PDA

View Full Version : Best paint for my new project

lowesguy
05-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Hi all! here's my question? I'm going to start working on a new endever and need some tips from the pro's
1- I will be painting 30X30 UN stretched canvas paintings
2- they will be rolled up and shipped in a tube

So 1st,what type of acrylic paint would work well on the canvas once rolled up? I'm afraid cracking the paint if its rolled,is there an additive that prevents this? or can I just use latex paint???

also I will be painting a large number of theses 30x30's ,so paint has to be affordable for now.

lowesguy
05-10-2015, 04:24 AM
So found this for sale,but he has
no price and is fielding offers? whats this worth? here's the AD.

I have a few large and medium rolls of Pebeo Fragonard linen canvas for sale.
These were purchased at Green and Stone of Chelsea by an artist that is no longer able to paint due to health issues. I don't know much about the stuff other than that it was ordered from Europe at about $800.00 per roll. I am looking to sell it all at once if possible. There are several complete medium size rolls and a couple of large rolls which both have had some of
the canvas used.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2015/1536000-00c0c_bj6Q8stA8aF_600x450.jpg

idylbrush
05-10-2015, 10:31 AM
If primed, you need to find out if it is oil primed or acrylic primed.

As far as rolling, roll the canvas with the painted surface out and protected. Be sure you have let the work cure for at least 4 weeks, more if time is available. I try to protect the surface with glassine and it seems to work well.

lowesguy
05-10-2015, 12:18 PM
I plan on using acrylic's only, that a good idea on which prime, I don't see how in the AD they state ,original purchase price was $800 per roll??? he said some are 30" long. one more question my wife brought up is ,if you cut the 30X30 canvas's ,you will have to finish the cut edge or it will unravel,any info on that here?
Thanks for the help by the way!:wave:

Folio
05-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Two things about the canvas -- first, the rolls shown in the photo look like they have only a yard or two remaining in each, so you might want to ask the seller to measure it and then compare with other sources on a per-yard basis. Second, all canvas is very tightly woven, so unlike ordinary fabric it doesn't unravel after cutting.

lowesguy
05-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Ok thanks ,they do look light, Now I found this on ebay 30"X60" $119+ free shipping,double primed oil or acrylic,seems like a good deal? I can make 25 30"X30" paintings,they will be sold and shipped rolled in a tube,what the consensus here?
Thanks again!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Primed-Artist-Canvas-Roll-100-Cotton-30-x-60ft-for-Oils-or-Acrylics-/271713839115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4368280b

Folio
05-11-2015, 12:22 AM
The eBay canvas roll is 30" x 60 yards.
A yard is 36" so 60 yds should give you 60 x 36 = 2160", divide by 30 = 72 canvases.
The price is very good at $1.98 per yard. Medium weight primed canvas 63" inches wide at Blick is 11.33/yard.
Maybe I've got the math wrong ... ?

One thing to consider is the width of the canvas. Even though you're painting at 30" x 30", won't you need some extra all around to attach to stretchers later? If not, then this roll might be a good buy.

magnolya
05-11-2015, 01:43 AM
Folio your math was right but your measurement was wrong. The ad states 30"x 60'ft which equals 30"x720" which comes out to 24 canvases at 30x30. They would cost aprox. 5.30 per canvas.

lowesguy
05-11-2015, 02:13 AM
As far as size, I should probably leave room for it to be stretched onto a frame,customer will be responsible to have that done at a framers shop, shipping in a tube insures the product will arrive safely. and shipping will be cheap!

Folio
05-11-2015, 08:18 AM
Ah that's it Magnolya, I had a feeling something was wrong, thanks. So in fact since the Blick canvas is more than twice as wide, the price is in the same ballpark as Blick.

The main problem though is the width. At 30" wide it doesn't leave any margin for stretching later so that would rule it out. The amount needed for 3/4" stretchers would be about 1.5" all round -- that is, each canvas would measure 33 x 33". Hope this helps and best of luck with the endeavor.

lowesguy
05-11-2015, 10:19 AM
So final product once stretched would have to be 28.5,hmmm? that may be an odd size? I need to call our local framer think its Michael's ,and ask if 30" is more standard? havent talked about the paint yet,but we will! I'm learning alot here thanks everyone!

jennifervs
05-11-2015, 10:23 AM
You mentioned using latex? Be careful, as it could crack, Professional quality gessoes and acrylics should not crack when rolled. But always test first, as there are different interpretations as to what is "professional" or not!

lowesguy
05-11-2015, 11:53 AM
On the paint I will have to to lots of research, but for now before paint I have to get the formula for canvas size and stretcher bar size
Lots to think about!
The scenario is,customer buys my product online,they receive a painted canvas rolled in a tube,they go to a framer and have it mounted to frame.

I don't want them getting ripped off on having custom framing done due to odd size. so canvas roll may have to be 36" to allow for proper framing of 30X30, in this chart I don't see 30"X30"? so may have to go down to 24X24 finished size. so that roll of 30"x60' may work fine for the 24x24.
Painting is way easier for me than figuring this part out!haha:lol:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/DOWNLOADS/PDFs/WEBSITE/Stretcher-bar-cross-brace-layout.pdf

cinderblockstudios
05-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Look for artists or professional grade acrylics as they will ensure the best quality. Also try to keep the canvas at least partially stretched prior to shipping, this will avoid any unnecessary warping.

mojportret
05-19-2015, 04:39 AM
You mentioned using latex? Be careful, as it could crack, Professional quality gessoes and acrylics should not crack when rolled. But always test first, as there are different interpretations as to what is "professional" or not!

Jennifer is right. Be careful ! Make a short test with latex first. :)

idylbrush
05-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Have you considered Chroma Acrylics. They are priced in a agreeable range and if I remember right, they seem to have decent coverage.