PDA

View Full Version : Flowering Tree WIP xp Spotlight

robertsloan2
05-09-2015, 10:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2015/70184-5-9-2015_Flowering_Tree_1_Underpainting.jpg
Flowering Tree underpainting
5" x 7"
Winsor & Newton Artists' watercolour
Pastel Premier X-fine grit white sanded pastel paper.
Photo reference by DAK723

Started with a purple monochrome underpainting, inspired by this Karen Margulis article. (http://kemstudios.blogspot.com/2015/05/why-does-violet-help-landscape-painting.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PaintingMyWorldByKarenMargulis+%28Painting+my+World+by+Karen+Margulis%29)I love the color and have been aware violet is a friend of green for a long time. In landscape painting my favorite palette is a secondary triad with some turquoise or warm light blue added. Of course this one I also planned to jazz up with some flowers in the smaller bushes and plantings. The photo has a yellow forsythia bush right next to the big white flowering tree and I'll fill that out with more flowers, but also add pink and purple and other flower colors wherever it looks good, also turn bare smaller trees into other flowering trees. Because I like flowers. It's my painting, so I'll get as flower mad as I want to. Much easier to paint this than try gardening in the yard I haven't got!

AnnaLisa
05-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Wow, bold beginning. I like that!!
It will be fun to follow this:)

Maybe there are nice gardens in your area of the world that you can
sit and enjoy while painting, and other make the gardening work:)

Blayne
05-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Robert, this is a gorgeous, bold start!

Gardening vs. painting? All winter, I've painted, frequently cursing the process. Recently I've been gardening and am now cursing gardening. Just proves, "The grass is always greener ..." and needing mowing! :lol:

Mettaphorica
05-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Wow, bold! I'm sure it's going to be amazing!
Donna

robertsloan2
05-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Purr thank you! I can already see a couple of changes I'll make in pasteling it, but most of what's on there is already the value it'll be.

robertsloan2
05-10-2015, 09:12 PM
The finish! I changed the title to plural for obvious reasons.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2015/70184-5-10-2015_Flowering_Trees.jpg
Flowering Trees
5" x 7"
Holbein pastels and Winsor & Newton watercolor
on white X-Fine Pastel Premier sanded pastel paper
Photo reference by DAK723 for May 2015 Pastel Spotlight

Still-trying
05-11-2015, 04:55 AM
Robert: how refreshing after this long winter! Just lovely!!

Blayne
05-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Lovely colors in this! Just IMHO I think the white tree/shrub could use more variation, perhaps showing some smaller limbs and indications of the flowers? And I think the white below the base makes it look almost as if it's floating instead of grounded. These flowering shrubs are so beautiful--and so hard to depict in painting! (Last year my mock orange bush was so beautiful in bloom, but my painting ... :( ) Your trees in the background are just gorgeous, and I have no idea how you achieved those exact yellows of forsythia! And the pinks look just like azaleas!

robertsloan2
05-11-2015, 09:25 AM
I grew up with forsythia everywhere, Blayne, they were very familiar to me. I liked them as they were a first sign of spring even before the lilacs.

Hmm... you could be right. I don't usually rework paintings and already matted this but I'll think about it, may be worth taking it down from the wall. Or doing another version of the big white tree. That's a time organization thing. I'd almost like to take that tree and make it even larger in the painting, give it more contrast with the sky and more detail. Had a little trouble with delicate marks with those pastels on that paper, so will definitely keep your critique in mind.

Norma46
05-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Rob: That wall of yours must be getting full! (lol)

Blayne
05-11-2015, 11:35 AM
You are amazing, that you get things matted and hung so quickly. And if your painting looks good on your wall, of course ignore my comment! Paintings look very different IRL, so trust your judgment!

robertsloan2
05-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Purr thank you! Yeah, it looks great on the wall in the mat I stole from a previous 5 x 7" landscape that didn't look as good. I rotate the wall when it's full, that's all. Sometimes rotate the mats too since I only hinge to it on the top. Doesn't really damage what comes off to get stored.

It's a whole lot better than what it replaced. I usually take down the worst of what's there to put something new so the wall's always looking better. Colourful Cherries isn't going anywhere and the colourful tomato stayed a good long time too even if it's simple.