PDA

View Full Version : WDE 8 May still life

sundiver
05-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Late again- very busy weekend.
I'm still trying to do my "homework". I decided on a limited palette of warm yellow and blue, and a cool red, seemed like it would make nice greens and oranges, didn't have a chart of it yet, so made a little color wheel ( about 3 1/2 inches in diameter) and then a notan on 5x7 canvas board.(And no, Kay, I will not do a chart for every painting :D , only when I don't already have one.)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2015/6393-IMG_0074_400x209.jpg
Then while painting I tried to follow Deano's mantra of "put down a stroke and leave it", and used brishes bigger than usual. total with chart and notan probably 2 1/2 hours
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2015/6393-wdemay8.jpg
I had fun , and learned that with that palette I couldn't get a rich dark red except by layering glazes.
Thanks for hosting, Joel!

skappy
05-12-2015, 01:40 AM
very good Wendy yep it has some Deano's look in the strokes
Robert

Valri Ary
05-12-2015, 03:01 AM
Nice!! And such a teeny tiny wheel. Impressive. Not just the color wheel but the whole thing!!

((secretly wishing you'd started a group on FB))

Marie-Thomas
05-12-2015, 03:49 AM
I keep being amazed about the wonderful things I see here. I really like the painting especially the front pear with the visible brushstrokes.

It's a painting style I admire and want to learn. I'm gonna study your pear and the ref pic a bit more and try to figure it out. Am I right if I think you did do a more blended color layer on the pear first to make the shape and than afterwards layed down your color notes on top of the first layer? So two layers but still wet in wet. Or is it all done by just laying down your colors and no blending whatsoever so more one layer of paint?

Please don't feel obliged to answer me if I am to curious. I am trying to learn and sometimes I forget my manners.

tyree
05-12-2015, 06:28 AM
its gorgeous Wendy ! tyree:wave:

ams
05-12-2015, 07:01 AM
You were so good doing all of that prep. I love how this came out. I like the background, the texture on the fruits and the well placed colorful shadows.

Beautiful work Wendy.

Anne

jlloren
05-12-2015, 07:19 AM
I love it. And yes, I also see Deano touches here and there, especially the foreground pear and the orange at the viewer's right.
Awesome work!

connievanwinssen
05-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Painted beautifully!:)

CARTLEDGE
05-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Wendy, this is awesome! I love it. Please let me in on the secrets of your colour palette next time we meet.

KiwiKate
05-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Such meticulous planning! I need to learn to be more patient if this is the result -- beautiful!

coaltip
05-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Vibrant colors and they look so delicious. Kudos.

rozzi
05-13-2015, 09:29 AM
I really like the way you have done this, and your palette is great, much more subtle than mine :) I am enjoying the workshop but finding using one large brush a challenge. I've just done week 2.

I keep being amazed about the wonderful things I see here. I really like the painting especially the front pear with the visible brushstrokes.

It's a painting style I admire and want to learn. I'm gonna study your pear and the ref pic a bit more and try to figure it out. Am I right if I think you did do a more blended color layer on the pear first to make the shape and than afterwards layed down your color notes on top of the first layer? So two layers but still wet in wet. Or is it all done by just laying down your colors and no blending whatsoever so more one layer of paint?

Please don't feel obliged to answer me if I am to curious. I am trying to learn and sometimes I forget my manners.

Marie-Thomas you can find a workshop on the direct style of painting at
http://www.strathmoreartist.com/artist-studio/about/

KreativeK
05-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Absolutely gorgeous, Wendy!

surob
05-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Beautiful. Nice strokes!

Charlie's Mum
05-14-2015, 03:38 PM
It has a nice jiucy feel to it (like Deano's juicy strokes!) - love your colour choice.

dabblerdot
05-15-2015, 01:25 AM
The more I look at this, the better and better I like it ! Those frosty grapes, crisp pear, and then that luscious orange !! Great work !