PDA

View Full Version : WIP - C&C Please

rvhamburg
05-11-2015, 03:06 PM
New work in progress, 16 x 20 on Ampersand PastelBoard.
Randy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2015/986332-Sedona_1001A.jpg

water girl
05-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Great start, Randy! Is this straight pastel on the Ampersand, or is there a wash in there as well?

jackiesimmonds
05-12-2015, 05:58 AM
Randy - before you go much further, consider the time of day. That will affect the direction of the light from the sun even if it is behind clouds.

If there was sun in the scene, those bushes on the hillsides would be throwing shadows down onto the ground. If no sun, there might still be shadows, just softer ones. Putting in the shadows will help to "ground" the bushes, so they look less like creepy crawlies on the hillside!

Certainly with textured rocks, rockfaces which pick up light from the sky will be lighter than those facing away from the sky.

Your "red rocks" are lovely and warm and cheerful, but be careful of using blues or purples for the shadows. oranges tend to have darker, brownish cooler colour for shadows - you can usually see the colour "through" the shadow.

look carefully at this pic, you will see what I mean. there is nothing purple or blue in the shadow areas:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2015/1805-red_rocks.jpg

robertsloan2
05-12-2015, 07:32 AM
At this stage it's looking surreal, very bright and jarring. Reminds me of something and I'm not sure what. Well worn, eroded, vegetation climbing bright onto those rocks, you've got the start of something interesting. The shadows don't always follow the lay of the land, like you've got deep cracks and places getting dark by shading and then patches of purple just laid there in other places. So it looks surreal. A bit psychedelic. The muted color below the hills and a loose sense of perspective there really makes me think of getting stoned in the desert.

Now if this is an underpainting, yeah, accidental effect. But if it's the intent to be surreal, who needs drugs, it's got a searing hyper intensity that leads off into the distance toward some inner meaning. Jacqui's comments notwithstanding, you could really take this in a surreal direction.

rvhamburg
05-12-2015, 08:17 AM
Karen - yes, I did a dry underpainting on the lower portion. Used a very dark earth orange - perhaps another color would have worked better.

Jackie - I see what you mean with the shadows and shadow color - I'll work on that as I continue with this one. The photo will help a lot.

Rob - I like that - stoned in the desert! I might have to work try the surreal idea - makes me think more.

Thanks to all of you for the comments - they help more than you know as I work to become a better painter.

Randy

pastel65
05-13-2015, 08:54 AM
Nice start. Agree with Jackie - she is such an accomplished artist. I on the other hand still a student, but do have a recommendation. In my opinion you need a focal area. An area that pulls the eye in. Another well accomplished artist, Richard McKinley advised us in his class at our art association, that he looks for main focal area and then had two additional, less highlighted focal areas in many of his paintings.

My teacher has us leave the brightest colors for the focal area. She will often encourage a path to the focal point. For example, in your ground area you could make up light grasses, weeds, etc, that "weave" a path to focal area.

Another trick she taught us, was to pull down a little of the sky color over those back mountains to push them back.

I have learned so many tricks, such as rubbing finger over pastel and tapping on painiting to get certain effects such as toning down area or bringing some subtle color to break up solid color areas. Consider a class in your area.

Pam :wave: