PDA

View Full Version : "Sleeping Beauty"

thevaliantx
05-10-2015, 05:09 AM
1611" Mount Vision pastel on Mi-Teintes Touchpad

I am trying to learn how to draw the figure. This poor woman looks like she was murdered just before breakfast. My apologies. I also need to learn how to draw flowers in a setting where things in a still life are viewed from a distance.

In some ways I like this, but not sure why. This upcoming week I will get the chromatic set in the mail. This will give me more choices. To my eyes the assorted set is too dark on the whole. While the chromatic set is too bright. The two sets I think will be a perfect match!

Blayne
05-10-2015, 08:13 AM
LOL George, perhaps not murdered, but just in an early morning fog trying to find her coffee amidst all the clutter on her table! (I'd say you've been in my home and secretly photographed me one morning, but I'm not sure I look that good! :lol: )

Seriously, this is quite a nice painting! I love the way you are using patterns. It reminds me of Matisse, although he used more intense color--which you may gravitate toward when your new pastels arrive. In this, you've combined some psychological portraiture with a touch of whimsy, and it gives the viewer a lot to look at and wonder about. IMHO a painting with such an up-close view of a human face is going to draw the viewer's attention to that person as the center of interest. In this one, the woman, seen from slightly above, seems dressed in a winter coat and hat and seems to be looking in at a cafe window displaying the elevated table with its disparate objects. One cannot see the diners, and there is an air of sadness to the scene that the whimsically strewn flowers cannot disguise. And, although she appears to be outside the window, the background seems more like an interior with someone (a baby?) seated at a table. It's a very interesting composition!

The painting may not meet standards of realism, but it is certainly a success as an interesting, pleasing, and somewhat compelling composition of patterns, colors and shapes on paper!

thevaliantx
05-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Blayne, you are creeping me out. You might be creeped out when I tell you something about this painting. I never intended for the woman you see on the left looking in through the glass or sitting at the table. She just appeared. What is really there is a naked lady lying on bed. Do you see her pillow? ;)

I wanted to say that I am flattered that you compared me to Matisse. In some ways I can see myself headed in that direction, but what I am really after is some sort of mixture of realism, impressionism and broken color.

robertsloan2
05-10-2015, 08:35 AM
You succeeded in something subtle and interesting with this. It is an interesting, compelling composition of patterns, colors and shapes on paper. The still life in front of the figure grabs interest and I'm still trying to see the figure. The herbal tea on the table steams up and the plants cross over her, reducing interest in the figure and breaking up her form. You mentioned she looks dead on the floor. Sleeping or dead, she's hidden along with any story she's had. It's an interesting painting.

That's the thing, an element that gets crossed by another is reduced in importance and yet a figure's always a center of interest. So there's this theme going on, a woman whose life isn't the center of interest in her life, someone who sacrifices and isn't appreciated. This one's deep.

thevaliantx
05-10-2015, 08:47 AM
I am having a lot of fun reading all the responses. I think it would be best for me not to reveal where she is. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Robert.

Blayne
05-10-2015, 11:07 AM
I really like Robert's interpretation. This is a deep painting. And reminds me of the saying that every painting is a self-portrait. But I'm laughing, George, because I don't see a naked woman. All I see on that pillow (which I initially saw as a chair) is what might be a dead fish sprinkled with croutons! :lol:

thevaliantx
05-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Blayne, she is lying on the ground. :) Her right arm is wrapped over the pillow and behind her head. If you start from the left of the painting her knees are bent under the sheet.

Blayne
05-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Ok, maybe I see her head and arm. That just adds another level to this interesting painting!