't let go of the bush easily! Fantastic volume and lightness on the flower heads, their forms so natural and varied, some drooping and others not. It's too easy to over-stylize lilacs and yours are so natural I want to reach in and swipe the whole vase of them. Did I mention great water too? The water's splendidly wet, the gray background sets everything off perfectly.

The early versions where your dark underpainting on the flowers showed on the ones in back reminded me of some big lilacs that were dark rather than light, they were a deeper redder violet. Their highlights would've been only one step up from your underpainting. I might try doing them someday.

Love it. Wish I could paint that well! (Will someday!)

stapeliad
05-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Seeing your process is wonderful, thanks for sharing! This is a beautiful painting, wonderful textures throughout.

Theodorablau
05-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Robert and stapeliad, thank you both! This was a joy to paint and the perfume of the flowers was an added bonus!

Blayne
05-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Robert said it all--that turned out just gorgeous!

Theodorablau
05-14-2015, 04:30 AM
Thank you very much, Blayne!:wave:

Nick7
05-14-2015, 03:57 PM
The glass is so perfect. :) It's a beautiful painting, Dorothea :) I especially like the leaves on the table.

Theodorablau
05-15-2015, 04:18 AM
Thank you, Nick! I tried out a lot of different arrangement with and without the leaves. I liked this composition best because the leaves balance the top right twigs:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2015/1115812-image.jpg

raxu
05-15-2015, 08:57 AM
This is so incredible! I loved lilacs all my life, as a kid I used to pull off florets to suck the tiny bit of nectar out of them. Their smell is overwhelming and joyous. You got the leaves perfect, that blazing clear yellow-green of smooth heart-shaped small leaves! Love the ones on the table. Gorgeous water and peeled woody stems just as I remember them, cut lilacs don't let go of the bush easily! Fantastic volume and lightness on the flower heads, their forms so natural and varied, some drooping and others not. It's too easy to over-stylize lilacs and yours are so natural I want to reach in and swipe the whole vase of them. Did I mention great water too? The water's splendidly wet, the gray background sets everything off perfectly.

The early versions where your dark underpainting on the flowers showed on the ones in back reminded me of some big lilacs that were dark rather than light, they were a deeper redder violet. Their highlights would've been only one step up from your underpainting. I might try doing them someday.

Love it. Wish I could paint that well! (Will someday!)

I couldn't resist the temptation to quote Robert because I share his thoughts and experiences about the lilacs.
Such a beautiful painting, with a perfect composition as well - a real treat!

Still-trying
05-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Not Fair, Dorothea. You make it look so eeeeeeasy. Oh my. Just lovely.

My Mom always sent lilacs to my teachers. Many a day I walked to school with a bouquet in my hands. Lovely memory. Thank you

Theodorablau
05-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Raxu and Jay, thank you so much! I am really pleased that you love this! Lilacs are so beautiful and I am glad both bushes I planted are flowering this year. This is the first time I painted flowers from my own garden. I think I need a few more flowering shrubs!!!