PDA

View Full Version : Two construction paper pieces.

thevaliantx
05-10-2015, 04:38 PM
12x9" pastel on construction paper. The last one I feel took me another step forward. In that one I tried to move the eyes around with colors that are shared by elements.

Blayne
05-10-2015, 06:50 PM
These are both SO gorgeous and original! Kudos! I think the inside of the yellow cup could go cooler, maybe even into blue, but not a big deal. I love the softness of these and the patterning and compositions.

water girl
05-10-2015, 07:46 PM
George, I particularly like the composition on the first one. I agree with Blayne that you could go with a cooler color for the inside for the yellow cup.

robertsloan2
05-11-2015, 07:18 AM
I love that first one. Inside of yellow bowl could be shadowed. Ellipses good. Vases so beautiful, blue one looks transparent! Loose and powerful and lovely.

Second one cheerful, cool layout, perspective inconsistent. Vase isn't sitting on the plate, but at a diffrent eye height, cup is not on same plane as plate or vase. Vase is so close to eye height it looks squashed to fit inside the picture. Yet I like somethng about the layout, if you fix the perspective or that was deliberately surreal then both could be "keep and redo on nice paper."

You do great on the construction paper strong colors and texture, seriously consider getting some Mi-Tientes in these colors!

raxu
05-11-2015, 07:52 AM
How joyful and interesting! I feel attracted to the first one, as well.
BTW, what is "construction paper"...?

thevaliantx
05-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Robert, remember that I already have the Mi-Teintes paper? Anytime I use that you also see me mention that I am using my Mount Vision pastels.

Raxu, construction paperis the stuff Japanese house walls are made of. Just kidding, it is a fragile, usually non-lightfast crafting paper that is thicker than printer paper. To me it almost feels like velvet, and it nicely grabs color off pastel sticks. Robert no doubt knows more about this than I do. He's the salesman who knows anything about everything on the store shelves, but every customer is a new customer :)

Can shadows be a cooler version of the color they are counterparted with, or do they have to be a cool color? I never thought about that until Blayne and Watergirl mentioned the cup's shadow.

I just think it's amazing....a year ago I would have NEVER gave consideration to the types of colors and their uses. God, I love painting :)

robertsloan2
05-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Hahahaha! LOL yeah if I was capable of working I would just apply to Dick Blick and list all the customer service people as my references. They know me!

Construction paper is heavy children's colored paper, the stuff you did cutouts in kindergarten with or made paper chains. It comes in 10-20 colors, is so fugitive you can do light painting with it by putting cutouts laying on the page to fade only the exposed paper but as George said, has a wonderful toothy painting surface. Takes dry media well including crayon of course.

George, I mean specifically sheets of Mi-Tientes that match the construction paper colors, the bright red, royal blue, screaming kelly green, brown and so on. They are good colors and I think M-T still has them all. Some of these paintings you do on it are so phenomenal I hope you do redo them in artist grade materials.

Are you using student pastels on these studies? It's so tempting. I have some studnt grade sketchbooks I may start doing quick studies in.

thevaliantx
05-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Robert, awwwww.....thanks for the kind words :) I don't know how good my work really is. On Facebook I sometimes get a handful of likes, but rarely anything more than single-word comments. Thankfully they aren't four letter words :)

Maybe to get some comments I can wish everyone Happy Mother's Day for next year, ask people to give the painting a name or just say that I made a painting for Grandma Suzie.

pastel65
05-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Looks like you had fun with pastels and colors. They are appealing paintings. Pam :wave:

raxu
05-12-2015, 03:05 AM
Thanks George and Robert for the explanation. Oh my, I just gave my block of construction paper to my grandkids:)

thevaliantx
05-12-2015, 05:22 AM
Raxu, don't fret. Get the Pacon Tru-Ray construction paper. You can get a pack of FIFTY sheets in 24x36" size I think for very cheap. Supposed to be stronger than normal construction paper.